Robin Mather Frames (Bristol)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Proodou

Robin Mather Frames (Bristol)

Post by Proodou »

Hi,

I'm all new to this forum. I heard Robin Mather' name a good while ago from a tourer friend. I'm now interested in a custom frame, and I'm wondering if Robin is still making frames out of Bristol? I checked his website but couldn't see any contact information, so I thought I'd hit up the forums.

Anyone got some advice on how to get in touch with him, maybe go for a visit to his workshop to discuss the particulars? I'm relatively local to Bristol.

Cheers,

Adam
Vetus Ossa

Re: Robin Mather Frames (Bristol)

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Why not pop into Argos cycles, they will build anything you want and though still expensive I imagine they will not cost as much as a Robin Mather would, though price may not be a factor for you?
As you say there are no contact details or prices on his web site so perhaps someone local will know if he's still building and if so where he is.
Beauty will save the world.
Proodou

Post by Proodou »

Hi Vetus,

It's not that price isn't an issue, it most certainly is. However, I get the feeling that I'm only going to buy a touring bike once, and therefore, it'll be an investment for the future, meaning I'll spend as much as I can afford to get the best I can. There is something about a custom built bike, too, from an independant frame builder.

I've not heard of Argo cycles, I'll check them out.

Cheers,

Adam
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Haven't been in touch with him for a while but in the past when he has many orders to fulfil he stops taking new ones. His last pricing that I am aware was around £1800 for a touring frame. But for that you are getting something special.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

May I just say "oof!" That's quite a lot of money (I know, obvious statement is obvious and all that, but still).
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Proodou wrote:I'm only going to buy a touring bike once, and therefore,
That's what I said 45 years ago when I borrowed money from my parents - "I'll never need another one". I have had many since.

I've not heard of Argo cycles, I'll check them out.
Argos (as in the catalogue shop) Racing Cycles http://argoscycles.com do not be put off by "racing cycles", they build all sorts. They have been in business since the early/mid 1970s, originally down in the old dock buildings. They were pioneers in low profile racing cycles, and at the opposite end of the spectrum they built very tough touring frame http://www.purelyaloveofthebike.co.uk/ih_argos_02.htm for Ian Hibell https://www.amazon.co.uk/Into-Remote-Pl ... 0860512452 I lived in Bristol mid 70s to mid 80s and they did some work on frames for me, built me a tandem frame, and I've used them for resprays several times. Compared with many other names they are expensive, but not as much as many modern "artisan" builders.

Edit - Just had a look at Robin Mather website. Prices are there, tucked away with specific frame types such as "road". The prices are very similar to those of Argos.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I don't know his current arrangements but for a long time Robin had his frames painted at Argos Racing Cycles and may still do so.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".