modern cycle light

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
andrew_s

Re: modern cycle light

Post by andrew_s »

reohn2 wrote:And this diffuser:- https://www.amazon.co.uk/SEEN-ANGLE-DIF ... ike+lights

the diffuser will spread the beam into a wide sausage shape across and cuts off stray upward light.

Oh no it doesn't.

Any reduction in the dazzle of oncoming vehicles is because the light is spread more left and right, and consequently a little less bright straight ahead
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mjr wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Norman H wrote:
In my view the torch like offerings, even when fitted with diffusers, are only suitable for off road riding.

The $64K question.Have you tried one?

I think a lot of us (myself included, when I moved to the end of a road along dark clifftops from town, ten years ago!) will have used torch-like lights at some point in the past and some of us with diffusers, but not those specific ones because who would want to waste money once they've seen decent lights?

But have you used one of the one's I'm using?
There are a couple of people on the forum who use the same light as myself one of who recommended the diffuser to me and will vouch for the it's non dazzle yet good beam spread for dark roads and lanes,But then we've been through all this before.
So I ask the same question have you used this particular light with this particular diffuser?

Whilst we're on the subject I'll mention again one of the worst lights I had dazzle me was a German regulation hub powered dynamo light this one in fact:- https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting/sc ... -polished/

By the way, it seems the images from viewtopic.php?f=1&t=92132&p=845612#p845612 have been deleted.

IIRC they were either copied from my other computer which is now permanently off line,or from an early subscription of Picasa now dead.
Nothing sinister going on there I can assure you,but one thing that thread does show is that I tried to arrest the upward stray light with a hood,before finding the diffuser that solved the problem and made the spot beam wider in the bargain.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

andrew_s wrote:
reohn2 wrote:And this diffuser:- https://www.amazon.co.uk/SEEN-ANGLE-DIF ... ike+lights

the diffuser will spread the beam into a wide sausage shape across and cuts off stray upward light.

Oh no it doesn't.

Any reduction in the dazzle of oncoming vehicles is because the light is spread more left and right, and consequently a little less bright straight ahead

I've done the tests and perhaps the word 'cuts' may be too definitive,'reduces substantially' maybe a better description.
Whatever,with the diffuser fitted the light doesn't dazzle oncoming traffic be they pedestrians,cyclist or motorists.
W H Auden
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

I'll add my endorsement to Exposure lights - not cheap but they are bright and reliable. Possibly the Strada model will be your friend as it has a dipped beam feature. On the subject of brightness and lux and lumens, they are not so important as the beam optics and how the light is projected and directed and that you can only really get from seeing the actual light working.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

this is my light of choice for unlit road riding.
https://www.mantel.com/uk/sigma-pava?gc ... 7QodfsoPUA
25 Lux, all focused on the road,no spill at all, works for me at 30+mph downhill runs, long run time, circa 40hrs at lower setting which is still plenty enough light whilst cruising. Takes 4AA batts (I use fujitsu), handlebar clamp fits to any bar, any width (so easy to mount anywhere on a tapered bar) in about 3 seconds and is about 5 sec to remove. Even at 30mph on a very uneven road the mount is solid as a rock.
You can buy them with a charger direct to the unit but I prefer my own that does all the batts I use.
If you need more light the sigma speedster or sportster may do.
http://www.sigma-lighting.com/en/front- ... er-en.html
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

reohn2 wrote:
Norman H wrote:
In my view the torch like offerings, even when fitted with diffusers, are only suitable for off road riding.

The $64K question.Have you tried one?

I have indeed tried torch like lights with diffusers. It's some years since but I began by making my own lights based on various circuits here. The biggest problem is not the electronics but the optics.

Its easy enough these days to produce a lot of light but directing that light to create a road friendly beam is more difficult. The StVZO std is a reasonably sensible goal to aim for and the key is in reflector design. Diffusers and lenses have a role to play but come a poor second to the approach taken by the likes of B&M and others.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Norman H wrote:
I have indeed tried torch like lights with diffusers. It's some years since but I began by making my own lights based on various circuits here. The biggest problem is not the electronics but the optics.

Its easy enough these days to produce a lot of light but directing that light to create a road friendly beam is more difficult. The StVZO std is a reasonably sensible goal to aim for and the key is in reflector design. Diffusers and lenses have a role to play but come a poor second to the approach taken by the likes of B&M and others.

TBH the link is far to technical for me,I'm interested in seeing where I'm going without dazzling anyone,and being seen by others on the same road or cycle path.
I agree that a good purpose built light could be better,but the light and diffuser I linked to up thread give ample light with a good beam spread without hindrance to others as I've posted above.In short they work and work well and that's all I can say.
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

get two lights (Before you start WW3)
I like the sort of lights that scare the birds out of the trees and melt the tarmac 20 meters ahead, but there's no doubt they can be anti social (Evan more so on a bike path) So I have a German aproved fork crown light, usually dynamo and a 700 lumen (Yes I know it means nothing but I like the numbers) Niterider, a bit like this one
http://www.highonbikes.com/special-offe ... 7Qod_xwAZA
I bought it as my previous Nitrider had lasted 10 years and then it was retired just because the battery pack became tired. They've changed the holder on the one linked, I'm not sure if it still swivels like mine, I use it as a dip pointing it to the left as a car approaches (or to the right if they "forget" to dip)
The two light approach works for me and I like night riding.
nez

Post by nez »

Even though you don't all agree on the subject you've taught me a lot in this short thread. Thanks.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

The problem with lights is that none of us knows how they appear to other users. Why do manufacturers produce so many different types of lights?http://www.bumm.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Katalog/B_M__Catalogue_2015_16__English.pdf
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

MikeF wrote:The problem with lights is that none of us knows how they appear to other users. Why do manufacturers produce so many different types of lights?http://www.bumm.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Katalog/B_M__Catalogue_2015_16__English.pdf

They do if they take the trouble to have their wife and SinL stand up the road and ask if the light is dazzling them.
W H Auden
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

reohn2 wrote:
MikeF wrote:The problem with lights is that none of us knows how they appear to other users. Why do manufacturers produce so many different types of lights?http://www.bumm.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Katalog/B_M__Catalogue_2015_16__English.pdf

They do if they take the trouble to have their wife and SinL stand up the road and ask if the light is dazzling them.
I think I would prefer an on the road test ie with other road users. I wasn't thinking of just dazzling from a front light, but lights in general. How do we look from a motorist's or another cyclist's view, either oncoming or from behind? Still subjective though, but if I'm walking, driving or cycling I often think what's good/bad about that cyclist's lights when I see one.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Other hint is that B&M Dynamo lights can run off a PP3 for quite a long time...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

The utility cyclist wrote:this is my light of choice for unlit road riding.
https://www.mantel.com/uk/sigma-pava?gc ... 7QodfsoPUA
25 Lux, all focused on the road,no spill at all, works for me at 30+mph downhill runs, long run time, circa 40hrs at lower setting which is still plenty enough light whilst cruising. Takes 4AA batts (I use fujitsu), handlebar clamp fits to any bar, any width (so easy to mount anywhere on a tapered bar) in about 3 seconds and is about 5 sec to remove. Even at 30mph on a very uneven road the mount is solid as a rock.
You can buy them with a charger direct to the unit but I prefer my own that does all the batts I use.
If you need more light the sigma speedster or sportster may do.
http://www.sigma-lighting.com/en/front- ... er-en.html

Interesting. I wasn't aware of this. I usually use a hope vision 1 for unlit country roads and like it. It has passed the test of the dunwich dynamo a few times plus getting me down the North Downs in the middle of the night with a dodgy road surface to check. But the mount for the hope is a fag. Have you used a Hope Vision 1? If so, how would you compare the two?
Can you get spare mounts for this Pava light? I assume that the mount is separate from the light unit.
Which Fujitsu batteries do you use?
Alologies for all the questions but am very interested.
Sweep
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

In MY experience a 2 year old Chinese 1200 Cree lamp fitted with a C&B SEEN Diffuser provides very satisfactory lighting for my needs (even on the lower setting) - low traffic density, dark rural lanes with sometimes fast mountainous downhill sections. The diffuser does indeed spread the beam in a successeful manner.

I'm satisfied that it doesn't dazzle oncoming traffic. This is 'measured' by noting how many oncoming vehicles dip their headlights in plenty of time and DON'T then flash their full beam at me in anger. Were the bicycle light to be aligned so as to provide less than optimum illumination for cycling - ie pointing up and not providing sufficient close road vision, it would dazzle other road sharers. So would the B&M Cyo Premium and Edelux II dymano lamps I use on two other bikes, were they incorrectly aligned.
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"