Getting insurance for deliveroo

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
hamlet1222

Getting insurance for deliveroo

Post by hamlet1222 »

Hi,

My son is at college and has recently started working for Deliveroo, this is one of these 'gig economy' jobs where the riders are not employees but classified as self-employed, this means no insurance, no health and safety, and minimal training. Still, it pays much better than any other job a 16 year old can get, keeps him fit, and it's the kind of job I'd have liked at his age.

I've been looking into cycle insurance, but it seems it doesn't exist for delivery cyclists. For mopeds and scooters you can get 'commercial' insurance for about £900 a year (a rip off), but nothing at all for cyclists. So basically it's safe to assume all deliveroo riders are uninsured.

Does anyone know of any insurance companies that cover self-employed bicycle delivery?
Toffee

Re: Getting insurance for deliveroo

Post by Toffee »

Have looked at Cycle Plan

https://www.cycleplan.co.uk
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

When I was a motorcycle despatch rider I had specific courier insurance from the Co-op. And it cost hardly any more than standard insurance. But:
a) that was 20+ years ago
b) it was motorcycle
c) even among m/c d/rs, it was very rare to have specific insurance; most were technically uninsured (though it's unlikely it would actually have been a problem in the event of a collision – I never heard of any)

Co-op insurance were the only firm that did it back then.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Cycleplan wouldn't extend their normal 3rd party cycle insurance to include business use when I asked them.

(see http://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=105171&hilit=insurance#p1002122)
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I would have thought that Deliveroo was one of those companies that might have its self employed status rescinded that has happened to other companies that claim to use self employed people but in practice prevent the jobbers from doing other work?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I'd have thought that as most non-employees will have the same problem that their non-employer would have found a company (or two) that can offer their non-employees such cover. Sort of a non-employee info sheet "1. You must ... 2. You must not ... 3. You can get insurance cover from ..."

Ian
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

That's assuming that Deliveroo care whether their non employees need or have insurance in case they cause any damage whilst being self-employed but only working for deliveroo.

I do suspect there are a large number of uninsured drivers working as couriers and other jobs having not informed their insurance companies.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Maybe ask another company who use cyclists for advice, Royal mail or one of the other mail or courier companies.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I know this isn't the question, but be alert to the fact that if your son is still 16, he is still protected/ restricted by the law and local byelaws covering the employment of schoolchildren. Also, since the liquor licensing laws were changed I'm totally out-of-date but there may be restrictions on under 18's delivering booze. Finally, depending on what, if any, paperwork has been completed, to the extent that any contract can be enforced, it may be against you rather than him.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Bike courier wins 'gig' economy employment rights case

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38534524

(This seems as good a place as anywhere to park this.)
shiznit76

Post by shiznit76 »

out of curiosity, why do you want insurance anyway, does he need it for working with the company incase he crashes in to someone/thing?
hamlet1222

Post by hamlet1222 »

Just in case of an accident, or theft, to cover the repair/replacement cost of the bike, and any third parties.
BlueMontage

Post by BlueMontage »

A Deliveroo (and others) cyclist myself, I have been looking for info on this for a while. Deliveroo themselves are no help.... they have a contract which states that we should have adequate insurance, yet offer no assistance or information, even when requested. Almost everyone believes it is impossible to find, which is understandable but not quite true. Conventional cycle insurers won't cover it.
Another poster mentioned Park Insurance.... and there is also Ashburnham Insurance. Park do public liability plus options for your bike and personal injury, Ashburnham only do public liability. There may be other similar companies or brokers, but it takes effort to find them.
Question is, who is willing to pay for it? Who should? A cycle solicitor suggests that claims can be bought against Deliveroo for incidents involving their cyclists, regardless of how many times they have indemnified themselves of liability in their contracts. I certainly feel that as a company they should at least be assisting us and obtaining better rates for insurance, including our own risk.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

The quote I got from Park was in hundreds of pounds......
Edit .....i.e above 500 :shock:
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)