Concrete bike stands

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
robc02

Re: Concrete bike stands

Post by robc02 »

freiston wrote:Here's something similar to what you describe; I saw it after following the ebay link for the concrete blocks up-thread:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Bike-Fl ... SwEzxYZLfT

That's roughly a metal version of the wooden ones I use in my shed:

Shedrack1.jpg

As you can see, they are home made and inside the shed, but would be just as easy to fit outside. The spacing is chosen to suit the width of tyres being used. I have been using them for at least ten years. Cheap, simple and effective.
Attachments
Shedrack2.jpg
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Excellent! :D

I could easily fix a couple of horizontal battens to a convenient outside wall and fix the verticals to them. The base slots wouldn't have to be long, just sufficient to hold a wheel steady. It's not as if it will be there to store a bike, just to support it whilst I get my act together prior to (and after) rides.
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

A bit of kerb stone set in the ground then you can use the traditional pedal against kerb method people used for years.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

pete75 wrote:A bit of kerb stone set in the ground then you can use the traditional pedal against kerb method people used for years.

In addition, you could set two longitudinal "kerbs" (at a lesser height perhaps, and not necessarily concrete) to coincide with the outer faces of the front and rear tyres where they touch the ground. This will avoid the occasions when the tyres lose friction (for whatever reason), slide away outwards and dump the bike.

I like the elegance of this solution, as well as its "nod" to past times
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm not sure about the kerb stone idea.
In the old days, we had "pedals", but these days, we have "units".

M Campag pedals on Mercian are expensive and not designed to have a base to sit on concrete, and the ones on Moulton are Speedplay Frogs with a fitting both sides.

I was out today, and found a good idea,
I'll be fettling and sorting tomorrow or the day after .............. photos to follow. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Mick F wrote:I'm not sure about the kerb stone idea....

M Campag pedals on Mercian are expensive and not designed to have a base to sit on concrete, and the ones on Moulton are Speedplay Frogs with a fitting both sides.......

which is why I suggested a lump of wood be used in exactly this fashion, waaaaay upthread.... :roll:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep. :D

I was sort of impressed by the idea.
http://www.click-stand.com and I'm considering a broom handle and some fittings. I bought some bits today.
As I say, photos to follow.

Thanks Geocycle. :D
geocycle wrote:Or buy one of these http://www.click-stand.com

I could make one easily. It could stay outside, and any bike could be leant against it using the saddle and/or seat post.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:I was sort of impressed by the idea.
http://www.click-stand.com and I'm considering a broom handle and some fittings. I bought some bits today.

I could make one easily. It could stay outside, and any bike could be leant against it using the saddle and/or seat post.

Ten minutes with a drill into the end of an old broom handle, cut to length, and glue on a rubber foot.
Seems to work fine. :D
Hooks.jpeg
Rubber Ferrules.jpeg
Broom Handle.jpeg
Saddle Hook.jpeg
Bike Stand.jpeg
Mick F. Cornwall
Colin Stanley

Post by Colin Stanley »

Nice one Mick. You just need the elastic band to hold the brake lever to the handlebars to stop the bike from moving back and forth.
brake band.jpg
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I got a simple lightweight prop, the sort my lbs uses. Another poster made a link:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pro-bike-display-stand/

Just a folded over piece of metal with two prongs for the back where axle.In fact, we got three, one for all the bikes. Light, portable, and hold the bike up just fine. I was amazed at how effective they are for something so small and light. We'd gone through all sorts of storage possibilities and they all cost a lot, were awkward, and would have got seriously in the way if we'd needed the space for doing anything else.

You can screw them down to the floor if you want to, but they don't need to be, we don't bother doing it with ours and the bikes live on them all the time.
We put three bikes on them side by side and the centre bike's front wheel runs up a channel (plastic piping) to keep its bars above the others' so they can be closer together to save space.

The stand is sturdy enough to load my panniers/rackpack, lubricate the bike, do the tyre pressures, or even be used outside when cleaning the bike when it's filthy with mud, though I wouldn't do serious repair work on it. Takes bikes with mudguards no problem.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Colin Stanley wrote:Nice one Mick. You just need the elastic band to hold the brake lever to the handlebars to stop the bike from moving back and forth.
As you can see, no I don't. :wink:
Good prop though eh?
We could do with a new clothes prop for the washing line, so I might employ the spare hook from the packet of two.

When I go out with my loaded trailer, I do need a lazzy band even when I just lean the bike. Gravity takes no prisoners!
I have a packet of thick ones specifically for the task.
Mick F. Cornwall
robgul

Post by robgul »

freiston wrote:Here's something similar to what you describe; I saw it after following the ebay link for the concrete blocks up-thread:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Bike-Fl ... SwEzxYZLfT

I bought one of these - brilliant - so good that I've just ordered a second one to keep outside to stand bikes in when cleaning with the pressure sprayer. You couldn't get the wood to make something for that price.

It's very stable - just roll in the back or front wheel and that's it - my decent bikes are all hanging up with security cables round them but this stand is on the floor in the garage to park the pub/shopping bike ready for a quick getaway.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Colin Stanley

Post by Colin Stanley »

Mick F wrote:As you can see, no I don't. :wink:

We do on our tandem as it has extra mass....
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Colin Stanley wrote:
Mick F wrote:As you can see, no I don't. :wink:

We do on our tandem as it has extra mass....

I use velcro straps. I bought a bag of them at the pound shop, and keep a couple on the handlebars of the tandem.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

On our drive, the slope is sort of diagonal near the house, so it's just a matter of getting the correct angle to balance the natural roll of the bike against the slope, thereby neutralising and stabilising the whole thing. It took a bit of fiddling, but it was stable and secure.

I doubt it would work with a loaded bike or a tandem. I have no intention of taking this prop away from home, so it's fine as it is.

I have thought about a wedge or something, that would go against a tyre. It could be fixed to the prop on a string so I don't lose it. Also, a stick stuck through the spokes would do it too. Having used lazzy bands - and even Velcro - it works fine, but a quick poke with a stick or using a wedge, would be easier. As I say, this isn't something to take away with me.
Mick F. Cornwall