Nidderdale Cycles - Handbuilt wheels

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
fullfathom5

Nidderdale Cycles - Handbuilt wheels

Post by fullfathom5 »

Has anybody ever bought hand built wheels from Nidderdale Cycles on eBay please? They seem to be a good price but I don't know what the quality is like.

Thanks.
reohn2

Re: Nidderdale Cycles - Handbuilt wheels

Post by reohn2 »

No but I've bought handbuilt wheels from Rose Bikes for my Sin L (who can break a solid iron ball) for his commuter,and found them extremely durable,and extremely good value for money :)

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/products/bikes/
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

are all Rose Bike wheels handbuilt?
Sweep
georgew

Post by georgew »

Sweep wrote:are all Rose Bike wheels handbuilt?

No, the wheels are machine built and come with the company's own rims which are very tough.
I've bought two sets now and am very pleased with them as they are of very good value. They were dead true on arrival but the tensions were uneven and I brought the spokes up to the correct tension and de-stressed. Mine had Sapin spokes and Tiagra hubs and I paid around £85 for the set.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Sweep wrote:are all Rose Bike wheels handbuilt?

Well I assumed they were.
The pair I got for my SinL are great value:- https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/ros ... aid:716668
Though they have ordinary slotted head nipples.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

They definitely used to be hand built although its quite possible its changed: however, they build excellent wheels as ive had 6 wheels from them, never had a broken spoke, and they have a 10 year " no broken spokes" guarantee. And I'm not light, fluctuating between 17 and 18.5 stone, on loaded touring bikes- I always pick the 36 spoke option.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Well that's answered that then :lol:
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

I don't think hand built wheels are worth the money now.

Budget wheels used to be poor. Now they are good.
Steve

Post by Steve »

markjohnobrien wrote:They definitely used to be hand built although its quite possible its changed: however, they build excellent wheels as ive had 6 wheels from them, never had a broken spoke, and they have a 10 year " no broken spokes" guarantee. And I'm not light, fluctuating between 17 and 18.5 stone, on loaded touring bikes- I always pick the 36 spoke option.

Are you referring to Rose or Nidderdale? There is potential for confusion here!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

blackbike wrote:I don't think hand built wheels are worth the money now.

Really? Hand built wheels need not be expensive. Last year fitted a pair to my Surly Long Haul tourer - Exal SP19 rims, Deore LX rear hub, DH-3N72 dynohub and strong DT Swiss Alpine III spokes. The whole lot cost about a hundred quid.

The rims came from Nidderdale - 16 quid the pair posted.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

pete75 wrote:

Really? Hand built wheels need not be expensive. Last year fitted a pair to my Surly Long Haul tourer - Exal SP19 rims, Deore LX rear hub, DH-3N72 dynohub and strong DT Swiss Alpine III spokes. The whole lot cost about a hundred quid.

I can only speak from experience, and in my experience cheap wheels are now very good.

Bike wheels are like all other industrial products. They get better and cheaper as time goes on.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

blackbike wrote:
pete75 wrote:

I can only speak from experience, and in my experience cheap wheels are now very good.

Bike wheels are like all other industrial products. They get better and cheaper as time goes on.

But what do you call cheap for a reasonably good set of touring wheels with a dynohub?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Steve wrote:
markjohnobrien wrote:They definitely used to be hand built although its quite possible its changed: however, they build excellent wheels as ive had 6 wheels from them, never had a broken spoke, and they have a 10 year " no broken spokes" guarantee. And I'm not light, fluctuating between 17 and 18.5 stone, on loaded touring bikes- I always pick the 36 spoke option.

Are you referring to Rose or Nidderdale? There is potential for confusion here!

Sorry for any confusion: referring to sub thread whether Rose Bikes wheels are hand built - I stand by my comments- but could have been clearer.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.