Foot hitting rear derailleur

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
AndyAll73

Re: Foot hitting rear derailleur

Post by AndyAll73 »

It was neither argos or halfords but halfords have just started stocking them as a Web exclusive lol. Must admit my Voodoo bantu is a halfords bike and haven't really had any problems.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I dont understand how your heel can touch the deraileur - on my bike it dont poke out far enough to even be in line with my heel - you must be angling your heel/feet inwards to wards the frame? I am also size 12 ish and my Dawes 1-Down ( 57cm frame) still plenty of space both behind heel and to the left toward frame
Last edited by mercalia on 15 Jan 2017, 9:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if the crank is hitting the chain, I'm wondering if

a) the bottom bracket shell is misaligned (twisted)
or
b) the whole back end of the bike is pushed out to the right somehow.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I'm wondering if the crank arm is bent, or somehow not installed fully square, or pedalling with heels in, toes out more than usual, or having the foot more level in the pedal stroke than usual. I also wear size 50 shoes and the problems I have are toe strike vs heels hitting panniers, when I fit panniers, I have to fit them as far back as I can, even then I think I scuff them occasionally if my pedal stroke differs for whatever reason to having a flatter foot.

Where on your heel is it catching? If only right on the inside perhaps see if slightly rotating your cleat might help, although this might cause discomfort if it really is forcing you into an unnatural position.

Maybe get your right shoe, clip it to the pedal and experiment to see how close it gets and how much longer the chainstay would have to be, could take photos too.

I've never heard of a crank hitting the chain, your picture does look like the crank is bent inwards but might just be how the photo looks.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

RodWatts wrote:Bottom line is 'don't buy a bike by mail order'
If you want to get a decent bike spend a £100 on a bike fit first off!
Rod

+1 - a cheaper option in the long term. At least then you're only buying one bike :D :D :D .

But - if something is bent/twisted/misaligned then beware consequential damage to your knees :( :cry: :( . Another thing to look at is the footwear you're cycling in - do the heels project on the inside of the foot? At what angle does your foot rest in the pedal? Is your frame bent/misaligned to the right? Is the bottom bracket length wrong, or in the wrong way round? It's a bit of a conundrum is this. It's as Rod says - "don't buy a bike by mail order". In my opinion that's good advice.

There has been other threads on similar lines, and one entitled "Do you think I have a case?" is current at the moment. I think that you need some advice from a decent, honest, long established LBS - but to be fair, you'd have to pay for it.
AndyAll73

Post by AndyAll73 »

I think if you look at the pictures it's maybe that either the BB is too short or the wrong way round? The chain rubs the arm slightly when on front top crank and you can see in the picture how close the arm is to the frame. Bad build I think.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

AndyAll73 wrote:I think if you look at the pictures it's maybe that either the BB is too short or the wrong way round? The chain rubs the arm slightly when on front top crank and you can see in the picture how close the arm is to the frame. Bad build I think.

Andy - I'd gone straight from page 1 to page 3, missing page 2 and thereby your photos. My fault. From the photo I conclude that you're correct.

As RodWatts suggests - better to go to a bike shop than get duff tackle on-line.

We don't know where you bought this (in my opinion wrongly assembled) bike, but I'd be contacting them. Have a look at the "Do you think I have a case?" thread - just another example of the problems of buying a ready built on-line/mail order.

There must be a decent bike shop near you - where you can have a trial ride on the bike you want to buy. We don't know where you are, but most of us will know of one or two decent retail outlets. Even if you'd bought this bike from Halfords, a flip around the car-park would have found this............. You may not be too far from an Evans.