comfy road saddle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pwa

Re: comfy road saddle

Post by pwa »

hamster wrote:There are a few that seem to work for most, although it is a very individual thing. Here are some good options:

Charge Spoon: cheap, definitely a very good starting point
San Marco Rolls
San Marco Regal: the Belgian sofa, ridden by many pros over the Classics cobbled races
Selle Italia Flite
Brooks B17 (personally I can only abide the narrow version)

Saddles are just too personal to give a recommendation on. I tried a Charge Spoon and found it impossible to sit on for more than a few minutes at a time. But other people's bottoms find them great. I have a Rolls on one bike and it is fine for short rides but makes my bottom ache after more than twenty miles. Leather saddles (all leather, not a skin of leather over foam or gel) adapt to your shape and are therefore a better bet after a period of wearing in. But the only sure way to find your ideal saddle is to spend lots of money over several years and fill the shelves in your garage with failed experiments. Or, at least, that is how I ended up with a GB Aravis, which happens to work well for me but may not suit others.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

The Charge Spoon is my current favourite and is relatively cheap but, as others have said, it won't suit everyone.
pwa

Post by pwa »

rotavator wrote:The Charge Spoon is my current favourite and is relatively cheap but, as others have said, it won't suit everyone.

I gave away the one that caused me agony, and the bloke I gave it to loved it. Says it all, really.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

All bums are different.
All riding styles are different.
One man's meat, is another man's poison.

Comfy saddle for me - almost feather bed comfort - is a rock hard leather Brooks Professional.
I have one on both my regular bikes, and I could ride all day with them.
Superb.
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

Mick F wrote:All bums are different.
All riding styles are different.
One man's meat, is another man's poison.

Comfy saddle for me - almost feather bed comfort - is a rock hard leather Brooks Professional.
I have one on both my regular bikes, and I could ride all day with them.
Superb.

Very similar to a GB Aravis, I suspect. Almost identical top dimensions. Similarly thick leather that takes a while to adapt to your shape. Same weight.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

My favorite is Serfas.

But I do think that Specialized, and now Bontrager have a better chance of success than most. They measure your sit bones with a mat that you sit on & then recommend a size based on your sit bones & position on the bike.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote: .........But I do think that Specialized, and now Bontrager have a better chance of success than most. They measure your sit bones with a mat that you sit on & then recommend a size based on your sit bones & position on the bike.

Yet their measuring device showed I needed a saddle way too wide for me :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden