Touring with children - tandem vs non-tandem option?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
reohn2

Re: Touring with children - tandem vs non-tandem option?

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:
hamster wrote:Absolutely agree with all of that!
The only thing that is a problem with a tandem is that tours with train + bike are out of the question (in the UK anyway).

Good point hamster ,,, what other countries rail systems will carry a tandem ?
Expect our friends in the Netherlands do...

We've wheeled our tandem straight onto Spanish trains as most of their platforms are level with the train floor.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

RickH wrote:
hamster wrote:Absolutely agree with all of that!
The only thing that is a problem with a tandem is that tours with train + bike are out of the question (in the UK anyway).

I've never had any problem with getting our Circe Helios on a train but haven't used services outside NW England (Virgin, Northern, Arriva Wales &, I think, Transpennine - I've taken it from Bolton to Manchester a few times & didn't really pay attention who's train I was putting it on, it was just "the next one"). It fits in most bike spaces, the hanging spaces on some services might be challenging but probably not insurmountable (I haven't tried hanging it up on the few occasions I use a Virgin Voyager but then I'm only doing a short hop when I do & stay with the bike. No-one has ever been bothered by it). It isn't usually heavily loaded but travels by train most weeks.

I have seen a couple loading a well laden, full size tandem on a train at Blackburn, one time when I was passing through, & didn't seem to be getting any problems (apart from the physical problems of dealing with a long bike plus luggage).

A similar story here when we've used UK trains with the large wheeled(700c) tandem,which isn't often but without hassle,and usually to North Wales on the Manchester line.
The Circe is shorter due to small wheels and which takes up even less room.
FWIW,I've never toured with small children on a tandem but the Circe Helios range is ideally suited either with junior pedaling shorter cranks or rear pedals removed and a foot rest made to fit the stokers seatpost,and suitable handlebars.
The Circe Helios is one very versatile machine and very adaptable with front and rear pannier racks available,a big tyre width capacity,and availability(2inch Big Apples are great and roll really well).
Also with a young 'un on the back a real plus is the low step through for the captain to mount with said young 'un in place.
I'm seriously impressed with the Circe :)
From the Circe website:-Image
One thing about cycling with children as stoker,make sure their feet are firmly fixed to the pedals for safety's sake,clips and straps are ideal,and make sure they're well versed in letting the captain know if the pull out of the pedal fixing.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
hamster

Post by hamster »

No joy here on the south coast: SW Trains is no, likewise Great Western.

Possibly you could 'bandit' your way on at quiet times from small stations. The 444s have the bikes in a narrow corridor next to the toilets.
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

Tangled Metal wrote:I've been busy on the internet looking for other ways of touring with a young child. There's a few ways but it looks to me that a tandem makes sense. What do you think?

I'm impressed by circe tandems. The morpheus has a recumbent front seat which would strap a 4 year old down nicely. The front chainset can move independently so he can pedal at his rate or not at all such as when sleeping. They do another more conventional version with the child at the back or the front with accessory kit. That bike takes special racks and brackets to allow a baby car seat to be attached it extra seats on the rear rack. It's possible to put the baby car seat behind the front adult with a child seat on the rear rack. Possibly get 3 kids on too. The car seat can go on the front with adult and child behind.

if you add in front, middle and rear racks plus rack bags i reckon you could get all your kit on av tandem with a second adult carrying a pannier set too. The company also makes a trailer.

So our current two bikes, trailer and child seat or tandem and bike plus child seat on bike or tandem make two different styles of touring. Which is best do you think?

Any other styles of family touring kit setup? Tandems seem to offer decent promise if you can afford them fully kitted out. Any opinions?

Long question with a lot of answers;-)

We have three kids (now 24/21 and 20) and when they were small we went through the whole range of kids equipment - seats, trailers, trailerbikes and tandems. For example at one point I was riding with Son no1 on a tandem pulling a baby trailer (full of baby+luggage as we were obviously camping) and Kate pulled a trailerbike with no2 son (and front and rear panniers) If you want a laugh this describes some of it at a slightly earlier stage;-) - http://www.bretonbikes.com/family/a-personal-adventure

We then applied all this hard won experience to our business, but on choices of equipment here's my personal take on it...

First and most important is that most trailerbikes are junk. They attach to the seat-tube and have a poor quality bearing (often just a bolt!) as pivots. Not only will these develop play very quickly but because the pivot is well in front of the rear hub axis you create a 'Moment' so that the trailerbike tries to steer the adult bike. That's why any movement by the child has you all over the road. The only trailerbikes that I trust are those with proper pivots set over the rear axle - e.g. Burley Piccalos and the old islabikes. I've done 40 mph on these with an active 4-year-old and they are just fine. They allow the child to pedal independently but make sure they don't go to sleep...

I'm afraid I don't like any bike that puts the child in front of 80 kgs of adult. In an accident they hit the ground first and then may well get hit from behind by Dad - so for me I don't like child-first tandems or seats on crossbars. Once they are big enough, normally 5-6 we put them on small-back tandems like the Dawes http://dawescycles.com/dawes/duet-twin/ The fact that they need to swing their legs through a huge circle doesn't seem to bother them, and they quickly learn a proper touring pace - I've never felt the need for them to be able to pedal independently (and my kids would have moaned every such a lot if they didn't like it). Set up like this we never dropped below 25 miles a day for touring (a lot if you've a kid on the back and a child trailer;-) - our legs were the limit always, never the children.

Our kids loved the tandem, indeed my daughter so much so that she refused to even try to ride a bike until she was 8 years-old...

You will have an absolute ball;-)
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
tanglewood

Post by tanglewood »

Another vote here for the Circe Helios. Love ours, and the adjustability is great - you can swap riders around when the kids are a little older.

Our first tour with the kids was on two solos for adults, one pulling a trailer and the other a tagalong. Youngest in the trailer with a bag, front and rear panniers on the solos plus two small panniers on the tagalong too. Worked a treat for 10 days camping in France.

The Circe rack is so strong you could get a tandem tagalong and have 4 in a row!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels