Ride Leader training

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
Cycleking

Ride Leader training

Post by Cycleking »

Realise that this falls outside the NSI remit, but does anyone have any experience of these courses run by CTC? Was it useful? A good idea, as taking a group of people out on public roads with today's driving standards is quite a responsibility.
As the organiser of the Beaumanor Hall Rally this year (May 22-25), I'm interested in anyone who may want to practise their skills by leading a ride during the rally weekend. You don't have to have done the course either.

Ian Alexander
Si

Re: Ride Leader training

Post by Si »

I did the CTC RLTing course a few years back. they now have more than one flavour of it - the one that I did was for leading fairly inexperienced riders.

I thought that it was very good. Reasonable balance between classroom and practical (although I'd have liked a bit more practical on roads). Delivery was very good, handouts were OK, after sales service very good. I don't know about value for money as I didn't pay for mine so don't know how much it was.

Indeed, since doing the course, and a hell of a lot of ride leading, and becoming an NS instructor etc, I now deliver Ride Leader Training courses for BBB & BNB and I have reused a lot of the technique used in the CTC course (without infringing any copyright or intellectual property rights of course).
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I have Cycling Scotland's "Cycle Ride Leader" which I'd guess is pretty similar. A useful string to the bow, not so much because of lamentable driving standards (cycling is actually pretty safe, probably more so in the sort of place you'd choose to lead a ride) but lamentable quantities of reality informing risk-averse, liability-paranoid organising authorities. You've got a Piece Of Paper, so they can tick their box.

But beyond that there was a fair bit of useful stuff that can help make a ride more enjoyable for the participants.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
matt@theforce

Post by matt@theforce »

I've done the Sustrans Ride Leader Training and wonder how the CTC compares?