All pre-2009 update pics were lost - now recovered :)

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
gaz

All pre-2009 update pics were lost - now recovered :)

Post by gaz »

Back in the mists of time (February/March 2009) there was an update to the software that, amongst other things, changed the way in which pictures were stored by the forum.

I reckon they're all gone now, e.g. Lots missing from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=20446

They were still there in March 2016. Casualty of the latest upgrade?
Last edited by gaz on 6 Jun 2016, 7:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: All pre-2009 update pics now lost?

Post by Mick F »

Hi Gaz.
Thanks for your help here.

Just looking at all the thousands of pages from way back when ............ brings back memories!

As an experiment, I tried finding a random one - with a distinctive name - and used Google to find it.
"Getting clipped in at night" site: forum.ctc.org.uk
It worked, so I wonder why others aren't found.

I'll get back to this later or tomorrow, off out now.
TTFN. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
gaz

Post by gaz »

I think you've posted your reply on the wrong thread, which ironically will make it harder for you to find in another ten years time :wink: .
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hey Gaz, I think you're correct there! :oops:

However the subject is actually the same subject.
I have dozens if not scores of photos in the Old Forum in what was called the "gallery" or something. One could recall them as and when required. These days, you have to re-upload them and keep your own gallery ready and able.
Mick F. Cornwall
horizon

Post by horizon »

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4946

Photos missing pre Oct 09.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
gaz

Post by gaz »

The update that changed the picture handling was on 28 Feb 2009: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21563

Following that update all the earlier pictures were still stored somewhere that the forum software recognised and continued to display on the forum.

The latest update has changed something. For the time being every picture uploaded before that update has now gone. Admin may be able to tell us if the situation is permanent or if they are recoverable.
horizon

Post by horizon »

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3832

This one I thought was different but the word "Image" is displayed as with the other. Linked images are still there (except the ones with expired links).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
gaz

Post by gaz »

Pictures hosted on photobucket, flickr and other external sites are continuing to display.

Pictures uploaded to the forum itself prior to 28 Feb 2009 no longer appear, just the word Image.

IMO either the forum software is trying to re-write the hyperlinks to a cyclinguk format and is then "missing" the image (re-brand issue) or the database holding the pictures has been deleted (there may be a back-up).

Whether or not it's important enough to resolve is another matter.
horizon

Post by horizon »

gaz wrote:Whether or not it's important enough to resolve is another matter.

If the threads mean anything then yes, apart from say the curiosity value of looking up who had which bikes ten years ago. Imagine if the forum had been established in say 1950.

The whole question of the "back catalogue" maybe needs to be looked at and discussed. The too good to lose threads show that the forum is far more than a simple day-to-day message board.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think I might know why these images have disappeared. Yup, an old folder of images not used by recent versions of phpBB was not copied into the new version. Fixed now.
horizon

Post by horizon »

admin wrote:I think I might know why these images have disappeared. Yup, an old folder of images not used by recent versions of phpBB was not copied into the new version. Fixed now.

Thank you - that's really appreciated.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Thank you admin.