EU army now on the cards

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

EU army now on the cards

Post by mercalia »

So Brexit means an EU army?

"Eastern EU countries on Friday pushed for the bloc to create a joint army as they met with Germany for talks on sketching Europe's post-Brexit future."

"In an early response to Britain's shock vote to exit the EU, Poland's powerful rightwing leader Jaroslaw Kaczynski called for EU institutional reforms that would forge a confederation of nation states under a president in charge of a powerful common military."

http://www.thelocal.de/20160826/eastern-europe-pushes-germany-for-joint-eu-army
reohn2

Re: EU army now on the cards

Post by reohn2 »

IMO it ain't gonna happen but I can see why Poland would be worried about being isolated or a disbanding of the EU.If you were Polish and of a certain age or aware of your country's history you'd be aware of the 'great bear' to the east and it's appetite for consuming the countries around it,especially with it's current gangster,err I mean,leader,one Mr Putin.
The same could I suppose be said of Germany but it's a reformed character,and it's reign over Poland was brief by comparison
Last edited by reohn2 on 28 Aug 2016, 1:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What happened to NATO forces?
Loadsa ships and men and armies and tanks and stuff from all over Europe and US and Canada.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I dont know if some here read the funny story on the same page :shock: :lol:
PH

Post by PH »

If anyone has any doubts about how the Brexit campaign won here it is - The ability to take something jaroslaw kaczynski said at a meeting of 5 of the 28 states and present it as something that's on the cards.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:If anyone has any doubts about how the Brexit campaign won here it is - The ability to take something jaroslaw kaczynski said at a meeting of 5 of the 28 states and present it as something that's on the cards.

+1
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

mercalia wrote:I dont know if some here read the funny story on the same page :shock: :lol:

The swimmer and the angler? Yes and ouch!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

That same link had a link to a story about the polish criticising the Germans for self serving foreign policy. Way to go Poland, **** off Germany to try and get their support in getting other EU nations to provide you with the army you want but can't or won't pay for.

Come off it, EU army? They've got a foreign minister in all intense and purposes for years but the unified EU foreign policy has not happened. Without any EU foreign policy that all states follow you'll not get any effective army of the EU. Best bet is an EU rapid reaction force.

Interesting thing about that is very few in EU have that capability. France and Britain are the first in that list. One's on its way out and the former isn't going to do much for Poland IMHO. I could be.very wrong here but I'd put money on no EU army (as in one.entity with its own chain of command) within my lifetime (I'm early 40s so hopefully a long time left).
rjb

Post by rjb »

i expect Ms Sturgeon will be giving them the Scots Guards then. :twisted:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D