** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
irc

Re: 'Brexit means Brexit' ... ** The Brexit Thread **

Post by irc »

mjr wrote:
irc wrote:Personally I think freedom of movement in the UK combi8ned with controlled immigration is best.

You might think that, but you're a heck of a lot further away from a border. Most borders were drawn a long time ago by kings and dictators and don't make much sense as hard divisions in a more democratic world. Why not make Strathclyde's borders a hard border and limit freedom of movement even more?

I'm about 20 miles from Glasgow airport which is an international border. As for Strathclyde? Too small. There is an ideal size. The UK with it's population and clearly defined and workable borders looks like it to me. Others believe in the EU. In both cases there are restrictions on people living outside.

I think the advantages of the EU were outweighed by the disadvantages. Luckily the majority agreed with me. I'm on a roll actually. I've got the correct result in the EU referendum, the indyref, the PR ref, the last UK general election. Shame about the dominance of the SNP in Scottish politics but you can't win them all. Though the entertainment value in watching the establishment here shift from being entirely Labour dominated to being SNP dominated was some compensation.

Our Glorious Leader is even getting her own column in one of the biggest selling papers. As Iain Martin put it

It has been revealed that Scotland’s First Minister is to pen (*) a new column for the Scottish tabloid newspaper the Daily Record. Traditionally the Record has been the house organ of the Scottish Labour party, enjoying an extremely close relationship with the party’s leaders, but with the Scottish Labour party no longer in existence the editor is sensibly branching out. Eyebrows have been raised at Sturgeon’s hiring. It is a little unusual for serving party leaders to write a regular column, surely? Nonsense. There is a long history of glorious leaders writing columns all the better to communicate with an adoring public. Mussolini wrote regular despatches. And it is a little known fact that Stalin was behind the popular advice column (“look over your shoulder, it’s probably nothing”) in Pravda.

http://reaction.life/nicola-sturgeon-ex ... rd-column/
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

landsurfer wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
We know all that, Orwell described it in 1948. Time for a binding second referendum now that so much has been thought and written!

But what happens if the country votes leave again ...... another binding referendum, best of 5 maybe ......
Wee Jimmy Krankie and her cohorts seem to be getting nervous about an another independence referendum for Scotland .....
Referendums Eh! ..... nothing but trouble .... :roll:

I think we should toss a coin?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

mercalia wrote:

+1
But you know, someone would want it to best of 3, 5, 7, 9, ...... until the result was the RIGHT ONE !

(When i use upper case in a sentence I always imagine the words being spoked by the late Rev Ian Paisley ... lol)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
mikeonabike

Post by mikeonabike »

irc wrote:
mikeonabike wrote:
irc wrote:Who doesn't think close economic ties are a good idea? The only people suggesting trade barriers post Brexit are the EU.

Well our prime minister for a start. She's just decided to leave the single market didn't you notice.

And she explained why. Nothing to do with trade.

Indeed, she thinks that other things are more important than close economic ties. Which is an opinion some of us agree with and others disagree. But she is the one who is proposing trade barriers as a consequence of her opinion.
mikeonabike

Post by mikeonabike »

landsurfer wrote:
mercalia wrote:

+1
But you know, someone would want it to best of 3, 5, 7, 9, ...... until the result was the RIGHT ONE !

(When i use upper case in a sentence I always imagine the words being spoked by the late Rev Ian Paisley ... lol)

So far the score is 1-1. Best of 3 would seem sensible.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mikeonabike wrote:So far the score is 1-1. Best of 3 would seem sensible.

Two in a row is my preferred system. If people want the same the second time round and haven't been convinced then that's fair enough.
(Which obviously means if the next one was 'remain' then there'd need to be at least one more after that)
mjr

Post by mjr »

irc wrote:
mjr wrote:You might think that, but you're a heck of a lot further away from a border. Most borders were drawn a long time ago by kings and dictators and don't make much sense as hard divisions in a more democratic world. Why not make Strathclyde's borders a hard border and limit freedom of movement even more?

I'm about 20 miles from Glasgow airport which is an international border. As for Strathclyde? Too small. There is an ideal size. The UK with it's population and clearly defined and workable borders looks like it to me. Others believe in the EU. In both cases there are restrictions on people living outside.

The UK is an artificial construct of the queen's great^7-grandfather's cousin. What makes that any more "ideal" than anything else? Why is the UK the level of government that should have a hard border? And does that necessarily mean secession from any larger government unit?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

mjr wrote:The UK is an artificial construct of the queen's great^7-grandfather's cousin. What makes that any more "ideal" than anything else?

The fact that the UK is an Island !?!?
How much more ideal could it be ?!?!
Be more Mike.
mjr

Post by mjr »

landsurfer wrote:
mjr wrote:The UK is an artificial construct of the queen's great^7-grandfather's cousin. What makes that any more "ideal" than anything else?

The fact that the UK is an Island !?!?
How much more ideal could it be ?!?!

Have you looked at a map lately? It's all of a few islands, plus part of at least one more (Ireland) and in the context of Brexit, as we seem to be dragging Gibraltar out with us, a bit of a continent too. Even on that simplistic model, the UK doesn't make sense as ideal.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mikeonabike

Post by mikeonabike »

kwackers wrote:

Two in a row is my preferred system. If people want the same the second time round and haven't been convinced then that's fair enough.
(Which obviously means if the next one was 'remain' then there'd need to be at least one more after that)

I have no problem with that. Better than someone declaring "last goal's the winner" then running away with the ball.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

mjr wrote:Have you looked at a map lately? It's all of a few islands, plus part of at least one more (Ireland) and in the context of Brexit, as we seem to be dragging Gibraltar out with us, a bit of a continent too. Even on that simplistic model, the UK doesn't make sense as ideal.

Are you serious ..... Northern Ireland isn't part of the UK .......
Be more Mike.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

landsurfer wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
We know all that, Orwell described it in 1948. Time for a binding second referendum now that so much has been thought and written!

But what happens if the country votes leave again ...... another binding referendum, best of 5 maybe ......
Wee Jimmy Krankie and her cohorts seem to be getting nervous about an another independence referendum for Scotland .....
Referendums Eh! ..... nothing but trouble .... :roll:

I imagine that people are much better informed now months later than they were before 23.6. I would hope and expect a majority vote to stay in the EU.

I would indeed advocate accepting the result from a second (third actually) referendum whether for or against.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I imagine that people are much better informed now months later than they were before 23.6. I would hope and expect a majority vote to stay in the EU.

I would indeed advocate accepting the result from a second (third actually) referendum whether for or against.

They are better informed... about all of those that said we would be consumed by fire, that the country would collapse into the pit, that we would all be homeless within days ......(ok artistic licence )
OH yea ..WW3 .....
Even Carney has apologised ,,,, Osbourne is gone ......
People will remember being treated as if they where stupid for being working class and Northern.....

I would not be confidant of a "REMAIN" vote ...not at all
Be more Mike.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mikeonabike wrote:
kwackers wrote:

I have no problem with that. Better than someone declaring "last goal's the winner" then running away with the ball.

What if the result is a dead heat, will it be decided by away goals?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Northern Ireland isn't part of the UK

Not part of "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland"?

Are you quite sure about that?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom