The Migrant Children in Europe - what to do about them?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

The Migrant Children in Europe - what to do about them?

Post by mercalia »

The BBC shows at the top of its page one of the so called "children"

"Age checks

Clinical tests are not used by the authorities to assess migrants' ages.

If they have no birth certificate, passport or other documentation, officials make an assessment of their age based on "physical appearance and demeanour"."

"A BDA spokesman said it was "vigorously opposed" to the use of dental X-rays to try to determine the age of asylum seekers.

"It's not only an inaccurate method for assessing age, but it is both inappropriate and unethical to take radiographs of people when there is no health benefit for them," he added."

the benefit is not for them but us? if they were suspected of having a disease they would be and not just for their benefit but ours?

I am sure we can find some one to do the tests if we paid them enough?

seems like there are many trying to do the "I am a child thing"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37700074
Last edited by mercalia on 15 Feb 2017, 2:09pm, edited 2 times in total.
landsurfer

Re: Do you share David Davies worry about the "children" from the holiday camp?

Post by landsurfer »

And why where there no Female children, surely the most vulnerable.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

What is David Davies' worry in this connection?

Bearing in mind that he is Secretary of State for Exiting the EU, is that worry part pf his portfolio?
Bez

Post by Bez »

"Holiday camp". Nice. You're doing a great job of turning The Tea Shop into a pit of xenophobia over the past few months, you must be very pleased with yourself.
661-Pete

Re: Do you share ... blah blah blah

Post by 661-Pete »

No I don't share Davies' worry about children. One rather childish individual does come to mind though.....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
meic

Post by meic »

The age chosen was pretty arbitrary. I cant say I am as bothered about a few "adults" being let in and a few "children" being excluded as I am about a waste of money and resources arguing over the accuracy of enforcing an arbitrary age limit.
Yma o Hyd
pwa

Post by pwa »

thirdcrank wrote:What is David Davies' worry in this connection?

Bearing in mind that he is Secretary of State for Exiting the EU, is that worry part pf his portfolio?

Not him. The other David Davies. MP for somewhere in Wales. Monmouth, perhaps.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

thirdcrank wrote:What is David Davies' worry in this connection?

That's David Davis, MP for Haltemprice and Howden.
[Edit: Beaten to it in previous post]
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mercalia wrote:"A BDA spokesman said it was "vigorously opposed" to the use of dental X-rays to try to determine the age of asylum seekers.

"It's not only an inaccurate method for assessing age, but it is both inappropriate and unethical to take radiographs of people when there is no health benefit for them," he added."

the benefit is not for them but us? if they were suspected of having a disease they would be and not just for their benefit but ours?

I am sure we can find some one to do the tests if we paid them enough?

I'm sure that you could find someone to do the tests, but they still wouldn't be accurate. Dental examinations tend to underestimate the age of young people, and the older they are, the greater the discrepancy. Children grow their second adult molar approximately 10 - 13 years of age, After that, their age cannot easily be determined by dental examination until wisdom teeth erupt, which is typically between 17 and 25. That's a pretty wide range to base immigration on. Furthermore, there are several different methods used for estimating age by dental examination, and they don't always agree.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Why are some so frightened by these young people coming to this country?
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
pwa

Post by pwa »

Edwards wrote:Why are some so frightened by these young people coming to this country?

I suppose the problem is that young men are a high proportion of the economic migrants trying to get into the UK. If we accepted that everyone claiming to be a minor is a minor we could be letting in a lot of people, not just a few.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Edwards wrote:Why are some so frightened by these young people coming to this country?

Why do you assume people are frightened? Maybe they think a policy to allow some children to enter the country should be exactly that. The 'it's all hysteria" approach is what led to the political classes making it impossible to raise concerns about immigration without racism being mentioned. And that (at least partly) led to Brexit. We should absolutely monitor and discuss these things.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

I feel people are frightened by the language they use and the emotions they are showing.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
pwa

Post by pwa »

Edwards wrote:I feel people are frightened by the language they use and the emotions they are showing.

And the numbers that might follow if we let in those who have got to Calais. A few hundred or a few thousand are nothing to worry about. If word got out that any young man with an uncle in the UK could get in if they got to Calais that would increase the flow. So we need to do what we can to ensure that only those who meet certain criteria can enter. Age is one of those criteria.