The Migrant Children in Europe - what to do about them?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: Do you share David Davies worry about the "children" from the holiday camp?

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:
bovlomov wrote:
mercalia wrote:
send him back to his mother. and deport the father with him. let Sharia deal with him?

Am I missing something? Does he come from a European country that is subject to Sharia Law? Is he Muslim? The article doesn't give any hint.

Yakdiver says no other paper wants to report the story. So where is this extra information coming from?

yes the kid was described as an immigrant - had he been say a German or French national & therefore EU citizen that term wouldnt have been used, as they have the right to go any where in the EU? You wouldnt describe the Poles here as immigrants?

They were certainly described as immigrants during the Brexit campaign by the anti EU people posting here. The Daily Mail almost always describes them as such.

You have no idea where he came from, what religion he is or anything like that. For all you know he could be a Roman Catholic from Cork.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Vorpal wrote:
bovlomov wrote:
mercalia wrote:Since when do newspapers adhere to niceties like that?

That's the point - usually they just say. If the boy is a Muslim, why so coy here? Perhaps there's a court order banning such facts being reported.

To be clear - do you know that the boy is Muslim?

Surely if he were, it would have been on the front page of the DaIly Mail:

MUSLIM RAPIST LENIENCY

or perhaps:

HUMAN RIGHTS OUTRAGE: MUSLIM RAPIST TO REMAIN IN BRITAIN

would be one step too far - inflaming race hatred and thus illegal
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

But it's okay to inflame hatred against an immigrant?

p.s. Islam is a religion, not a race.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
PH

Post by PH »

What an awfull thing to happen to a five year old, I hope he gets all the help he needs, it's a crime that's beyond my understanding. I don't suppose the nationality of the perpetrator matters to him.
According to the NSPCC over 47,000 sexual offences against children were recorded in the UK last year. 47,000, I had to read that twice as well. I wonder why the DM chose this one to report, no I don't..
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

seems like some of the kids are being used as slave labout by the French - picking apples and such like
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

PH wrote: I wonder why the DM chose this one to report, no I don't..

Home grown we have to put up with, imported trash we should get rid of, this guy will do it again.
Oh if you shout human rights..........the 5 year old has rights too...........something we forget, but he won't
syklist

Post by syklist »

yakdiver wrote:

Home grown we have to put up with, imported trash we should get rid of,

Where would you send me? Just over half can stay in the UK and the other half gets sent to the Balkans? Or would I spend half of my life after commiting a crime in the UK and the other half in the Balkans? Or maybe I could split my time in the same way that children of divorced parents have to split their time between their parents? One week in my Fatherland and the next in my Mother Country.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

syklist wrote:
yakdiver wrote:

Home grown we have to put up with, imported trash we should get rid of,

Where would you send me? Just over half can stay in the UK and the other half gets sent to the Balkans? Or would I spend half of my life after commiting a crime in the UK and the other half in the Balkans? Or maybe I could split my time in the same way that children of divorced parents have to split their time between their parents? One week in my Fatherland and the next in my Mother Country.

You wouldn't understand. You live in Norway, where criminals are treated like guests at a luxury hotel, and liberal-minded counsellors try to 'understand' why they have done those crimes - usually blaming 'society' and 'family background'. That's why crime and recidivism are so high in Norway.

You wouldn't understand the social benefit of an angry mob chucking stones at the prison van as it takes the guilty man (yes, we don't need a jury to tell us!) to court.
syklist

Post by syklist »

bovlomov wrote:
syklist wrote:
yakdiver wrote:Home grown we have to put up with, imported trash we should get rid of,

You wouldn't understand. You live in Norway, where criminals are treated like guests at a luxury hotel, and liberal-minded counsellors try to 'understand' why they have done those crimes - usually blaming 'society' and 'family background'. That's why crime and recidivism are so high in Norway.

You wouldn't understand the social benefit of an angry mob chucking stones at the prison van as it takes the guilty man (yes, we don't need a jury to tell us!) to court.

Whilst I might live here, you perhaps are not aware of my first thirty or so formative years in the UK. I grew up to discover the English have a peculiar but persistent way of making one unwelcome in a very subtle way, if you have committed the crime of having a "funny" sounding first name. Anyway it means that I know what you are talking about.

As for Norway, the idea of "sending back" "immigrants" when they have been found guilty of committing a crime (and before that point) has a strong following here in certain parts of the native population.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

syklist wrote:As for Norway, the idea of "sending back" "immigrants" when they have been found guilty of committing a crime (and before that point) has a strong following here in certain parts of the native population.

For me, civilisation isn't denying our instincts. It's taking a step back and asking whether acting on an instinct will have a beneficial outcome - for the individual or for wider society. Often the instinct is telling us something worthwhile, but an instant reaction based on the instinct will have a bad outcome.

Suspicion of foreigners (or 'others') is natural, as is a desire for vengeance or natural justice. But one purpose of society and government is to take a wider view, and to put a brake on the immediate suspicion of outsiders, or the anger of the mob, for a longer term goal.

As cyclists we should be grateful to civilisation for keeping us on the road. Unmediated public opinion would see us banned from both road and footpath. I'd hope that government would put a brake on public opinion about foreign criminals too. Presumably the courts have guidance and procedures for deportation of criminals, and they have taken a view on this boy. Unfortunately the syndicated article in the Mail didn't go into any detail on that.

But anyway, he isn't an asylum seeker, so I'm still not sure why the link was posted here.
meic

Post by meic »

But anyway, he isn't an asylum seeker, so I'm still not sure why the link was posted here.
They are all the same, didnt you know?

As we have been swamped by millions of immigrants, one rapist no matter how evil, probably is way below the statistical average (for humans generally), so expect more stories. We may yet get to see "Muslim rapist etc etc".
Yma o Hyd
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

meic wrote:
They are all the same, didnt you know?

As we have been swamped by millions of immigrants, one rapist no matter how evil, probably is way below the statistical average (for humans generally), so expect more stories. We may yet get to see "Muslim rapist etc etc".

There's an earlier thread in which there was an angry discussion about Muslim sexual assailants, and about whether they were more numerous than the non-Muslim ones (by percentage). I can't remember a consensus being reached. We now need a broader discussion (equally angry) about all categories of immigrants. For one thing, I strongly suspect Italian men of being disproportionately guilty of cheap flattery towards women.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

seems like Denmark is finding high rates of assylum seekers lying about their age

http://www.thelocal.dk/20161207/600-underage-asylum-seekers-in-denmark-are-adults-report
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mercalia wrote:seems like Denmark is finding high rates of assylum seekers lying about their age

http://www.thelocal.dk/20161207/600-underage-asylum-seekers-in-denmark-are-adults-report

So.... 2% of asylum applicants in Denmark lie about their age, and that's news?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Vorpal wrote:
mercalia wrote:seems like Denmark is finding high rates of assylum seekers lying about their age

So.... 2% of asylum applicants in Denmark lie about their age, and that's news?

I dont see why you should include those who are clearly not kids in the cook pot, nor those who are clearly minors, unless you are implying that most of the refugees are below 18