My phone has been washed!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: My phone has been washed!

Post by Mick F »

Good morning guys.
My phone was on the plate rack above the range overnight with the back off.

Reassembled it ........... It switches on and you get the chime as it boots up. :D
The screen, though, is just white and with a few horizontal lines. :oops:

I've just removed all the screws and removed the back plate exposing the electronics. Looking at iFixit https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung+Ga ... ment/22817
It is possible to strip it further ......... but I doubt I'll bother.

Our water here is very clean and pure, also very soft. I met Ferrit Worrier some time back on his way to LE and I drove up to Crediton with sustenance and water. He contacted me later asking where I'd bought the beautiful water! I explained it was tap water! :D

The phone is back on the plate rack and nice and gently warm. I'll give it all day before trying again. I have always planned on buying a secondhand iPhone like Mrs Mick F's. We are AppleMac in this house and have an iPad, so it would be neat and tidy for me to have an iPhone instead of the Samsung.

If it still doesn't work by this time tomorrow, it's getting recycled.
Mick F. Cornwall
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Mick F wrote:Good morning guys.
My phone was on the plate rack above the range overnight with the back off.

Reassembled it ........... It switches on and you get the chime as it boots up. :D
The screen, though, is just white and with a few horizontal lines. :oops:

I've just removed all the screws and removed the back plate exposing the electronics. Looking at iFixit https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung+Ga ... ment/22817
It is possible to strip it further ......... but I doubt I'll bother.

Our water here is very clean and pure, also very soft. I met Ferrit Worrier some time back on his way to LE and I drove up to Crediton with sustenance and water. He contacted me later asking where I'd bought the beautiful water! I explained it was tap water! :D

The phone is back on the plate rack and nice and gently warm. I'll give it all day before trying again. I have always planned on buying a secondhand iPhone like Mrs Mick F's. We are AppleMac in this house and have an iPad, so it would be neat and tidy for me to have an iPhone instead of the Samsung.

If it still doesn't work by this time tomorrow, it's getting recycled.

Don't give up yet. After a ride into a river :oops: I dried my phone out and although the screen worked the speaker didn't. I tried it again a few days later and I had sound but it was a bit muffled. As time went by it returned to normal. I kept that phone for 5 years after the ducking with no problems.It wasn't a smartphone so perhaps less to go wrong.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

When I have gotten electronics wet, (juice spilled on remotes, phones washed or dropped in puddles, etc.), I have used the bag of rice thing, and it works. I would estimate that I have a 90% success rate with it. You might need to leave the phone in there for a couple of days.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

During my service career - electronics engineer - we used to wash electronic units as part of planned maintenance.
My first sea job as an 18yo apprentice, I was amazed that some of the upperdeck electronic units near the funnel would be taken down to the showers for a wash, then dried up-top in the sunshine!

Also, working on keyboards - teleprinters and radar computers - the operators would sometimes spill coffee or Coke into them. We used to remove them and wash them out - the operators as well as the keyboards! :lol:

If this phone refuses to work tomorrow, I may give it another wash. It could possibly be contaminated with the fabric softener and perfume that's in the washing machine tabs.

Whatever, it's going to get a stay of execution until such time I buy a new phone. Maybe a week or so yet.
Mick F. Cornwall
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Harrumph. My Olympus digital dictaphone got soaked on Strasbourg-Brest 2 years ago, and despite long sessions of sunlight and silicagel-do-not-eat has stolidly refused to work since. Yet a bunch of lousy smartphones go through the wash undamaged. There ain't no justice.

FWIW the wee Oly dictaphone worked one-handed and was great for making notes - or recording our bellowed duets from West Side Story - under way. Wife got me a Sony replacement, it's not half as handy. :(
Have we got time for another cuppa?
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

I once dried a soaked phone by strapping it to the front of a room cooling fan for a day. It had cost me over £100 back in 2000 when phones were expensive.

Nowadays I wouldn't bother as the most I have ever paid for a phone over the past six years since the resurrected soaked one eventually died in 2010 is £2.99, and my current phone cost 99p.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi again.
Bad news.

The phone is dry. It cannot be anything else.
It's been on the warm plate rack above the solid fuel range for 48hrs stripped down and in bits.

Reassembled, and tried again.

It flashes up fine. It makes all the right noises, will receive texts and you can phone it and it rings, and generally work ok ............... but the screen is white. You can't read the texts of course, or make one. You can't answer or make calls either, but it will receive ok.

I think the detergent has removed the inner coating off the screen. All I get now is bright white with a few horizontal lines.

New phone time. :D
It's not worth repairing or fitting a new screen.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote: .......All I get now is bright white with a few horizontal lines.......

Surf,Daz or OMO? :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Abradable Chin

Post by Abradable Chin »

Mick F wrote:It flashes up fine. It makes all the right noises, will receive texts and you can phone it and it rings, and generally work ok ............... but the screen is white. You can't read the texts of course, or make one. You can't answer or make calls either, but it will receive ok.

Some of the last places to dry out are likely to be inside the very fine cable connectors that connect the various modules together. These just ping off if you pull them away from the board. I'd try that to give them an opportunity to dry. Lift up the locking bar and pull out any ribbon cables, too.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Replacing screens can be hit and miss.
If another phone (second hand) is cheaper than a screen (most likely) then that's the option.

Electronic time pieces have been water proof for decades but the first were not 40 years ago.
Mobiles might take longer to get there and I know some models are.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Secondhand iPhone5 and I'm in the kitchen by the stove out of the freezing cold. £140 in reasonable condition and I bought a £1 SIM card as a test. The phone works and so does the text and so does the wifi. Also this forum works too as you can tell.

Vodaphone are sending me a new SIM card and a new contract and I'm saving a couple of quid a month. Again SIM only as I've been for years. Keeping my number.

Samsung Galaxy still broken so it's up for recycling.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:
Back on the laptop.
Far easier than a small screen.

iPhone5 is in blue, with a few scratches but fine.

I went by car to Park and Ride not far out of town, then bus (bus pass) into Plymouth city centre and walked to CEX https://uk.webuy.com/stores/store_detai ... EA0eXecZE4
We've sold loads DVDs and bought them too from there, so had no issues with using them again, and I'm aware of the vast array of mobiles and stuff for sale. I was out and back in a couple of hours or so.

It was freezing cold when I left here. Minus 4degC, but as I drove towards Plymouth from Tavistock, the temp climbed terrifically. 11degC in Plymouth, but getting home it's still below zero :shock:

Keep warm guys!
Also, keep your mobile phones out of the washing machines with Lidl's non-bio tabs. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Mick F wrote:Also, keep your mobile phones out of the washing machines with Lidl's non-bio tabs.

Would M&S non bio have got it any cleaner? :D :lol: :wink:
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

£140 for an iPhone 5? Must be the Cornish tax...

Pick them up for about £60 here, £100 in the local 'pawnbrokers'.