Happiness

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bonefishblues

Re: Happiness

Post by Bonefishblues »

bigjim wrote:I remember him doing a charity gig at a Cricket Club in Liverpool. It was to raise money for the kids football team. He was booked I think to 11.30. He was still on the stage at 1am. The place should have shut at 12. He was not even being paid. Everybody had a great night.

There are many such stories, I understand.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:I hated Ken Dodd's brand of humour with his tickling stick ( was it?) when I was a kid , when I thought he was out dated - thats a long time ago. Does he still use it? I hope not?

That's fair enough but you can't ignore is his continued popularity over a career spanning 60 years,and not inconsiderable singing voice which earned him more than a few top ten records,including a No1 which knocked the Beatles off the top of the charts.
I respect your opinion of his humour but you can't dismiss the success of one of the UK's greatest comics.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello All, HNY,
The litmus test with Sir KD is to remember any joke but the last one? You hear a cracker, try to file in in the head, but as he's started the next one the system goes into meltdown!
I live less than a mile from him, so have seen his progress through the years. His home is a very old cottage type, built in pairs. Kens was in fair order, but its twin never got a lick of paint or TLC?
As he got dragged through the court on Tax charges, the picture gt filled in, truth was Ken owned both, with them internally accessible.
As the case concluded, with all of his cash under the bed revealed, the sham went by the wayside.
It is now a matching image of a very nice old property, suitable for Sir K who has not moved more than a mile in his long life.
Wishing him dead is not nice, but it would raise a great opportunity?
If granted "Sainthood", in acknowledgement for his lifting folk out of misery, he could replace St Matthew as "Patron Saint of Tax Collectors" :lol: .
TTFN MM
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

reohn2 wrote:
NUKe wrote:use your imagination
Happiness, happiness, the greatest gift that I possess
I thank the Lord I've been blessed
With more than my share of a p****S

And I would have said that Ken Dodd would have thought of this

I know Doddy is fond of a double entendre and some of his jokes can be of an openly sexual nature,but IMHO you're reading too much into that particular song.

I absolutely agree John - when I read the post, my only thought was "oh dear............!" ................puts the tin hat on the thread.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

mercalia wrote:and what do the new generation think of Dodd? doesnt he really belong the days of the black and white minstrels and the tiller girls at the london paladium when our standards of entertainment were very low?

I think that the reverse is true - pity that innocent humour is no longer the vogue.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

what drives the affection for Ken Dodd is nostalgia - same as Normon Wisdom whose slapstick humour was excruciatingly painful to watch and belongs to a bygone age. A limited talent with a single theme of the clumsy inept fellah wins out in the end? ( there is a current comedian who imitates him, cant remember his name ) The only thing to respect and envy about him was his longevity and agility even to his death, lucky man.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

N-E-G-A-T-I-V-E....... :?
W H Auden
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

mercalia wrote:what drives the affection for Ken Dodd is nostalgia - same as Normon Wisdom whose slapstick humour was excruciatingly painful to watch and belongs to a bygone age. A limited talent with a single theme of the clumsy inept fellah wins out in the end? ( there is a current comedian who imitates him, cant remember his name ) The only thing to respect and envy about him was his longevity and agility even to his death, lucky man.

In your opinion of course. But it looks like you are a London person, so we understand. Never mind. :)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bigjim wrote:In your opinion of course. But it looks like you are a London person, so we understand. Never mind. :)

What are you saying Jim,that we northern folk aren't sophisticated enough for those from That London?
W H Auden
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

reohn2 wrote:
bigjim wrote:In your opinion of course. But it looks like you are a London person, so we understand. Never mind. :)

What are you saying Jim,that we northern folk aren't sophisticated enough for those from That London?

As well tha knows, us peasants lurv the simple stuff. :)
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I have to confess that I've lost a thread which started with a link to an American diatribe with the 'F' word as a starter gets to the stage where a very successful comedian, who has brought laughter and, yes, happiness to so many millions of people for over half a century, to my knowledge, has become the target for insolence, ridicule and derision from people who don't understand, and whose opinion and taste are not opinion and taste in their own hearts, but defining judgements.