Trump's response to Meryl Streep's speech....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Trump's response to Meryl Streep's speech....

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Psamathe wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:The position celebrities hold really requires them to speak out against the vile vitriol that trump is spouting.

I think celebrities need to be careful how they phrase their personal views. From what I've seem of Ms Streep's speech she spoke well in that she was talking for herself (how she felt, what she wished for, etc.). That is very different from e.g. Lilley Allen who decided she should apologise on behalf of the UK. She was not any representative of the UK so had no right to apologise on behalf of the country. Express her opinions, highlight facts she feels relevant, etc. are fine but need to be clear about who they are speaking for.

(My point is not about agreeing or disagreeing with what either celebrity said, just I see nothing wrong with them using an opportunity they have to express their personal opinions (we all do)).

Ian

Agree, but Streep was composed, eloquent and correct.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

One thing I've noticed about people who like to describe themselves as liberal or progressive is that they do seem to have a black and white approach to election results, telling us we are about to enjoy some sort of utopia if their side wins or we are staring into the abyss if it doesn't.

As for Streep vs Trump, I enjoyed their utterances. They are both veterans of the entertainment industry and their performances pleased me.

Trump has left the world of entertainment behind and sought a mandate from the people. Ms Streep has not.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

[XAP]Bob wrote: .... Streep was composed, eloquent and correct.

Whereas Trump..... .......as per usual.......

Another song:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nyMrjGX2vk
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

reohn2 wrote:

was composed, eloquent and correct.

And elected.

I'm very impressed with Trump's spiel. He knows how to get votes. But that just makes him like many politicians before him, including the disappointing Mr Obama who was equally eloquent though in a different way.

As for Ms Streep, she has revealed her predictable views to an audience of other rich, like-minded people and got a round of applause. Big deal.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Trump is generally unable to complete a thought.

Great excerpt of his speech in Sun City 205 (relatively early in this campaign) and he manages about 5 minutes without completing a sentence or a thought.

One thing he isn't is eloquent, and he is rarely composed.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pliptrot

Post by pliptrot »

blackbike wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

So it is correct to mock a disabled person? Whatever you may say about Trump, composed and eloquent are words that don't fit, and correct is a word which is rarely true. But then, we live in a post-fact world. QED.
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Trump is generally unable to complete a thought.

Great excerpt of his speech in Sun City 205 (relatively early in this campaign) and he manages about 5 minutes without completing a sentence or a thought.

One thing he isn't is eloquent, and he is rarely composed.

All we really know about Trump is through the lens of an elite owned US print and broadcast media. Who are openly antipathetic towards him, and he them.

It is worth bearing this in mind when reading any anti Trump rhetoric in the press or online. When he's in office, feel free to critique his actions. But not before.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

SpannerGeek wrote:All we really know about Trump is through the lens of an elite owned US print and broadcast media. Who are openly antipathetic towards him, and he them.

It is worth bearing this in mind when reading any anti Trump rhetoric in the press or online. When he's in office, feel free to critique his actions. But not before.

umm... there are plenty of pro-Trump and right-biased media to read:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/201 ... story.html
http://www.breitbart.com/

And the Washington Post is fairly conservative. They also have some very conservative people doing articles and opinion pieces, like https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 9321e753f6

I generally feel that it's best to read a spectrum of things in order to be well-informed, even if I don't agree with all of them.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

SpannerGeek wrote:All we really know about Trump is through the lens of an elite owned US print and broadcast media. Who are openly antipathetic towards him, and he them.

The second part of that I agree with. In one sense, Trump is an outsider. Whoever he was, the political classes would circle their wagons to keep him out.

But we know an awful (awful being the right word) lot about Trump, direct from the horse's mouth. He hasn't been denied media space, and what he has done with that space is display his ignorance, contradict himself, bluster, boast, insult, and launch bizarre attacks on all and sundry.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

When he's in office, feel free to critique his actions. But not before.

How bizarre. People should refrain from criticising candidates, presidents-elect who make racist and misogynist statements, mock the disabled and support dangerous and corrupt foreign regimes?

Why?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

blackbike wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Err,you joke ,no?
A few years ago he was claiming Merryl Streep was a "fine actress,one of the best" now she's "one of the most over-rated actresses in Hollywood",the only thing that changed in the intervening period was that she allied herself with Clinton in the election campaign,and was scathing of Trumps questionable conduct toward minority groups and particular the disabled.
She earned his erroneous comment by simply being opposed to his lack of composure,eloquence and correctness as a result.
He couldn't have been more wrong in his attack on her.

And elected.

That can't be denied,though with 2 million,that T-W-O M-I-L-L-I-O-N less votes than his opponent,which says more about the so called democracy of the USA than anything

I'm very impressed with Trump's spiel.

Isn't someone more than what they spiel?
Though taken at his word his record of what he says about other people,particularly minority groups,Muslims,Mexicans,women,and the disabled cast a long shadow.
All from a man whose been declared bankrupt four times.
You may be impressed,I'm not.

He knows how to get votes.

In a rigged system yes your right he does.

But that just makes him like many politicians before him,

I disagree he's potentially far,far worse if his track record is anything to go by.

including the disappointing Mr Obama who was equally eloquent though in a different way.

No worse than many others and better than most in both speech and actions.

As for Ms Streep, she has revealed her predictable views to an audience of other rich, like-minded people and got a round of applause. Big deal.

What you seem to forget is that her speech has now been watched around the world by billions and not just the assembled rich actors,I strongly suspect that when she threw that cat among those pigeons she knew exactly what she was doing.
Her gift in return was the "composed, eloquent and correct" tweet by the President elect Mr Trump as he gracefully stepped into the man trap carefully laid before him for all the world to see,all the world except Mr Trump of course :?

Is this the man to bring prosperity to the US and stability to the world,I'm concerned that he isn't the man for the job by a long chalk.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

reohn2 wrote:

Err,you joke ,no?
A few years ago he was claiming Merryl Streep was a "fine actress,one of the best" now she's "one of the most over-rated actresses in Hollywood"....

Maybe he's changed his mind.

A few years ago, eight to be exact, President Obama said he was going to shut the Guantanamo Bay prison camp. He didn't.

Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

blackbike wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Err,you joke ,no?
A few years ago he was claiming Merryl Streep was a "fine actress,one of the best" now she's "one of the most over-rated actresses in Hollywood"....

A few years ago, eight to be exact, President Obama said he was going to shut the Guantanamo Bay prison camp. He didn't.

Or maybe he hasn't.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/ ... guantanamo
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/23/politics/ ... sure-plan/
http://time.com/4178779/obama-close-guantanamo-bay/
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

BrianFox wrote:
When he's in office, feel free to critique his actions. But not before.

How bizarre. People should refrain from criticising candidates, presidents-elect who make racist and misogynist statements, mock the disabled and support dangerous and corrupt foreign regimes?

Why?

Particularly given the impact his ongoing outbursts and claims (on Twitter) are having on real world companies. Just look at what has happened to several companies he "has taken a dislike to" and they virtually immediate share price crash.

Also, in many respects he does currently hold "an office" (he holds the "office" of "President Elect" - which gives him certain powers e.g. he has put loads of people on notice that they are leaving their jobs immediately he becomes President, he has submitted proposed appointments and confirmation hearings are taking place, etc. - something members of the public cannot do). As to whether the "office" of "President Elect" is a formal office which commands salaries, pensions, etc. I have no idea, but he already has significant powers granted through the results of the elections (and he seems to be using those).

Ian
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Judging by his current tweets he's only minutes from an heart attack so this thread might be moot...
Trump wrote:Intelligence agencies should never have allowed this fake news to "leak" into the public. One last shot at me.Are we living in Nazi Germany?

Presumably this was also his response when they 'leaked' that they were looking into Hilary's emails a week before the election...
Or perhaps not.