Trump's response to Meryl Streep's speech....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bonefishblues

Re: Trump's response to Meryl Streep's speech....

Post by Bonefishblues »

R4 Today this morning is worth catching up on iBotherer - IIRC it was the big slot just after 8am where there was a temperate and informed debate about Obama's successes and failings, and what each could be attributed to.

Of particular interest was something I'd not really considered before, which was that of Obama's unwillingness/inability/distaste for one of the core competencies of a politician - dealmaking and compromise - the sort of thing that Bill C was a master of.

Worth a listen.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Interesting report follwing Trumps Press Conference supposedly about his (not very) blind trust which turned out to be his laying into press and iltelligence services (again).

Seems that piles of legal papers he had stacked on a table were
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-press-conference-folders-business-plan-empire-blank-fake-handover-donald-jr-eric-a7523426.html wrote:The papers that Donald Trump made the centre of his first press conference in six months actually appear to have been blank.

And to make sure he got the response from the crowd he felt he deserved
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-press-conference-folders-business-plan-empire-blank-fake-handover-donald-jr-eric-a7523426.html wrote:The conference also appears to have been filled with staff members who were expected to laugh and applaud throughout the event.

Strange way for somebody in the position of President Elect to behave.

Ian
mikeonabike

Post by mikeonabike »

Psamathe, even more strange is that he blamed the US intelligence agencies for leaking the allegations about Russia holding compromising material on him - but the material has been out there among news agencies for weeks.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Related issue, interesting comment in a report
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-impeachment-impeached-highly-likely-us-president-elect-inauguration-us-congress-illegal-a7525761.html wrote:...
Mr Trump’s cabinet nominees have so far broken with him on almost every major policy proposal, including his pro-Russia stance, leading some to question as to how this shift will affect congress support of the leader.

The article is just a load of hypothesis about Trump being impeached at some point during his term - so just guesswork. But I fiund it interesting how many of his appointees to office at their confirmation hearings are breaking with his policies and/or stated intent.

(Treating this thread as a more generic "Trump" thread rather than starting a new thread ...)

Ian
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

mikeonabike wrote:Psamathe, even more strange is that he blamed the US intelligence agencies for leaking the allegations about Russia holding compromising material on him - but the material has been out there among news agencies for weeks.

Not really strange, it's all part of the "Look Dad! They're bullying me!" distraction approach. I strongly suspect the leaks were in fact made by those backing Trump, as part of continuing misinformation campaign which is designed to keep attention away from what is actually happening (and cause his supporters to dismiss any real evidence of wrongdoing whenever it is presented, as 'part of the bullying of the President').
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

AlaninWales wrote:
mikeonabike wrote:Psamathe, even more strange is that he blamed the US intelligence agencies for leaking the allegations about Russia holding compromising material on him - but the material has been out there among news agencies for weeks.

Not really strange, it's all part of the "Look Dad! They're bullying me!" distraction approach. I strongly suspect the leaks were in fact made by those backing Trump, as part of continuing misinformation campaign which is designed to keep attention away from what is actually happening (and cause his supporters to dismiss any real evidence of wrongdoing whenever it is presented, as 'part of the bullying of the President').

An interesting theory,and possibly not without merit.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Trump will have his reasons for making his dislike and mistrust of the CIA known to us all. He told us he didn't trust it way back in August.

'Liberals' have been telling us for decades just how underhand, manipulative and downright evil the CIA is.

Surely they should welcome a president who seems to agree with them about the agency.

But no, they've gone full Farage hysterical over Trump's election.

Their panic and disarray is wonderful to see.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

blackbike wrote:'Liberals' have been telling us for decades just how underhand, manipulative and downright evil the CIA is.

Surely they should welcome a president who seems to agree with them about the agency.

'
Just to add a bit of depth to your caricature - many of the people 'hysterical' over Trump's election are Republicans, and many liberals have criticised the publication of the files - including commentators at your favourite liberal paper.

Not everything fits your tribal model of politics.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bovlomov wrote:
blackbike wrote:'Liberals' have been telling us for decades just how underhand, manipulative and downright evil the CIA is.

'
Just to add a bit of depth to your caricature - many of the people 'hysterical' over Trump's election are Republicans, and many liberals have criticised the publication of the files - including commentators at your favourite liberal paper.

Oh but were life as simple a some people try to make it :wink:
W H Auden
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

reohn2 wrote:
bovlomov wrote:

'

Oh but were life as simple a some people try to make it :wink:

I'm happy with the current turmoil on both sides of the pond. The status quo was not good for many people.

Most of the moaning seems to be coming from people who have had their simple, cosy world shattered. They are shocked and amazed that people they consider stupid, poorly educated and deplorable have dared to disobey them by voting for people they told them not to.

What's the world coming to if the plebs are allowed to vote for what they like?
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

blackbike wrote:The status quo was not good for many people.

I agree with that, but I don't understand why you so often lay the blame at the door of the liberal left. The EU states, during much of the past decade, have been in the hands of the right (Sarkozy, Merkel, Berlusconi, Cameron, Orban, Rajoy, Juncker, to name a few). The bankers aren't known for being liberals or leftists. Neither are the Davos people.

They are shocked and amazed that people they consider stupid, poorly educated and deplorable have dared to disobey them by voting for people they told them not to.

Those are your words, and they don't reflect the truth. There is, of course, an issue about poor education and ignorance of civic matters, that affects the way people vote. It's a legitimate concern. I've not, however, heard or read a single person complaining about being disobeyed.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

blackbike wrote:I'm happy with the current turmoil on both sides of the pond.

Well I'm glad one of us is.
FWIW,I wasn't happy before and I'm not happy now.

The status quo was not good for many people.

I agree with you.
I can't believe I just typed that,but I did! :D

Most of the moaning seems to be coming from people who have had their simple, cosy world shattered. They are shocked and amazed that people they consider stupid, poorly educated and deplorable have dared to disobey them by voting for people they told them not to.

By they,who do you mean?
I'm most likely considered one of those "people they consider stupid, poorly educated and deplorable" and I'm not happy with the way things are going presently on either side of "the pond"

What's the world coming to if the plebs are allowed to vote for what they like?

People will vote for whoever they like but the problem is the disinformation and downright lies being peddled by politrickians to gain those votes and no one being able to do a thing about it as I posted elsewhere,we're now definitely into the age of post truth.
If people are happy with that then there's no hope,these liars can say anything they like that sounds credible to the itching ears of idiots and are no more than snake oil salesmen.
W H Auden
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

reohn2 wrote:....at the Golden Globe awards.
Why didn't he just not respond?
Is his ego so big that he can't see the idiocy of his 'tweet'(I really wanted to write 'trump')?
Is this worth discussing?

You may think about commenting on her ego?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

blackbike wrote: The status quo was not good for many people.

But it was better than it's going to get for those same people when robotisation takes off including self driving vehicles. The two together will eliminate many jobs. That's the real threat the future holds for many.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

blackbike wrote:... The status quo was not good for many people....

As I see it the difficulty comes in that the status quo is good for the people in power (the likes of Trump, May, etc.) so I can't see them making changes for the better for those who the status quo is not working for.

And, just because something is not working doe snot mean any change is for the better. A change from a status quo can be a change for the worse. And with people like Trump, May, etc. in power (i.e. those very wealthy elite) I can't see things changing significantly for the better for those suffering under the current status quo.

Maybe people need to think more about what the want rather than what they don't want.

Ian