Touring Cyclist Club

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mullinsm

Re: Touring Cyclist Club .... a new resource

Post by mullinsm »

andymiller wrote:

Personally I always found the word 'club' off-putting, and there are an awful lot of cyclists who don't go cycle touring.

And a complete shock? I'm sure you were posting about it weeks ago.

Personally, I found the word "club" a pretty accurate description when it was a club and there are indeed many cyclists who don't tour just as there are many organisations to cater for them. I however, thought that "The Cyclists Touring Club" might be a club for cyclists who tour. My bad obviously.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cycle touring is, it seems to me, the protracted, multi-day form of leisure cycling. I wonder if interest would be increased if Leisure Cycling were the focus. Or even Adventure Cycling. For me it is all about getting on a bike and riding for pleasure, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for days or weeks.

What doesn't interest me so much in a club is stuff about commuting and other forms of utility cycling. I do those hum-drum forms of cycling but I don't want to be in a club dedicated to them any more than I want to be in a club dedicated to doing the laundry. I want my club to be about things I do for pleasure.
mjr

Post by mjr »

So finally I got around to having another go at expressing an interest - and was told I needed to be a CTC member? Screenshot attached.
Attachments
TCC expression of interest form problem
TCC expression of interest form problem
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
robgul

Post by robgul »

mjr wrote:So finally I got around to having another go at expressing an interest - and was told I needed to be a CTC member? Screenshot attached.

It has to be you/your device that's the problem. Which device/OS are you using? If you want to PM me from here with those details then please do and I'll see if we can work out what your issue is.

I've just run 2 tests 2 minutes ago and they were fine - and we've had about 100 responses in the past 24 hours - and one in the last 15 seconds as I type.

It works!

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
mjr

Post by mjr »

robgul wrote:I've just run 2 tests 2 minutes ago and they were fine - and we've had about 100 responses in the past 24 hours - and one in the last 15 seconds as I type.

It works!

It works for some people, including you. It has to be you/your website that's the problem because other sites are working OK. PM sent.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
robgul

Post by robgul »

mjr wrote:
robgul wrote:I've just run 2 tests 2 minutes ago and they were fine - and we've had about 100 responses in the past 24 hours - and one in the last 15 seconds as I type.

It works!

It works for some people, including you. It has to be you/your website that's the problem because other sites are working OK. PM sent.

I've seen the message - there's no reason that you shouldn't be able to access. As I said we've had hundreds of responses - with not one message saying they can't complete and send the form. The website is using a standard CMS with compatible components and no software modifications.

You can obviously see the website if it's just the input form that's giving you a problem.

Our testing of the website and input forms has been with PC & Mac based computers, Android, ipad/iphone and browsers including IE, Firefox, Edge, Opera etc.

Rob
mjr

Post by mjr »

robgul wrote:I've seen the message - there's no reason that you shouldn't be able to access. As I said we've had hundreds of responses - with not one message saying they can't complete and send the form.

I'm confused. You say you've seen not one message saying someone can't complete and send the form - so you've not seen my message saying I can't send the form, which you clearly have because you've replied to it... :?

The website is using a standard CMS with compatible components and no software modifications.

Yeah, it's Joomla. If you really want to go appealing to be "standard", take a look at what standards Joomla currently complies with (hint: they don't claim any) and point some of the standards-compliance testing tools at it to see the errors like https://validator.w3.org/nu/?doc=http%3 ... ested-form

It also really shouldn't have "index.php" floating in the middle of the page addresses if it's done as described in the Joomla installation instructions. That often signifies that mod_rewrite is misconfigured or not installed.

But whether it's standard or not is rather irrelevant - I'd be happy if only it worked!

Our testing of the website and input forms has been with PC & Mac based computers, Android, ipad/iphone and browsers including IE, Firefox, Edge, Opera etc.

Saying that doesn't help anyone because I might not use the same version of Firefox on the same version of Android as the one that passed your tests and then you can easily claim that that's still the problem rather than the website's configuration. :-( I can get hold of Firefox 40 on Android 4.1.2 if you think that'll work?
robgul

Post by robgul »

Sorry - life's too short to get into an argument about software standards. We're getting on with the job we set out to do.

To reiterate NOBODY else has told us that they can't use the forms (either by a forum message or email) .... we have had hundreds of responses with some really great support for what we are trying to do, and lots of positive ideas and suggestions.

Rob
mjr

Post by mjr »

robgul wrote:Sorry - life's too short to get into an argument about software standards.

Then why did you try to start that argument? :? Were you just hoping that I'd never used Joomla at work?

To reiterate NOBODY else has told us that they can't use the forms (either by a forum message or email) .... we have had hundreds of responses with some really great support for what we are trying to do, and lots of positive ideas and suggestions.

In other words, it works for you and your friends, but you're not willing even to say what software it works on (beyond basically not mine) or whether you think it would work on specific software/device combinations? This hostility to interested cyclists is really rather disappointing.

By the way, this exchange is typical and why people now rarely tell web site owners that their sites are broken. The sort of "it has to be you/your device" externalising, "we're using a standard CMS" discouraging, "NOBODY else" marginalising and similar legal bum-covering is now so common that maybe less than 5% of faults you'd report would ever be resolved - slightly more for B2C commercial sites, much less for volunteer-run sites. If I didn't care so much about what TCC could be, I'd do my usual thing of just moving on to the next page, like most readers do.

Oh well, it's true to the spirit of CTC, as they only used to fix a minority of reported web faults too :lol: (but to be fair, many seemed to boil down to Engaging Networks integration/limitations eventually).
Barred1

Post by Barred1 »

mjr wrote:
robgul wrote:Sorry - life's too short to get into an argument about software standards.

Then why did you try to start that argument? :? Were you just hoping that I'd never used Joomla at work?

In other words, it works for you and your friends, but you're not willing even to say what software it works on (beyond basically not mine) or whether you think it would work on specific software/device combinations? This hostility to interested cyclists is really rather disappointing.

By the way, this exchange is typical and why people now rarely tell web site owners that their sites are broken. The sort of "it has to be you/your device" externalising, "we're using a standard CMS" discouraging, "NOBODY else" marginalising and similar legal bum-covering is now so common that maybe less than 5% of faults you'd report would ever be resolved - slightly more for B2C commercial sites, much less for volunteer-run sites. If I didn't care so much about what TCC could be, I'd do my usual thing of just moving on to the next page, like most readers do.

Oh well, it's true to the spirit of CTC, as they only used to fix a minority of reported web faults too :lol: (but to be fair, many seemed to boil down to Engaging Networks integration/limitations eventually).

Not sure what you're trying to do here ... the response from robgul seems fair in the circumstances. Saying "hostility to interested cyclists" is to me hostile in itself and looking back on your posts you seem to have been on this hobby horse, and others, before?

B1

B1
Riding high!
monxton

Post by monxton »

pwa wrote:What doesn't interest me so much in a club is stuff about commuting and other forms of utility cycling. I do those hum-drum forms of cycling but I don't want to be in a club dedicated to them any more than I want to be in a club dedicated to doing the laundry. I want my club to be about things I do for pleasure.

Some people are fortunate enough to have highly pleasurable commutes through country lanes, as mine was. Often the best two half-hours of the working day :-).

And what if there were people out there insisting that you shouldn't be permitted to use a washing machine without a licence, insurance and a helmet? You might need an organisation to protect the interests of launderers.
pwa

Post by pwa »

monxton wrote:
pwa wrote:What doesn't interest me so much in a club is stuff about commuting and other forms of utility cycling. I do those hum-drum forms of cycling but I don't want to be in a club dedicated to them any more than I want to be in a club dedicated to doing the laundry. I want my club to be about things I do for pleasure.

Some people are fortunate enough to have highly pleasurable commutes through country lanes, as mine was. Often the best two half-hours of the working day :-).

And what if there were people out there insisting that you shouldn't be permitted to use a washing machine without a licence, insurance and a helmet? You might need an organisation to protect the interests of launderers.

I agree that rural commuting is pleasurable. I did it for many years. What I don't want from a club is campaigning about urban cycle facilities. That, surely, is the job of the body that has replaced our national cycle touring club. I want to be part of a club that concentrates on the kind of cycling that I am passionate about.
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

robgul wrote:Sorry - life's too short to get into an argument about software standards. We're getting on with the job we set out to do.

Rob

I think its a great new resource , i've had no problem with the site , well done Rob and team. You've got my support .
Barred1

Post by Barred1 »

I guess that after the CTC AGM these guys are going to see a spike in interest? Looks like a launch is imminent - "I'm in" as they say on Dragon's Den

B1
Riding high!
robgul

Post by robgul »

Barred1 wrote:I guess that after the CTC AGM these guys are going to see a spike in interest? Looks like a launch is imminent - "I'm in" as they say on Dragon's Den

B1

You're correct. We've had a mass of "I'm interested" messages over the past 24 hours and there's an update on the website with when we're hoping to launch a low-cost membership plan with insurance options.

The messages are indicating that http://www.touringcyclistclub.org.uk will better serve members with a new club with touring focus rather than a re-hash of CTC which a few people have suggested elsewhere. A fresh approach, but not losing sight of the traditions that CTC has chucked out of the window over recent years.

Rob

PS : we're about to launch a competition to design a logo for Touring Cyclist Club so watch out for details