Hiring bikes abroad - poss. Majorca

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
fast but dim

Re: Hiring bikes abroad - poss. Majorca

Post by fast but dim »

Further to my above post: I've just got back from a week's cycling based in Can Pickafort, just outside Pollenca.

I can honestly say it's the nicest area I've cycled, not only for the scenery, but also for the quality of the roads, and the attitude of the motorists. I punctured on a solo ride in the middle of nowhere, and a 50plus year old local woman stopped and offered me a lift to the nearest cycle shop :D

We hired from http://www.wheelssport.net/ ... the service and bikes were excellent. I'd advise anyone to hire from a shop close to your accomodation. Our group had a couple minor issues that were swiftly sorted with a five minute shop visit!

Bike hire in the area is a doddle, there are hire shops on every corner!
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Certainly if you're taking your own bike and doing the likes of hiring a villa so that the beachside holiday thing isn't a requirement then staying a bit inland is probably going to be good value. Sineu is indeed pretty central, and much more of a locals town, not so many tourists there I would expect. But quite a ride to the seaside!

I wouldn't like to stay in Alcudia, I've cycled and driven through it and the only thoughts I've had while there is that I want to get out of the place as fast as possible - did help my average speed a little ;). Port de Pollenca on the other hand is lovely.

The last couple of occasions we've been based in Cala d'Or but that was because our priority was a family holiday not a cycling trip. But it doesn't really matter where you stay there's great cycling almost everywhere.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Mark1978 wrote: Sineu is indeed pretty central, and much more of a locals town, not so many tourists there I would expect. But quite a ride to the seaside!

In Sineu there's also the outdoor velodrome, totally free to use and which many riders going to Majorca don't seem to know about. Great to have a try; both times I've been our small group have had it to ourselves.
Chris F, Cornwall
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

I didn't know about that! And I've ridden past there too!