new(ish) Ortliebs

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
doodah

Re: new(ish) Ortliebs

Post by doodah »

Hi gloomyandy,

Sincere thanks for the link. Just cycled to Spa Cycles and collected the new fan dangled fixings. It appears they have different orientations for the swing arm - heaven be blessed :roll:

I was so upbeat that I had to stop at a not so frequently visited hostelry and have a modicum of of only 5 pints - the wine comes later :roll:

Thanks for the link - i really didn't see it on their website.

Cheers

doodah
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

You are more than welcome! Please report back on how well it actually works (a picture or two of how you end up fitting it would be great!), as I'm in two minds about getting them!

Oh and Cheers!
doodah

Post by doodah »

Ok, I'll do my best but without doing the practical test test -I think you've come up trumps,

Will inform you after my experiment.

doodah
doodah

Post by doodah »

Now then gloomy,

Please find below a couple of pix showing the modified arm fitted. You can see the space between the arm and pannier is now a lot greater.

In the face on photo, I have it fitted at 9:00 - it can be fitted at 12:00, 3:00 and 6:00'

The quarter segment shape enables it to catch a lot more of the rack.

Well worth the money and time.

Looking down.jpg

Face on.jpg

doodah
doodah

Post by doodah »

16 .jpg
And here is a snap showing the rear rack "tubed up". It stops the long adjustable plastic rail on the pannier from abraiding the rack.

Thanks to Martin for the excellent idea - I tip my hat to you Hombre 8)

And after much costly R & D I have patented the "Lower Rack Protective Conduit TM" A lot of you will be under the misapprehension that it is yellow Hozelock hosepipe. Wrong!!!

Be aware that litigation will be invoked against anyone trying to sell, misdescribe or copy this patent.

14 .jpg

Silence is now assured from the panniers. Alas there is a small noise coming from somewhere but I'm finding it hard to detect. It sounds like nuts rolling around in a bag. Every time I stop, so does the noise. Shaking the bike and it's contents cannot reproduce the noise. I'm confused .com

doodah
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Thanks for the update! I'm convinced! Looks like I will need another visit to Spa. I like also really like the tubes you have added. What was the black tubing you used on the rear rack? It looks very neat, I'd like to do the same to both my racks as the rattling of the panniers can be rather annoying! Only problem is my panniers are black so the Hozelock would not match!
doodah

Post by doodah »

gloomyandy wrote:Only problem is my panniers are black

Solution - spray the panniers yellow - yeah!! Problem solved

doodah
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Yep that would work ;-)

What was the black tubing you used on the rear rack? It looks really neat, would like to do the same. Hope to call in at Spa later today on my way back from a 25 TT!
doodah

Post by doodah »

Hi gloomy,

here is the link

MartinBrice wrote:As for the problem with the clips on Ortliebs: you are not alone. Here is a post I made elsewhere. This might solve your problem.

The problem:
Ortlieb panniers come with gurt big hooks and smaller inserts for the hooks, which make the hooks fit snugly on the rails of the racks. But these little inserts are a pain: they can fall out and be lost or twist and get stuck so it's difficult to get them seated correctly. BUT if you remove them entirely, the panniers rattle. (OK, this is not the biggest problem the world faces, hence the title thread.)
The answer:
Put thick plastic tubing on the racks rails so their diameter is the same as the gurt big hooks on the Ortlieb panniers.
The "How to" section:
i bought this on eBay:
Description: Clear PVC Hose Pipe Tubing - Food Grade - Fish Pond Car Aquariums Air Line Tube [10mm ID x 16mm OD (thick wall),2.0 Metre Lengt , Item # 261408670856 Qty: 1 Unit Price: 5.24 GBP

I then cut it into lengths the same as the racks (these are the front racks from Thorn, I've also done it on the Thorn Expedition rear rack and the rear rack (Tortec I think) on the audax bike), then slit it lengthwise and popped it on (this is quite tricky as the piping is quite thick and is tough material). Like this:

Just a few tiny cable ties to hold them in place (not really necessary I suspect but I had 850 cable ties in a plastic container so why not?),
then:

some black spinnaker tape to make it look "proper" and Bob's your uncle.
so now those small tiny little miniature inserts from Ortlieb can go back into the bottom of the panniers and stop falling off/out/slipping sideways as they do.
Was this worth a fiver and an hour or so of fettling? Maybe. Of course I could have just bunged some Araldite on the little inserts so they didn't move, but then they'd be there for ever and one day I might want to remove them.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Thanks for that. Called in at Spa yesterday, none of the hooks left! You must have got that last ones. No matter have ordered some online.
doodah

Post by doodah »

gloomyandy wrote:You must have got that last ones.

Yes, I did, but saw your post too late to inform you.

Nevertheless, it's £10.00 well spent.

doodah