Panniers for weekend tours

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
martin113

Panniers for weekend tours

Post by martin113 »

I have a set of panniers for fully loaded camping tours. Recently I have been looking to do more weekend tours using B and Bs, so much lighter loads to carry. My Carradice rear panniers are too big to need two for the weekend and I don't much enjoy riding with one loaded pannier on the back. So I am looking for a pair of small panniers, waterproof but no need for more than about 25 litres total between the two. My front panniers won't fit on the back rack. I could get a pair of Carradice front super Cs and use them on the back but they seem a bit excessively heavy at 1370 gms for the pair. Any ideas?
PH

Re: Panniers for weekend tours

Post by PH »

As you have a Carridice thing going on, have you considered a saddlebag? The Nelson is I think 18ltr and the long flap version will take a stuff sack with another few if you need it. The quick release bagman holds it well and means you don't need a saddle with loops, it also allows it to come of in an instant. One of these and a barbag will easily do me a weeks non camping tour in moderate weather, the longflap capacity only gets used to hold any shopping .
bobzeller

Post by bobzeller »

You might take a look at the Arkel 28 pannier. http://www.arkel-od.com/en/t-28-lite-to ... niers.html I have used a set of these since 2006 and have been delighted with them. They are exceptionally well made and have, in my opinion, the best fastening system on the market today.

My tours (once or twice a year) generally last about 10 days or two weeks and the design is such that I can get everything I need in them. They are front opening as well which means, to me at least, that it is easier to pack them using all the available space. And since they work equally well as front panniers, you could use them in combination with your other panniers should you need more space sometime.

Cheers

Bob
hufty

Post by hufty »

How about just the two front panniers and no rear panniers?
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

You might take a look at the Arkel 28 pannier.

I've seen these panniers in use and liked the look of them and did consider them but they are a bit on the heavy side and I don't think they are sold as waterproof seeing as a raincover is listed for them?
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

A bit pricey for a weekend trip IMO!
How about these http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/altura-arc-1 ... prod33239/
I haven't actually tried them - I stumbled across them while checking that Altura Arrans were available in a small size (yes 16l ) and remembered that the OP was specifying waterproof.
personally I'd accept the Arrans. My larger ones have done well, and I'd probably want to use a waterproof liner anyway for B&B work - you can leave the wet muddy things with the bike and just carry clean bags indoors - landladies preferred option :D
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
mjr

Post by mjr »

I'm currently having a similar dither. Do I use my cheap no-name small single panniers on a weekend tour so I can carry them more easily, use the axle-mounted bungees to attach bags to the rack top and risk them getting up to their old tricks (bent/broken hooks, trying to sag their corners into the wheel or bounce off, and so on), or do I take the bigger and sturdier Basil Mara double panniers and just deal with needing extra luggage straps to attach anything to the rack top and the relative awkwardness of carrying a double off the bike? What would more experienced tourists do?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

For a weekend, I have sometimes taken only one pannier.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

mjr wrote:I'm currently having a similar dither. Do I use my cheap no-name small single panniers on a weekend tour so I can carry them more easily, use the axle-mounted bungees to attach bags to the rack top and risk them getting up to their old tricks (bent/broken hooks, trying to sag their corners into the wheel or bounce off, and so on), or do I take the bigger and sturdier Basil Mara double panniers and just deal with needing extra luggage straps to attach anything to the rack top and the relative awkwardness of carrying a double off the bike? What would more experienced tourists do?

I don't think I would categorise myself as experienced in such illustrious company but I've spent far too much time trying to extract bits of shredded bungee from various parts of the rear derallieur etc I find for regular trips my kids bags that are mounted with clips and then have an elastic retainer bit at the bottom can have the elastic bit shorn off to avoid the inevitable "mummy, my rear wheel won't turn".
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

MrsHJ wrote:I don't think I would categorise myself as experienced in such illustrious company but I've spent far too much time trying to extract bits of shredded bungee from various parts of the rear derallieur etc I find for regular trips my kids bags that are mounted with clips and then have an elastic retainer bit at the bottom can have the elastic bit shorn off to avoid the inevitable "mummy, my rear wheel won't turn".

:lol: :lol: that sounds familiar!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mjr

Post by mjr »

MrsHJ wrote:I don't think I would categorise myself as experienced in such illustrious company but I've spent far too much time trying to extract bits of shredded bungee from various parts of the rear derallieur etc I find for regular trips my kids bags that are mounted with clips and then have an elastic retainer bit at the bottom can have the elastic bit shorn off to avoid the inevitable "mummy, my rear wheel won't turn".

More experienced than me! In thirty-mumble years cycling, I've only ever done day trips or the very occasional overnight, where I feel I can get away with fewer clothes and tools than a long weekend.

I may be being dim, but I'm interpreting the above as advice to go for the double panniers because they're less trouble on the bike. Even if I use my bungees with the smaller singles, there's little chance of getting them stuck in anything because their ends are connected to the axle http://brilliantbikes.co.uk/accessories ... avert.html and no chance that they'll foul my rear derailleur because I don't have one on that bike.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

mjr wrote:

More experienced than me! In thirty-mumble years cycling, I've only ever done day trips or the very occasional overnight, where I feel I can get away with fewer clothes and tools than a long weekend.

I may be being dim, but I'm interpreting the above as advice to go for the double panniers because they're less trouble on the bike. Even if I use my bungees with the smaller singles, there's little chance of getting them stuck in anything because their ends are connected to the axle http://brilliantbikes.co.uk/accessories ... avert.html and no chance that they'll foul my rear derailleur because I don't have one on that bike.

I would say that all in all we are happy with the small pair of panniers (they are from SJS and are currently on sale at £9.99-30 litres a pair) and fit the kids/adults bikes and carry a modest amount but enough to be useful. They are not weighty at all unlike my bomb proof Ortliebs.

However they have 2 drawbacks- one is no rain cover included and second is the aforementioned elastic clips at the bottom are not designed for the smaller frame on a child's bike which can lead to problems. I have now cut them off. Ps I really like those bungees you have!
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

I got a pair of small Carradice Carradry. They were carracrap.
The pannier rack catches all lost their rivets in no time at all which was a PITA on a tour.
They are waterproof up to a point but not 100% which means in heavy weather it gets in and stays in. A much better option is water resistant - with stuff packed in poly bags if you anticipate any bad weather. Or Ortleib with the rollover tops.

Front panniers are best avoided except if very light loaded. If too heavy you can get an adverse pendulum effect which can make going up a hill more difficult
Enigmadick

Post by Enigmadick »

Given the limited weight you'll be carrying for a weekend of B&Bing, I would have thought one pannier wouldn't feel unbalanced, but if you do feel the need for something else I'd recommend Ortlieb Sports Packers which are lovely little things, that are easy to clip off and carry into your overnight accommodation. I've actually done week long hostel tours with a pair and at 15 litres each, there's plenty of room.
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

ortlieb front panniers. bombproof, waterproof, and enough space for warm clothing, or smart clothing for evenings, space for spare grub, bottles of wine for hosts, etc. just because they can carry lots doesn't mean you have to have lots with you, but it's very good to have the option. they are small enough to be neat, i used them for several fortnight-long tours, using hotels. anything non-waterproof is an utter pain. unless you're cycling in the sahara, obvs.