Panniers for weekend tours

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
RickH

Re: Panniers for weekend tours

Post by RickH »

You could try just the front panniers - do a test run. I liked them when I wanted to carry stuff with my not-really-built-for-luggage Vitus 979 bike in the 80s & early 90s.

Alternatively, how about a rack bag?

If Carradice don't do big enough there's a Topeak one that has drop down side panniers that takes its capacity to 22l. It is water resistant rather than waterproof but you can get a waterproof cover if you want more protection. I've been using a couple of Topeak bags for several years and am pleased with them.

You can combine a rack bag with panniers too - when I've done a fixed base weekend I've sometimes taken the stuff for the weekend in panniers plus the rack bag to use on the day rides.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
ribblerouser

Post by ribblerouser »

I've used Carradry 2X10 litre panniers for years, and found them to be very tough and waterproof, seldom take them off the touring/utility bike now. Used to use one on my road bike till reverting to a saddle bag.

[emoji86][emoji85][emoji87]
mjr

Post by mjr »

ribblerouser wrote:I've used Carradry 2X10 litre panniers for years, and found them to be very tough and waterproof, seldom take them off the touring/utility bike now.

Do you secure them to the bike while stopped? How? Thanks in advance.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

mjr wrote:
ribblerouser wrote:I've used Carradry 2X10 litre panniers for years, and found them to be very tough and waterproof, seldom take them off the touring/utility bike now.

String is good. In fact essential for when catches, brackets, straps fail. Very difficult to undo in a hurry if you are trying to steal something - add a wire bike lock so a knife would be no use.
The best string is that nice nylon stuff used for walking boot laces. Doesn't tangle. Always carry string.
ribblerouser

Post by ribblerouser »

mjr wrote:

No I never bother, there is a strap on the top which I attach to the rack, sort of belt and braces in case I've forgotten to close the fasteners, which I did once when I was at work and the pannier parted company after a large pothole. If you want to secure panniers a cafe lock would be ideal, it could be looped through panniers and rack, and also helmet.
ribblerouser

Post by ribblerouser »

Great minds think alike.

[emoji86][emoji85][emoji87]
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

MartinBrice wrote:ortlieb front panniers. bombproof, waterproof, and enough space for warm clothing, or smart clothing for evenings, space for spare grub, bottles of wine for hosts, etc. just because they can carry lots doesn't mean you have to have lots with you, but it's very good to have the option. they are small enough to be neat, i used them for several fortnight-long tours, using hotels. anything non-waterproof is an utter pain. unless you're cycling in the sahara, obvs.

+1 - I used this set up for a two week b+b tour with no problem other than too much space! Not cheap but my original set of Ortliebs are into their second decade now and whilst looking a bit scruffy are still watertight and i've never replaced any of the hardware. You really do get what you pay for with luggage
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

MrsHJ wrote:However they have 2 drawbacks- one is no rain cover included and second is the aforementioned elastic clips at the bottom are not designed for the smaller frame on a child's bike which can lead to problems. I have now cut them off. Ps I really like those bungees you have!

Maybe you can get a couple of raincovers designed for kids rucksacks? Those are readily available in Norway, and not very expensive, so I guess they should be available there, or at least another country that you visit :)

For the clips... after Mini V destroyed a few bungees on her panniers, I replaced the clip & bungee arrangement with Ortlieb spares. http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/ortlieb-anch ... 8/?geoc=us

I mounted them a bit higher up, and put a bit of rubber round her rack, so they fit properly.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pq

Post by pq »

I've got one of these (well an earlier version):

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.c ... s/Viscacha

Not only is it very light in itself, but you can also ditch your pannier carriers. I've toured (in good weather) for a couple of weeks with mine and was very impressed. It doesn't wobble or chaffe, although it isn't especially easy to attach to the bike.
One link to your website is enough. G
whoof

Post by whoof »

pq wrote:I've got one of these (well an earlier version):

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.c ... s/Viscacha

Not only is it very light in itself, but you can also ditch your pannier carriers. I've toured (in good weather) for a couple of weeks with mine and was very impressed. It doesn't wobble or chaffe, although it isn't especially easy to attach to the bike.

Thanks for the link. I been think of getting something like this. I've looked at the Apidura bag and it seem quite big which somewhat defeated the point of trying to travel light also had concerns about it swaying, which according to the second to last post here is a problem.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=104867&start=30
pq

Post by pq »

Mine doesn't sway at all, but you do have to be quite careful about how you pack it - heavy stuff nearer the seatpost and make sure everything is well compressed using the internal straps. I usually also go round every strap twice when I'm loading up to retighten.
bobzeller

Post by bobzeller »

Re bikes4two's comments about Arkel panniers not being waterproof. This is true, they can't be described as waterproof, but in eight years of touring, including many very many rainy days, I have never had a problem with wet or even damp clothes. They make both waterproof and water resistant models and if you get a moment, take a look at their website and read their comments about both.

Cheers
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Vorpal wrote:
MrsHJ wrote:However they have 2 drawbacks- one is no rain cover included and second is the aforementioned elastic clips at the bottom are not designed for the smaller frame on a child's bike which can lead to problems. I have now cut them off. Ps I really like those bungees you have!

Maybe you can get a couple of raincovers designed for kids rucksacks? Those are readily available in Norway, and not very expensive, so I guess they should be available there, or at least another country that you visit :)

For the clips... after Mini V destroyed a few bungees on her panniers, I replaced the clip & bungee arrangement with Ortlieb spares. http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/ortlieb-anch ... 8/?geoc=us

I mounted them a bit higher up, and put a bit of rubber round her rack, so they fit properly.

Thank you. I will investigate- should have picked up some rucksack covers in Bergen- I expect I can track them down here as the cycle specific ones were ridiculously expensive and too small. Edit- yes, excellent plan- Amazon sell them :-)
pq

Post by pq »

I'd beware of using covers, at least if they're like the ones I had. A cover can't enclose the whole pannier because all the attachment clips need to be exposed. What that meant for me is that water would get inside the cover and pool at the bottom, soaking up through the pannier. In other words my stuff got wetter with the covers than without.

If your panniers aren't waterproof a better solution is to get lightweight drybags for the stuff you need to keep dry. They also help organise your stuff inside the pannier.