What gilet for summer?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bikes4two

What gilet for summer?

Post by bikes4two »

A couple of years back during a summer tour of the French Alps, I found myself getting very cold on some of the long descents (temperature at the top of some cols about 4degC but 35degC at the bottom).

This year it's the Alps again and I'm looking for a light, small-in-bulk gilet to help fend off the cold and have so far seen the Rohan Icepack vest and the Paramo Torres gilet.

Are there any particular views to be shared on these garments?

What other garments of similar performance could I consider?

Thanks in anticipation :roll:
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Jezrant

Re: What gilet for summer?

Post by Jezrant »

Just grab a copy of L'Equipe at the nearest PMU before the climb and stuff it under your jersey when you get to the top.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Forget the gilet.
I have found as I get older ( I am an ice man really) to keep my feet warm you keep your legs covered.
Wear a jacket that's windproof (with armies) weighing just 100 grams and your bang for buck will be superior to a Gilet at twice the weight.
I wear a gilet when I go shopping to put my wallet and phone and keys in, but as outdoor protection its poor.
Tenner will buy what you need.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Gilets are great bits of kit.

I have a posh castelli one, but since i don't live with that a simple aldi running gilet that cost around £6 and also performs well for what is needed. For you are really after wind blocking rather than the highest level of breathability.

But there is also this which fulfills a similar need and packs really small.

Special short term offer. Free postage.

https://www.merlincycles.com/lusso-giro ... 867f8ecd8c
Sweep
whoof

Post by whoof »

Sweep wrote:Gilets are great bits of kit.

I agree they are great; lightweight, pack small and can stop the wind to your front but with a mesh back stop you overheating. As such I find them to be better that a shell jacket in many situations.

I use one of these and find it very good.

However, if I am touring in the Alps or Pyrenees the temperature on top of the mountains can be approaching zero, a couple of times it's been snowing on top of the Galibier and Tourmalet in summer. I don't think a gilet is sufficient bad weather clothing for the mountains. On the descent I have put on base layer, shorts, jersey, arm and leg warmers, a light fleece, light water proof jacket, buff, cap and light wool gloves and was thankful for all of it. I know the pro's do it with a sheet of newspaper but on the descent they will be cold and pretty miserable.
whoof

Post by whoof »

LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I have a gilet that I've never used, as I find my arms get cold before my torso does.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Thanks for the suggestions so far. My apologies for not making myself clear in the original posting in that I'm considering a padded gilet to go under a waterproof top, not one of those lightweight gilet that are like thin anoraks with the arms cut off :)
In the previously described experience where I got cold on the long descent, I was wearing my waterproof and windproof jacket over a l/s top but it was not enough especially as I was damp from sweating during the ascent.

The newspaper underneath option? No, not for me as I'd be concerned about water / rain affecting the insulating properties.

I still think a padded gilet will be better for my needs: it's just a case of which one. It would also be a useful garment for chilly evenings.

But I'm still open to ideas / opinions though :)
Last edited by bikes4two on 21 Apr 2016, 7:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
DaveGos

Post by DaveGos »

For long descents I would always put on a waterproof. I carry a very small one even in warm weather as if you have an incident you can get cold quickly. Aldi did a very light gilet that would go in you back pocket but keep the wind off
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

Wise move, a gilet, esp in case of mechanical problems neear the tops. Next time on the alps, I'll be taking my Rab Microlight gilet (similar price to your suggestions), for wearing under a waterproof on the downhills, and in the tent no doubt too. It's down so it packs small. Big gloves, hat too, will be onboard also, and the waterproof trousers, for windblocking during my scorching-fast descents.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Interesting thoughts . I always find the problem when touring is space limits so I try to make sure my clothes do several jobs. My choice has always been shell jacket then thickish fleece, micofleece, cycle top. I aim not to have to wear them all together but I find that combination gives good flexibility and the right potential warmth levels for all eventualities.
whoof

Post by whoof »

As the goal poster have now moved considerably you may wish to consider one of these light down gilets that folds very small.

Mrs Whoof uses the full jacket very for touring in the UK.

http://www.uniqlo.com/uk/store/goods/15656300005
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

bikes4two wrote:A couple of years back during a summer tour of the French Alps, I found myself getting very cold on some of the long descents (temperature at the top of some cols about 4degC but 35degC at the bottom).

This year it's the Alps again and I'm looking for a light, small-in-bulk gilet to help fend off the cold and have so far seen the Rohan Icepack vest and the Paramo Torres gilet.

Both should do the trick, I'd try them on for fit because a lot of thermal performance will be a reasonably snug fit. Neither are cycling specific so if you have a stretched-out riding position they may be a bit short at the back.

From Rohan, also see http://www.rohan.co.uk/mens-bargain-travel-and-outdoor-clothing-in-the-souk-Spark-Jacket?ocode=04038F95 which is a sort of gilet with arms... (makes more sense if you look at it). Also the Spark Vest which is much less insulating than the Icepack but incredibly light and low-bulk.

Down ones... microbaffles are super-trendy at the moment, but all the stitching means a lot of heat-bleed so they're not actually as effective as you might think/hope. For example, ME's Dewline and Arete jackets weigh about the same, but the less-trendy Dewline with bigger baffles is significantly warmer, but a Dewline may be quite a lot warmer than you'd actually want. When you go to microbaffles you lose a lot of the thermal efficiency of down but do buy in to the PITA washing and care aspects. I don't really see the point compared to a light synthetic, however much I love my big downie to sit around in the snow.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
LollyKat wrote:I have a gilet that I've never used, as I find my arms get cold before my torso does.

Same here, that's why it still in the closet.

As they all have a zip (gilets & packaways) I find that I play a tune on the zip as you go up hill then down the other side.
I think the gilet is more fashion than practical but each to his own :)
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
OK, under a windtop etc,

Up on the moors last weekend and have my softshell top but that's not that practical for walking as it lacks enough insulation, shell top is close not tight fit so I cannot wear any underneath.
Put my fleece only gilet over the softshell and that's fine, I did carry a waterproof as well as I always do even in high summer on or off bike.

Its always prudent to carry an extra layer as well as rations whatever the weather or climate.