What gilet for summer?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
psmiffy

Re: What gilet for summer?

Post by psmiffy »

I have a Gore Windstopper gilet - does what it says on the tin - coming down from on high I find completely depends on the circumstances - sometimes it is good enough on it own - sometimes it doesnt get deployed at all in favour of a throw everything I have on approach - gets worn a lot tho - ideal for a light layer to put on over a jersey and base layer on days that are almost warm - horses for courses
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

I bought a really nice Vaude jacket with zip-off sleeves. Sorry there's nothing in the jacket that gives the model name.

I have a slightly contrary view on gilets which is that they are most useful when you are climbing. Going downhill I can't see the advantage over a jacket.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

bikes4two wrote:Thanks for the suggestions so far. My apologies for not making myself clear in the original posting in that I'm considering a padded gilet to go under a waterproof top, not one of those lightweight gilet that are like thin anoraks with the arms cut off :)
)

Not quite sure what you mean by a padded gilet.

Would a light fleece gilet be of interest?

If so, I may be able to point you in the direction of something.
Sweep
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Andymiller/Sweep - padded gilet: any misunderstanding is down to my lack of description as to what I was looking for and why.

The term 'gilet' covers a lot of garment types ranging from windproof shells (like a simple anorak without sleeves) to down or synthetic filled versions.

A number of postings have suggested windproof garments alone, but in my experiences on the long Alps decents, this is not enough as the continuous chill windflow across the body (which is invariably damp from sweat created in the ascent) saps the heat away very quickly. I'm talking of descents lasting 45 minutes plus here.

So the idea with a padded (down synthetic) gilet was to provide an insulated layer to reduce the heat loss (and a gilet rather than a jacket as my arms keep warm enough but not my torso and a gilet is less bulky).

Thanks for the many suggestions which will of course serve other readers well too :D
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

I snagged one of these a while back. I only paid £18 for mine but it's still good value at £22.

Clothing that you can wear both on and off the bike is useful when touring. It's not down but it packs very small and is reversible. The Yellow is handy on the bike if you want high viz.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for that norman.

Interesting.

Would you say that it can also be worn inside a sleeping bag for extra warmth?

This from the description made me smile:

》》This clever piece is also fully reversible, not only giving you contrasting colour options to suit your outfit, but ideal for those times when someone else turns up wearing the same thing.

Nice to see that the social faux pas of emerging from your woodland free camp to encounter another in the same outfit is appreciated, and catered for.
Sweep
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Sweep wrote:

Would you say that it can also be worn inside a sleeping bag for extra warmth?

Yes, that's just the sort of usefulness for touring that I meant.

Slightly off topic, I recently bought some merino thermals specifically for nightwear from Mountain Warehouse. They were actually cheaper (£19.99) in store, than their on line price.

It was at their outlet in the Galleria at Hatfield.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Yes mountain warehouse do some good stuff.

I have a set of aldi synthetic thermals for nightime use, though won't be as warm as your woolnof course.
Sweep
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Sweep wrote:Yes mountain warehouse do some good stuff.

I have a set of aldi synthetic thermals for nightime use, though won't be as warm as your woolnof course.

Wool isn't magically warmer than synthetics, it'll depend in large part how thick as warmth tends to be about air trapping, in turn about how much and how structured.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Aldi online have a breathable waterproof? soft shell jacket with zippable sleeves.....................£16.99 + postage £3.
Not seen one.
https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuys/all- ... lar&page=1
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

I would add the PHD Minimus down gilet to your list. Windproofness I don't know, but light and warm and rolls up small.

EDIT: if you are only planning to wear it for extra warmth for long downhill descents then I don't think washing is an issue.
Last edited by andymiller on 28 Apr 2016, 3:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I use a gilet for cycling and work. I'm a fan. As they need constant washing I would avoid down. I am muscular and 'veiney' so I can manage my total body temperature by covering/uncovering my feet and forearms or wearing thinner/thicker socks. I'm yet to try arm warmers as I'm not really a cycle clothing guru. Similar to what was said upthread. At the moment my legs are numb like Royal Mail standard issue limbs.

I used to commute with a few pages of newspaper down my front. Really effective.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

If you do decide to go down the layered route OP, aldi are selling a cycling gilet on may 1.

A tenner i think.
Sweep
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

Right at the other end of the price scale, both rapha and vulpine make insulated gilets that should pack down small; both use synthetic insulation so should wash well and deal with perspiration. The vulpine's currently 20% off.

http://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/brevet-i ... duct/BIG01
http://www.vulpine.cc/uk/mens/thermal/m ... tch-orange
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for that and the £130 rapha gilet but i think i'll stick to my rather more flexible layering.

Aldi merino base layer -£15
Aldi cycling top/shirt/jersey or whatever - £10

Top windblocking layer when needed in fetching black, CHOICE OF:

Aldi waterproof - £20

Lusso lightweight packable showrproof, currently £15 from merlin cycles.

All in one technical tops are undoubtedly great for racing but less appropriate I think for general purpose cycling.
Sweep