Groundeffect Bodybag. Any thoughts and where to buy

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Groundeffect Bodybag. Any thoughts and where to buy

Post by simonhill »

I normally use a cardboard bike box for flying. However I am thinking of a trip that may require a few flights and possibly some (packing required) rail travel. Rather than source a box for each leg, I am thinking of a lightweight folding bike bag that I can carry with me.

The Groundeffect Bodybag seems to fit my requirements. The Groundeffect Tardis also looks good, but requires more disassembly.

Two questions:

Can I buy one in the UK, or do I need to order from NZ?

Any views on the Bodybag?

I ride a mid sized 26" Surly LHT.

Thanks in advance
rualexander

Re: Groundeffect Bodybag. Any thoughts and where to buy

Post by rualexander »

You can only buy Ground Effect stuff from themselves in NZ. So you have to allow for being charged VAT on top of the advertised price, you also get stung by Royal Mail with an £8 charge to take the VAT from you.
Having said that, Ground Effect stuff is excellent.
The Body Bag is very good and will last you for years, I bought one last year now that they are slightly larger and can fit my large size touring bike. We also have an older one which is now 15 years old.
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

go to a DIY store and buy some transparent plastic for a few quid, use it until it can be used no more then buy some more. parcel tape to hold it together. in extremis use black plastic bin bags taped together. no need to buy a special bag.
pal

Post by pal »

I have a Bodybag, and like it very much: it's a bit more robust (though also bulkier...) than a plastic bag (and has carrying handles, which can be useful when lugging bikes to distant airport xray machines, etc). My (50cm frame, 700c wheels) touring bikes fit with no problems. But it's true that getting it from NZ is a pain: my experience (with VAT + additional fees) was the same as rualexander's. I wish they'd find a UK distributor!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Thanks for positive replies. Annoyingly I was in Oz a few weeks ago, could have got one then.

Martin, I'm aware of what can be done with poly bags, bubble wrap and sticky back plastic, but I want a proper bag. Firstly to avoid sourcing all that stuff each time and secondly because some airlines are getting very fussy over how your bike is wrapped, likewise Japanese railways. Finally a proper bag with shoulder strap, etc is much easier to manoeuvre than an amorphous mass of plastic. Nonetheless thanks for suggestion.

Anyone had any problem having the Groundeffect bag accepted at check in?
pal

Post by pal »

Anyone had any problem having the Groundeffect bag accepted at check in?

I've had one occasion (at Kalamata airport) where the groundeffect bag was too big to go through the x-ray machine, which caused a bit of head-scratching (but in the end they just gave it a Stern Look and waved it through...); otherwise, no problems at all: I think because it looks like a 'proper' bag, check-in staff are much less likely to quibble. (The possible downside, I suppose, is because it looks less obviously like a bike, baggage handlers are more likely to chuck it around the place: I line the bag with scavenged cardboard boxes when I can, though -- touch wood -- my bikes haven't suffered any damage even when I haven't been able to do this).
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I wasn't aware of this (resized) bag OP - thanks.

Will watch this thread with interest.

I have used the Tardis and found it excellent though I wouldn't fancy the prospect of partly disassembling a larger tourer into it I hoped to ride away on sharpish.
Sweep
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Thanks for replies, happy to have any more feedback.

A question about VAT, etc. Are you saying that in addition to the 20% charged by HMRC the Post Office charge an additional £8 for collecting it?

It might be worth getting it posted to friends in Oz and sent to me as a present (which they owe me, so not a tax dodge).
pal

Post by pal »

A question about VAT, etc. Are you saying that in addition to the 20% charged by HMRC the Post Office charge an additional £8 for collecting it?

I'm afraid so! (Info here: https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/143/~/when-you-have-a-fee-to-pay-grey-card.)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Anyone do anything similar to the ground effect bodybag? In the EU, while we have it?
Sweep
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

I've been getting stuff from Ground Effect for years (currently wearing 7 items of their clothing). Delivery is always quick and efficient, but sometimes you get stiffed by Royal Mail/Parcelforce. But even if you have to stump up for customs charges their stuff is still good value.

The only problem with the Bodybag is the length - which isn't a problem for flying but could be an issue on trains. The Tardis is a better size for train travel.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

andymiller wrote:
The only problem with the Bodybag is the length - which isn't a problem for flying but could be an issue on trains. The Tardis is a better size for train travel.

True, but nothing to stop you further dismantling the bike (which is necessary with the Tardis anyway) and tying up the loose ends of the Bodybag with some straps or tape.