Cairnryan to Ardrossan

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
cooper_coleraine

Cairnryan to Ardrossan

Post by cooper_coleraine »

For a number of years my son and I have done a tour of the Inner Hebrides and Kintyre. We crossed from Larne to Troon and then caught the ferry from Ardrosan to Broddick. The Larne to Troon ferry has been discontinued. However we want have our usual tour. WE shall cross from Larne to Cairnryan. Could anyone suggest a route from Cairnryan to Ardrossan avoiding the main road with an overnight stay about 10 to 20 Miles from Cairnryan ? Many thanks
rualexander

Re: Cairnryan to Ardrossan

Post by rualexander »

Cairnryan, minor roads via New Luce to Newton Stewart, Glentrool, Straiton, Kirkmichael, Ayr, Troon, then your normal route to Ardrossan.
Accommodation options in Newton Stewart.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I used to stop at a lovely wee cafe in Straiton. Is it still there?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Good hostel in Newton Stewart.
Stayed there on my Scottish end to end, 2 years ago.
Popped down to Mull of Galloway from there.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Haribo

Post by Haribo »

Cairnryan to Ballantrae first day. If you don't mind a few miles of landrover track, you can turn off the main road about 1 mile north of Cairnryan, just as the A77 starts to swing inland, and take back roads into Ballantrae (around 12 miles, the first half unsurfaced but decent, the 2nd half single track surfaced; and it gets you off the busy A77).

Overnight in Ballantrae, then head up to Pinwhirry>Pinmore>Barr and then join National Cycle Route 7, all the way to Ardrossan. It's a few miles longer than the main road, but take a in some nice scenery, and it's pretty much all on quiet roads.
cooper_coleraine

Thanks. The Ballantrae route will be my outward journey and the Kirkmichael , Glentrool, Newton Stewart , New Luce route will be my return route. I think the road out of Dalrymple, Gallows Hill ?,and the Straiton to Glentrool road via the Davy Bell memorial at Rowantrees are magnificent and as I think of them I know why I love cycle touring. Unfortunately the Minnigaff/Newton Stewart is no longer open to solo travellers....it is up for sale! Thanks again.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Paulatic wrote:I used to stop at a lovely wee cafe in Straiton. Is it still there?

Yes it's still there, nice wee cafe indeed.
cjs

Post by cjs »

cooper_coleraine wrote:For a number of years my son and I have done a tour of the Inner Hebrides and Kintyre. We crossed from Larne to Troon .....

Might be an alternative, but weather dependent.... http://www.kintyreexpress.com/ferry%20service.html
Kind Regards
Chris...
cooper_coleraine

Thanks for the Ballycastle departures. Very attractive but as they are subject to weather planning is difficult. In my youth I could make it up as I went along but now I am an old man I do not handle uncertainties very well.
Best wishes