Hub Dynamo

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
AaronR

Hub Dynamo

Post by AaronR »

Happy Bank Holidays!

I'm considering a hub dynamo on my Troll, but need convincing! Current lighting setup is a Cateye Rapid 3 rear, and two Cateye econo front lights - rear on its 'go nuts' setting is good, and batteries last forever, fronts are equally good, with high and low output and a very visible 'go nuts' flashing mode

Just trying to weigh up potential savings and drawbacks of weight, drag, against the simple option I currently have (and the wide availability of AA batteries) - bikes primary use is commuting, but long range touring is on the cards (in about 17.5 years when I retire, by which time bike will be like Trigger's broom)

Anyone in the Southampton area with a dynamo hub equipped bike I could try out? And any recommendations for a quality hub, standard front fork spacing, 9.5mm QR, 32 hole, 6 hole disk fitting?

Pending a happy test ride I might consider a bottle dynamo initially with some decent lights and USB charging
Sweep

Re: Hub Dynamo

Post by Sweep »

AaronR wrote:- bikes primary use is commuting, but long range touring is on the cards (in about 17.5 years when I retire, by which time bike will be like Trigger's broom)

g

Will watch this thread with interest. And I do like to see someone planning ahead :) No disrespect - my current favourite bike is a trigger's broom and just a shade over 17.5 years old. Happy hols to you to.
Sweep
PH

Post by PH »

AaronR wrote:Just trying to weigh up potential savings and drawbacks of weight, drag, against the simple option I currently have (and the wide availability of AA batteries) - bikes primary use is commuting, but long range touring is on the cards (in about 17.5 years when I retire, by which time bike will be like Trigger's broom)

There'll be an initial wedge of cash to spend, then unless you join the upgrade treadmill, nothing to pay for many thousands of miles. If you're prepared to spend that and you're not obsessed with every last watt of your input going towards moving you forwards, then there really is only one question:
Do you want the convenience of lights and/or USB charging always available whenever you're out on the bike without having to plan for it?
AaronR

Post by AaronR »

Every last watt may be more of a consideration as I get closer to retirement and having more time to get out and ride, and it would take a few years of use before I saw break even on the amount of AA batteries I currently get through

But.... if there really is little difference in the pedalling effort required I do like the constantly available light source and even if the USB output is just used to charge up a battery pack its still 'free' energy
quernon

Post by quernon »

I recently built up a wheel on a dynamo hub. Same rim and tyre as before and I honestly don't notice any appreciable drag.

For what it's worth, I got a fairly mid to low range Shimano dynamo hub for about £45. DH3N72 if memory serves, but don't quote me on that. They're often cheaper to buy from European websites that ship to the UK and I think this particular one was on sale at the time.

The USB charging comes in very handy for riding new routes as it ensures that your phone stays charged. Not having to worry about batteries for the lights is pretty handy and the B&M dynamo lights are really bright and feel very robust.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my A0001 using hovercraft full of eels.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Drag. Virtually none. You'll get more resistance to pedalling by strapping a playing card to your handlebar to act as a sail.
I say this as someone who swapped to a Dh3n72 dynohub about 2 years ago. Never looked back.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I like hub dynamos a lot, as does my wife. The real plus point is you don't have to think about lights any more: they're on the bike, they will work (almost always, the (very) odd wiring snafu to deal with but it's rare).

Given the quality and battery life of modern LED lamps it's less of an issue than it used to be, and there's nothing wrong with battery lighting... but not having to faff with taking lamps on and off when you park and not having to worry about charging the batteries is simply a great convenience.

While my tourer has a dynohub it gets comparatively little use. On a general purpose hack though, especially as far north as Dundee, always-there lighting on a general purpose utility/commuter is something I value a lot. My freight bike doesn't have dynohub lighting (Burrows single sided fork doesn't really work...) and I do miss it every time I have to faff with separate lamps.

As others have said, resistance is effectively nothing on a modern unit. Modern LED lamps running off dynamos are bright enough for everything on road short of totally unlit night-time descents where you're trying to break records.

I have SONS, mainly as when I got them when small wheels and halogen bulbs and Shimano units weren't up to it, but these days with LEDs the Shimanos are fine. My wife has one on her commute bike, it's been doing its stuff for about 10 years with minimal fuss.

In summary, it's a convenience thing. Like a lot of convenience things you can easily do without it, but if you've got used to it you do miss it when it isn't there.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
hamster

Post by hamster »

Aaron, I'm just down the road from you. I built up a wheel with XT dyno earlier this year, happy for you to give it a go. PM me!
meic

Post by meic »

AaronR wrote:Happy Bank Holidays!

I'm considering a hub dynamo on my Troll, but need convincing! Current lighting setup is a Cateye Rapid 3 rear, and two Cateye econo front lights - rear on its 'go nuts' setting is good, and batteries last forever, fronts are equally good, with high and low output and a very visible 'go nuts' flashing mode

Just trying to weigh up potential savings and drawbacks of weight, drag, against the simple option I currently have (and the wide availability of AA batteries) - bikes primary use is commuting, but long range touring is on the cards (in about 17.5 years when I retire, by which time bike will be like Trigger's broom)

Anyone in the Southampton area with a dynamo hub equipped bike I could try out? And any recommendations for a quality hub, standard front fork spacing, 9.5mm QR, 32 hole, 6 hole disk fitting?

Pending a happy test ride I might consider a bottle dynamo initially with some decent lights and USB charging

I have a dynamohub and I cant feel the difference when I turn the lights on and off, I cant tell whether I have the dynamowheel or ordinary wheel fitted. However just because I (and everybody else) can not detect any small incremental change, we can still all detect the sum of a load of these incremental changes. That incremental bit of extra drag is real and if you want to minimise drag then you can save some by using batteries instead of a dynamo.

In winter when the nights are longer and night riding is much more likely I will have a bike with a dynamohub on it ready for use. In summer I will have ordinary wheels and battery lights to minimise weight and drag. At no point can I feel the individual contribution that the dynamo makes but I can feel the difference that the whole package makes of which the dynamo is a part.
Yma o Hyd
professorcrusty

Post by professorcrusty »

I have a dynamo hub on my Surly and would always get one now. Yes, it adds a bit up front but I never have to worry about lights plus I charge my phone as I ride.
Francis
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

professorcrusty wrote:I have a dynamo hub on my Surly and would always get one now. Yes, it adds a bit up front but I never have to worry about lights plus I charge my phone as I ride.
Francis

XT Dynamo on my DT with USB. No drag, a bit of negligible weight but I don't have to worry about charge. EVER. Happy shopping...b
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:
AaronR wrote:- bikes primary use is commuting, but long range touring is on the cards (in about 17.5 years when I retire, by which time bike will be like Trigger's broom)

g

Will watch this thread with interest. And I do like to see someone planning ahead :) No disrespect - my current favourite bike is a trigger's broom and just a shade over 17.5 years old. Happy hols to you to.

well I bought my Dawes 1-Down new for a bargain price in 1999 ( 25% off) and didnt use it until 2 or so years ago, why I must have the newest looking copy that is still ridden :P
khain

Post by khain »

Do you want to use the light as a headlight or just to be seen?

If the latter, a dynamo is overkill, particularly if you're mainly commuting. Batteries for modern led lights last ages and flashing lights are much more visible. If you want a headlight a dynamo will give less light than powerful battery headlights but will never run out.

Another thing to consider is that a good dyno-hub will probably outlast a rim by some margin. So if you trash/wear out your rim you will need to rebuild the wheel. On tour this could be problematic.

I used a dyno-hub for a while and definitely noticed the drag, however, I believe newer ones have less drag. Can anyone say if they work well for charging a smartphone? How long would it take to charge? Do you need a voltage regulator or battery pack?
nichog

Post by nichog »

I am a massive convert to B&M dynamo lights - the led battery light I had been using did indeed bang out more light but a lot of it was sent where it wasn't useful and just dazzled oncoming traffic. The beauty of the B&M is the beam pattern is almost car like in its precision and so is all useful. I cycle 8 miles of my commute each way on unlit roads and the better beam pattern and no worry about battery life has made the winter much easier. As others have said, the drag is imperceptible and as the bearings are Ultegra quality in Shimano dyno hubs (they claim) the thing should last a good few years.
gobybike

Post by gobybike »

I've got the Shimano with Busch Muller led lights too - it is quite hefty, but you really don't notice any drag. The lighting is great - powerful enough to light up country lanes and tracks on tour. And unlike battery lights, you can mount an LED dynamo on the fork bridge, so it works with a handlebar bag. Best bit though is adding a Busch Muller USB-Werk, because I use electronic maps and it keeps my phone charged all day.

There's a short review here on my website that you might find useful http://gobybike.co.uk/blog/?review=Shimano-Hub-Dynamo along with similar ones of the charger and lights.