Reassurance needed: Bikes on BA flights

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
philkeeble

Reassurance needed: Bikes on BA flights

Post by philkeeble »

I phoned BA customer services and got assurance that the 'CTC Plastic Bag' was acceptable for our forthcoming flights to Zurich (It was, so long as bars were turned, pedals were removed and it was less than 190cm long ... as per their website conditions for transporting bikes). Based on that, we bought tickets and booked accommodation and return ferry tickets from Amsterdam for our forthcoming Rhine cycleway tour in June. We are therefore committed!
Having read some advice on another forum to get written confirmation in case of resistance from check-in staff, I emailed BA. They just quoted 'recognised cycle bag' but added a further condition that it had to be no bigger than 190x75x65 cm. I replied that my bike stands 105cm at the stem, my wife's 85cm, and that I hadn't owned a bike less than 75cm high since I was 8 years old. I have also checked the pukka bike boxes on Wiggle and can't find one that is less than 75cm high!
I think I have been told total nonsense, but I would dearly like to hear of (hopefully positive) experiences of others who have taken their bikes on BA flights. Right now I wish I'd booked SAS via Copenhagen!

Cheers
Phil (Aberdeenshire)
Vorpal

Re: Reassurance needed: Bikes on BA flights

Post by Vorpal »

I have flown several times with BA with my bike in a CTC bag.

I followed their instructions for preparation, and have had nothing but good service from them. I wrote a review of one experience in 2012 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=63298&hilit=british+airways

If they sent you an email with regard to the CTC bag, it's probably worth taking a printed copy with you.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
irc

Post by irc »

Not with a bag but I've flown BA several times with my bike in a full size cardboard box, a 60cm frame with the rear wheel still in place. Far higher than 75cm.
amorphous

Post by amorphous »

BA are the only airline I feel total confidence in with a bike - anything goes, they don't measure, weigh, or have anything to say about packaging methods, at least in my experience (12 flights so far - 3 for Glasgow, which I guess is as similar to Aberdeen as you can get!)
I reckon you'd probably be able to check in with a moped if you wanted!

Don't sweat it!
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

I sought similar assurance from BA and posted the query below using their on-line form, but got no answer. :(

I'm flying Gatwick to Genoa one-way so will most likely pack the bike in a cardboard bike box obtained from my LBS although I'm happy to use a CTC poly bag too if it comes to it.
Attachments
BA.jpg
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

tis 5 years ago but absolutely no issues with BA, we did pack our bikes in boxes obtained from local bike shop and we weren't intending to fly back so just dumped the boxes. As we went into the check area a rep who was assisting sorting the queues spotted us, ushered us to a check in, asked what the boxes weighed, (18kg) no attempt to weigh them, and ensured we had tickets and the boxed bikes were labellled and delivered to the right collection place......

Highly recommended.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
53x13

Post by 53x13 »

It's boxes weighing over 25kg they take issue with. An average bike box weighs about 6kg, so as long as you're bike isn't made of lead... :lol:
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

They were v helpful with me 3 years back in Nice. They actually provided the poly bag and the brown tape themselves. It's a pity their webpage writing person doesn't fully reflect that on-the-ground helpfulness though. SAS are so much clearer & simpler in their instructions, those classy Nords! Top marks:
If you check in your bike without a bike carry case, turn the handlebars a quarter-turn, remove the pedals & reduce the tire pressure or deflate them entirely. We also recommend covering the chain.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Used them a month ago LHR to Amsterdam with my son. All fine, very helpful, bikes were waiting by the time I got through immigration in the UK.
Rich_Clements

Post by Rich_Clements »

Gatwick to Naples and back 2 weeks ago with BA and no issues although that was with a bike box
Rich
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

A tale to tell:
> Two of us flew BA from Gatwick to Genoa, Italy on 30Jun16 for a 1000 mile cycle camping trip back to the UK
> My bike was in a standard cardboard bike box obtained from my LBS (necessitating front wheel and pedal removal, handlebars turned etc)
> My friend also had a cardboard bike box supplied by Wiggle from an earlier bike purchase - his box was much bigger due to his new bike being supplied by Wiggle virtually fully assembled
> We searched the BA website to find the max dimensions for a bike box - all we could find was a max length of 190cm - nothing about width or depth
> At the BA check-in desk it was deemed the Wiggle box was too big, so with the aid of very helpful BA staff, the box was reduced to the same size as mine (which was of a size suitable for the baggage handling system) and my friend's bike front wheel removed, saddle lowered etc etc
SO FAR SO GOOD
> Arrived at Genoa - his bike and our luggage all present and correct but my bike was............WHERE?
> It transpired that it was still in Gatwick - a worrying 24hrs ensued but I am pleased to say my bike did arrive safely the next day - phew
> A couple of points to note
(1) - whilst my bike didn't arrive when it should have done and I was waiting forlornly at the carousel for it to appear, two other pieces of baggage were left unclaimed - clearly the bags were meant for some unlucky passengers elsewhere :?
(2) - whilst I joyfully retrieved my bike the next day, 4 passengers from the same BA Gatwich to Genoa flight were queuing up to report that there bags had not arrived with them

Now, the lost bags are down to the baggage handling systems in Gatwick, not BA themselves, who I must say were as helpful as possible in chasing up my lost bike.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
irc

Post by irc »

bikes4two wrote:> At the BA check-in desk it was deemed the Wiggle box was too big, so with the aid of very helpful BA staff, the box was reduced to the same size as mine (which was of a size suitable for the baggage handling system) and my friend's bike front wheel removed, saddle lowered etc etc

In fairness to BA it must have been a huge box with both wheels were still on. I've flow with my 60cm tourer boxed with the rear wheel and rack still in place and the forks left on as well. But the front wheel, saddle, seatpost, pedals, and bars were removed to get it to fit the box. Wheels on it would be another foot or more longer and higher.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Used a big padded zipped cycle bag recently with no trouble. Are you planning to pack it with wheels on?

This was what I used - definitely bigger than your info. Used a pair of these with 2 bikes, LHR T5 to Amsterdam return in April.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/chai ... prod106851
longhaultrucking

Post by longhaultrucking »

I'm flying to MX from Healthrow with BA in September. I have also been a bit worried about the CTC plastic bag so I contacted BA. They said it would be fine but I'd have to sign a waiver agreeing that nobody will be responsible for damages if I choose to use this method. I'll update back - wish me luck!