Has Anyone Toured With a Guitar?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
khain

Has Anyone Toured With a Guitar?

Post by khain »

I've been thinking about taking my acoustic guitar on tours for a while but although it only weighs about 1.5kg it's far from an easy shape to carry. A trailer would probably be the easiest way but I don't really fancy one.

Has anyone managed to carry a guitar on tour and if so how?
BTP

Re: Has Anyone Toured With a Guitar?

Post by BTP »

khain wrote:I've been thinking about taking my acoustic guitar on tours for a while but although it only weighs about 1.5kg it's far from an easy shape to carry. A trailer would probably be the easiest way but I don't really fancy one.

Touring with mysical instruments can be problematic. Guitars are sensitive to moisture and woods can warp in the heat. Acoustics are light enough to be carried on your back in a soft shell case but unless they are parlour or 3/4 size (eg Taylor GS Mini) they are still liable to be a hazard when you cycle under a low bridge/branches or when a breeze gets up.

A uke might be an easier option (if you don't mind 4 instead of 6 strings!)

Cheers

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-N910G using hovercraft full of eels.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cello Joe is a cellist who tours all over the USA with his bike & cello. He also carries a pedal powered sound system for concerts. http://www.cellojoe.com/p/videos_22.html

I've met people backpacking with guitars, so I don't see why not :)

I think Cello Joe carries his cello on a rear rack. I expect that he has put a pannier rack attachment system on a cello case.

Some of the folk who do the Bicycle Music Fest use trailers.

And there's viewtopic.php?f=16&t=91202
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

You could get a metal worker to make a holder that attaches to one side of your rear rack. Your guitar would fit into it vertically with neck up. It would reduce your luggage carrying capacity, may present a balance problem and would be subject to wind.

Waterproofing may be a problem. The better the case the heavier it will probably be.

I often see backpackers with guitars, they seem to do a lot more carrying than playing. Why bother.
molzor

Post by molzor »

A friend of mine moved house by bike and carried his guitar on a trailer all the way from bulgaria to portugal!
wheel71

Post by wheel71 »

I've been contemplating taking my "tenor banjo" away with me. I'd love to have it but is it worth the extra hassle of having another valued item to look after?
Maybee learning the tin whistle is a more sensible idea.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

wheel71 wrote:I've been contemplating taking my "tenor banjo" away with me. I'd love to have it but is it worth the extra hassle of having another valued item to look after?
Maybee learning the tin whistle is a more sensible idea.

Tin whistles are great. I always take mine away with me. They are cheap, not affected by weather/damp, pack away easily (I have one that splits in two for extra portability) and don't need tuning.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

A plastic ocarina is also good - less vulnerable to being bent or squashed, and also less piercing. It fits in a jersey pocket so you could tootle away at red traffic lights. :D
khain

Post by khain »

I'm impressed by Cello Joe. If he can manage a cello I'm sure a guitar is do-able.

I certainly wouldn't fancy taking a quality instrument though. I'm thinking more of a cheap guitar, possibly 3/4 size. Cover it with a bin bag to keep it dry. Carrying it on my back is out. I was thinking about just putting it on top of the rack with the neck pointing back and down.

Penny whistles sound crap so that's a non-starter.
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

I met Joe on the World Naked Bike RIde in Brighton a few years ago. He was with the "Pleasant Revolution" that all had Surly Big Dummys carrying their instruments. it was amazing. We all ended up on Brighton beach pedalling to make juice for them to play.

http://www.pleasantrevolution.net/

I found this for carrying a guitar on a bike. Needs a good welder but I think if taking a guitar on tour is important to you then this is definitely worth a look :

http://www.theadventurejunkies.com/carr ... e-touring/
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I wonder if the Dutch have something available off the peg? A Dutch friend told me there is an attachment which will hold a cello on one side of the rear carrier.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

khain wrote:I've been thinking about taking my acoustic guitar on tours for a while but although it only weighs about 1.5kg it's far from an easy shape to carry. A trailer would probably be the easiest way but I don't really fancy one.

I think you've answered your own question really: if taking a guitar on tour was important enough to you the trailer wouldn't be an issue.
53x13

Post by 53x13 »

I've seen quite a few people touring Europe with a ukulele or a mandolin, but never a guitar!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

LollyKat wrote:I wonder if the Dutch have something available off the peg? A Dutch friend told me there is an attachment which will hold a cello on one side of the rear carrier.

If you can find out more about that, I would love to know. My son & I both play cello. I can get one cello in the bike trailer, but not two!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I saw it once, when watching the European Broadcasting Union Young Musicians competition. In 1986 there was a cellist called Jan-Erik Gustafsson from Finland who came third. Each broadcast performance was preceded by a short biographical clip; in it he was shown getting on his bike, with his cello, and setting off to his lesson. There was snow on the ground... :shock:

The cello was upright and seemed to be supported on a little step at the bottom of the carrier. I don't remember if there was also a bungy, but he put the strap of the case over his shoulder. It looked as if the carrier took most of the weight, and he seemed quite comfortable. When I mentioned this to my Dutch pal (a pro violinist) he said casually that they had such carriers in NL. However that's 30 years ago and I can't find any pictures. Next time I see him I'll ask.

Of course it's much easier if you stick to the violin like I do!!!