Has Anyone Toured With a Guitar?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Vorpal

Re: Has Anyone Toured With a Guitar?

Post by Vorpal »

LollyKat wrote:Of course it's much easier if you stick to the violin like I do!!!

There have been many times that I wished I had picked a smaller instrument, but I love the cello, and I can always console myslef that it's not a bass. Or a harp!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

I had two young Canadians stay with me (Warmshowers). One had a ukelele and the other had a guitar (smaller size for travelling).

Here they are playing in my back garden

phil parker

Post by phil parker »

Farawayvisions wrote:I had two young Canadians stay with me (Warmshowers). One had a ukelele and the other had a guitar (smaller size for travelling).

Here they are playing in my back garden

I have one of those guitars, Martin Backpacker, but found it very difficult to play unsupported and got a friend to make some 'wings' for it, de/attachable by Velcro. Eventually, I didn't think the smaller scale size was with the effort and went with a Soloette nylon strung guitar, which would be simple enough to travel with by bike, with some adaptions to the carrying method - although only good for practise and not performance unless you have access to an amplifier!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Yep. Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton,Pete Townsend, B. B. King - loads of people really......... :wink:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

LollyKat wrote:I wonder if the Dutch have something available off the peg? A Dutch friend told me there is an attachment which will hold a cello on one side of the rear carrier.

I've not found that but did find http://www.fiedler-cases.de/en/fiedler-backpack-system/ which isn't cheap.

I'm sure I've answered this question on another forum recently. Is this the same requester?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I've not toured but I have successfully transported an electric guitar strapped on top of a Carry Freedom City trailer, with associated gubbins stored in the bag underneath. I've also transported it strapped to one side of myCirce Helios tandem, with the cargo rack (mk 1) instead of the stoker seat (a la Surly Big Dummy) with stuff in panniers on the other side. Both options worked OK, the solo & trailer being the slightly lighter option and felt more "normal" bike handling wise.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

A car boot, pocket money Ukulele might be more practical? And if you play guitar, you should adapt within about 10 mins

I find the uke can go from 'London Calling' to 'Ain't she Sweet' without too much problem - versatile and light.
phil parker

Post by phil parker »