Ridgeway - Avebury to Uffington

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
foxyrider

Ridgeway - Avebury to Uffington

Post by foxyrider »

Has anyone ridden this? It's suggested to be okay for mtbs but maybe a bit dodgy for 'tourers', i'm thinking about doing it on my cross/tourer - is it really that bad?

Cheers
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Phil66

Re: Ridgeway - Avebury to Uffington

Post by Phil66 »

I'm in Newbury and so know the western end of this, say from Goring to Uffington. At the moment its okay and was heading that way this morning on the MTB. It does get mucky, but you'd need heck of a down pour now to make it unusable. It is rough and deeply rutted in places though, I've got a Specialized Cross and I'm not sure I'd want to do much of it on that.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well it aint a cycle track thats to be sure. I have only done the bit up the whitehorse/castle from what used to be the Ridgeway YHA ( Wantage ) on my Dawes 1-Down. Not sure I would like to do it on a 700c wheeled bike. In the end I walked it. Horrible. I believe it is one of the few tracks that permit vehicles so it is not a nice surface? not much fun for the bit I did. But you live and learn.... :shock:
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

So Mercalia, small wheels would be better than big? I'm pretty sure big wheels are better on rough surfaces - that's my experience at least.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I've ridden Wantage to Avebury on a Thorn Audax (28 mm Gatorskins) with no real problems, in dry conditions.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I rode it 25 years ago and I'm sure much has changed, but not the geology or geography. It was June and I don't remember it being a particularly wet year. I expected dry tracks as it was chalk.

Most was OK, but there were a few short stretches with deep muddy/slime pools. These were usually in places eg small gullies, that you couldn't get round. Some were almost axle deep. Of course just one of these mean you get dirty. I think these were mainly on the first day from the Avebury end.

I remember seeing some banker tearing around in an old Land Rover, splashing through these puddles and obviously making them worse. I assumed he was a green off roader, but as I got closer I realised he was a farmer. So much for guardians of the land.

Overall a good multi day ride, I particularly liked Waylan Smithy very spooky.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

foxyrider wrote:So Mercalia, small wheels would be better than big? I'm pretty sure big wheels are better on rough surfaces - that's my experience at least.

It's fatter tyres that make rough surfaces easier, mostly. I suspect mercalia is equating 700c with 23 or 25 mm tyres.
Big wheels are better, but small would only start to be difficult when you get down to 20" or so.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

simonhill wrote:Most was OK, but there were a few short stretches with deep muddy/slime pools. These were usually in places eg small gullies, that you couldn't get round. Some were almost axle deep. Of course just one of these mean you get dirty. I think these were mainly on the first day from the Avebury end.

The Avebury end is mostly pretty good these days. 4x4 access is seasonal, apart from farmers, and it had been restored to almost a reasonable cycle track the last time I used it (from Uffcott/Barbury Castle southwards).
diggers

Post by diggers »

Just did this as a 2 day bikepacking ride a few weeks ago ( and then back to Avebury on bridle ways) . Great ride but definitely mtb territory. Rutted tracks and muddy in spots. Have a great time!