Provence with an 8 year old.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
100%JR

Provence with an 8 year old.

Post by 100%JR »

Sorry if this has been covered before but this is more child specific.
We're staying in Regusse Provence in August and I'm looking at routes suitable for my 8 year old.
I've plotted a 30 mile(48km) route from Regusse to Baudinard-Sur-Verdon to Aups to Montmeyan to Regusse that looks OK but I'm not 100% sure on the profile.
The idea would be a lunch stop in Aups(about half way around) and on paper it looks like he'll be OK.
As said he's 8,rides a Frog 67 CX(24") wheels and is road trained/confident.The distance is not a problem as he can easily do 30 miles(48km) and he's a great little climber so as the elevation looks similar to what we'd do here that also looks OK but I realise in August it can be very hot(32+).

I will obviously take all precautions any responsible parent would with a child abroad but welcome any advice on the roads/conditions etc.
He's itching to ride over there and if necessary I'll plot shorter routes(15-20miles) so if anyone has ridden there your input will be very much appreciated.
We're not far from the Gorges du Verdon so I also have a ride or two planned for me.I've heard very good things about the Routes des Cretes from La Pilaud-Sur-Verdon 8)
100%JR

Re: Provence with an 8 year old.

Post by 100%JR »

One week away and can't wait.I've found a few reviews/suggestions online and the whole area looks to be perfect riding country.He's now mastered skinny tyres and SPDs so we're good to go.
From the videos of the Route des Cretes I've seen it looks stunning 8)
We've extended our stay from 7 to 10 nights so more riding :mrgreen:
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Sounds good to me. The gorges of verdun route is lovely (but busy) and the whole area is fabulous cycling and food. You know your kid best- mine (well, mostly one of them) get stroppy at too much climbing and that restricts us and as you know you have to gauge your route to the weakest in the group so if he's up for it you should do well. Early mornings/ evening cycling if it's seriously hot rather than lunchtime would be my preference. If it all gets too much heat wise get the number for the local taxi firm to recover you both (if you have it with you you'll never need it).
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

It will definitely be early or late riding with him.
His mum wil be our support car driver if needed!She'll be tracking us via Strava so will know where we are if need be.
Plenty of Cafe stops to take in fluids,food and culture!
I shan't take him on the Route des Cretes(I'll do that alone) as that might be a bit too lumpy and far too busy at this stage but will instead base our routes around Regusse/Aups where we're staying.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Well we had 10 fantastic days in Regusse,Provence.The area really is quite beautiful.I managed to get three rides in,one solo and two with my son.I rode a stunning 75km through the Plateau de Valensole(unfortunately a few weeks late as the Lavender had been cut) and down to Lac de Sainte-Crois(stunning!!) and the lad and I did a 45km loop south of Regusse to Sillans la Cascade and Aups and a 30km over to Baudinard-sur-Verdon 8) Considering the heat and elevation he did really well and absolutely loved it 8)
Unfortunately disaster struck on what would have been our third ride.Due to a miscommunication and a bit of bad luck he had a (slow speed) crash resulting in a badly broken left forearm :| After a 50km Ambulance ride to Draguignan,Surgery and an overnight stay in Hospital he was released around midday the next day.......his Mums 40th Birthday!
There was a good chance that he would need further Surgery to insert a Rod through the bone but he's had two further X-rays and the Consultant is happy it's healing well enough on it's own.
He was supposed to do his first Sportive last Sunday and his first Triathlon on 28th but will now miss these.
I didn't get to Ride the Routes Des Cretes but we drove it and had lunch in a great little village called Palud-sur-Verdon.We're going back next year and I'll(or we'll) definitely be riding it then!

Some before and after shots.

Back in blighty and a slightly better cast!

TBH I can't fault the French Medical staff.From arrival at A&E to Surgery was 90mins and would have been sooner but they had to wait until 6 hours had passed since he last ate.
He'll have to have a further 6 weeks of no Sports after the cast is removed,so 12 weeks in total and he's gutted.On top of his cycling he'll also miss his Taekwondo Brown Belt grading and two competitions.12 weeks is a long time to an 8 year old!
matt@theforce

Post by matt@theforce »

A fellow HCC rider, hope your son is recovering well.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

matt@theforce wrote:A fellow HCC rider, hope your son is recovering well.

He has the cast off tomorrow cheers.
He just wants to get back on his bike!
matt@theforce

Post by matt@theforce »

How did your son get on yesterday?
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Cast is off and it's healing fine.He still has to wait 6 weeks before he can get back on the bike or do Taekwondo,play football etc.Going to be difficult to stop him running around now it's off!