North Coast 500 next year...

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Peejay56

North Coast 500 next year...

Post by Peejay56 »

Hi Everyone,
I'm in the initial stages of planning this ride for May 2017 staying in B and B's. I'll be basically following the route from the NC500 website - I've no issues riding on busy roads like the A9, I'm used to it and have ridden the A9 from Inverness to JOG in 2014.

Just a few questions for fellow CTC members who have ridden or live in the west and north side of this route.

1. Is May classed a a busy or peak time, particularly for accommodation?

2. Any comments/recommendations for any B and B's you may have stayed in.

3. I assume the weather can go from sun to snow in May? Or is May pretty OK?

Thanks,

Pete.
rualexander

Re: North Coast 500 next year...

Post by rualexander »

May is probably the best month to do this.
But, the week when the English schools are on holiday (last week of May?) is quite busy.
Weather generally good in May but anything is possible, snow unlikely though at road level.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Possibly depends when in May! I've been up around Ullapool in early May lots of times and had some pretty heavy snow falls, but other years have been plastering on the sun block for the same week. It can also be pretty windy! Good news is that you are unlikely to have problems with midges. Most things seem to be open from the start of May and are probably not too busy outside of school holidays.
Fraoch Mor

Post by Fraoch Mor »

May/June usually has better weather but we often have a northerly airstream rather than the prevailing south westerlies so bear that in mind when planning the route. More information on the official NC500 website where I have written two NC500 cycling blogs so far; June 2016 giving road safety advice about level crossings and single track roads and August 2016 about the cycle shops and repair options on the route with some tips about the Bealach na Ba...and the next one will be detail a cyclist's NC500 route avoiding the A9. Hope this information will be useful to you! Please share to let it be more widely known that this information is out there and readily available to anyone thinking about cycling the NC500 or anywhere in the North Highlands. Thanks.
Fraoch Mor

Post by Fraoch Mor »

PS - May Bank Holiday week was seriously busy here on the west coast this year ... but the weather was glorious!! (when I say seriously busy, I speak as someone who is used to cycling on quiet Highland roads where you can go for miles and only see a few other vehicles, so 'seriously busy' to me may be quite acceptable to others!).
Peejay56

Post by Peejay56 »

Thanks everyone - excellent information - certainly the blogs on the NC 500 website.

Planning to start from Inverness on Monday 15th May - so hopefully everything will have calmed down a bit from the bank holiday and the weather will be kind.

Pete.
kbrembo

Post by kbrembo »

Living local I have captured some NC500 Highlights...enjoy your trip!

[youtube]RQLShN28c0E[/youtube]
OldBagman

Wild Camp & Cycle NC 500

Post by OldBagman »

Hi, 2 of us are riding the NC500 in the first week of April. The plan is to complete it in 7 days, giving time to enjoy the view hopefully. We're going to wild camp, and I'm trying to plan a route that enables us to carry minimum supplies and buy and eat breakfast and dinner close to o/n stops. Hundreds must have done this already so grateful for any pointers/itneraries/tips. I've walked and climbed in the NW and W a lot so aware of the type of countryside we're travelling in, but then I didn't mind carrying my food and a cooker on my back - I don't want it on my bike whilst climbing towards Applecross!
Paulatic

Re: Wild Camp & Cycle NC 500

Post by Paulatic »

OldBagman wrote:Hi, 2 of us are riding the NC500 in the first week of April. The plan is to complete it in 7 days, giving time to enjoy the view hopefully. We're going to wild camp, and I'm trying to plan a route that enables us to carry minimum supplies and buy and eat breakfast and dinner close to o/n stops. Hundreds must have done this already so grateful for any pointers/itneraries/tips. I've walked and climbed in the NW and W a lot so aware of the type of countryside we're travelling in, but then I didn't mind carrying my food and a cooker on my back - I don't want it on my bike whilst climbing towards Applecross!

Hi and welcome to the forum.
My mind boggles, I suppose from that you are going to walk beside the bike or leave it at the bottom?
The equipment will be carried on the bike even if it's on your back will it not?
Personally I like all the weight on the bike and absolutely nothing in my back.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
khain

Post by khain »

kbrembo wrote:Living local I have captured some NC500 Highlights...enjoy your trip!

Isn't the idea here to do it on a bike rather than a helicopter?
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I did it in the second may Bank holiday in 2016, and had very good weather