First big tour coming up - what have we overlooked?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Psamathe

Re: First big tour coming up - what have we overlooked?

Post by Psamathe »

When I lived in France (several years ago now) small Post Offices sold boxes to post things in (so you didn't have to hunt around for a box ...). Thus if you take that expensive really warm heavy bulky sweater you really love and find in 30°C you don't need it and don't want to throw it away nor carry it, try a local Post Office and post it home.

Ian
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

Vorpal wrote:
Morzedec wrote:why they don't put an 'E' or 'W' direction on them always annoys me

Maybe you mean 'E' or 'O' ? ;)

Chapeau!
E or W makes sense, because the many Dutch and American cyclists prefer English to French.
If they put camp site directions onto the signs as well, that might also help.
I'm back in France next week, and my route from Roscoff to Limoges is: Turn left at Nantes, Right at Chinon, and there you are.
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

mjr wrote:
Morzedec wrote:Watch out for the tourists on hire bikes, riding 10 km a day and not looking where they are going. (look, I'm a cyclist, dwarling).

And how can you tell how far they're riding? Do you stalk them for 20km to be sure they're not riding 10km before overtaking? :roll:

Some of the most dangerous cyclists are the head-down/bum-up brigade barrelling through crowds - you can generally recognise them by what's on their heads, if you know what I mean ;-)

Spot the hire bikes, poor clothing, red shoulders, chattering, nil miles per hour, etc. Head down bum up on the L a V route? Impossible, it deviates so much that they would never get speed up!

I just don't know, trying to help someone and being taken to task. I'll be on the L a V myself in a week, so will practice my own preaching.

regards,
ossie

Post by ossie »

I had no issues with fellow cyclists of all creeds down EV6.

It gets busy on a Sunday in sections close to towns but pedestrians and dog walkers are probably more of a hazard on cycle paths than cyclists as its a shared resource. That aside vast lengths of EV6 are on roads..

The signed route isnt always ideal and they actually route you away from some of the most scenic parts for fear of mixing you up with heavy traffic. I often ignored the EV 6 signs that took you away from the river and continued on the road adjacent to the river where the traffic always treated you with respect and you are rewarded with great scenery.