cheap,large seat bag!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
zig02

cheap,large seat bag!

Post by zig02 »

Hi,

I'm looking for a large seat pack for some light touring........something like a Carradice longflap but without the price tags that comes with the issue of buying the bracket as well!

I Have toured using panniers but looking to go with the better half on a one nighter:)

Any recommendations (or one going cheap) Would be gratefully received:)

Thanks

Zig
james01

Re: cheap,large seat bag!

Post by james01 »

http://spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b5s73p2256

This Carradice claims 7 litres capacity, it's cheap, but maybe a bit smaller than you were looking for.
zig02

Post by zig02 »

Really like the look of the longflap style:)
Si

Post by Si »

If you want big capacity and cheap price, but aren't too worried about easy access then just use a large dry bag with a bit of wood bag tied to the saddle rails to make a hanger that the compression straps can go around and a bungy to stop it bouncing.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Si wrote:If you want big capacity and cheap price, but aren't too worried about easy access then just use a large dry bag with a bit of wood bag tied to the saddle rails to make a hanger that the compression straps can go around and a bungy to stop it bouncing.

I've tried that but it does wag or foul the backs of your thighs rather easily IMO.

I have used http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231359124016 with a compression strap through a plastic pipe under the flap and through the rails and two compression straps at right angles to that, under and over the bag and through the rails. It's fiddly to keep it balanced enough not to tilt, so the bag more often sits with its front sideways on top of the rear rack, or strapped to the front of the handlebars with the two straps. A waterproof cover from a short-lived bag lives in a side pocket (with my thin waterproof usually in the other), but I think it's OK in short/light showers.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

You have panniers, why buy anything else, especially something that does the job less well. It is permissable to not fill panniers or even, shock horror, just use one.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
zig02

Post by zig02 »

Would like something that i don't have to faff about with and also take the lightweight road bike!
mjr

Post by mjr »

zig02 wrote:Would like something that i don't have to faff about with and also take the lightweight road bike!

After decades of fiddling, I think apart from bucket-bag-panniers, all bike luggage is faff to some degree. (Edit: and actually, on second thoughts, even bucket-bag-panniers have their faffiness, mainly around strapping them onto the rear rack. I put up with that because they're dead simple to load and 36 litres carries more than I want for a week away.)

"Solutions" like Carradice or Apidura are probably the least-faff lightweight solutions but you pay for that. Similar-but-cheaper options like Si's drybag or my haversack are more faffy but I think still worth doing sometimes... but remember: if there was a cheap, lightweight, capacious low-faff option, I think we'd all be using it and Carradice or Apidura wouldn't be selling much! :lol:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

You don't necessarily need a separate frame with a Carradice saddle bag especially the smaller ones like the barley or Super C audax. you might get a bit of leg slap, but you space it out from the seat post with a piece of cork . I use a super c audax fitted to the saddle loop and the third strap replaced with shoe lace tide to the rack mount just to hold it away from the seat post.
NUKe

Post by zig02 »

Think the Carradice Longflap is winning the race to be honest!
trilathon

Post by trilathon »

I only just manage with a Camper for short uns.

there are some used ones on ebay atm
Searching for, and camping in, places of antiquity and wild beauty. Former ironman, 3PCX, Rough Stuff Fellowship, fell runner, regional time trial champion and 20 odd years of cyclo camping around Europe.
3spd

Post by 3spd »

Could look at bikepacking set ups like these.....
https://www.alpkit.com/bike-luggage ..... other makes are available.
My worse day on my bike is better than my best day at work!