VIDEO, GoPro: one of the most scenic mountain roads in Europe: La Palma, Roque de los Muchachos, 2426m

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
gyorgyigabor

VIDEO, GoPro: one of the most scenic mountain roads in Europe: La Palma, Roque de los Muchachos, 2426m

Post by gyorgyigabor »

La Palma is the steepest island of the World; its highest peak is 2426 m high: Roque de los Muchachos.
Its eastern ascent starts at oceanlevel.
I climbed it twice: once its eastern, once its western side. I recorded GoPro video on its descents: it shows stunning scenery, views to the volcano, caldera, onto the clouds above the ocean, etc...
The video shows a part of why La Palma is called: la isla bonita = beautiful island. It's my favourite place, amazing and quiet place; it's for nature and landscape and climbs' lovers ! :)
Thanks for watching and hope You like it :)
and thanks for your opinion in advance !
Gábor
http://www.facebook.com/cycling.high

[youtube]m6APrQ3uzFI[/youtube]
jags

Re: VIDEO, GoPro: one of the most scenic mountain roads in Europe: La Palma, Roque de los Muchachos, 2426m

Post by jags »

wow u lucky devil , brilliant video.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: VIDEO, GoPro: one of the most scenic mountain roads in Europe: La Palma, Roque de los Muchachos, 2426m

Post by Mick F »

Excellent video.
Stunning!
Thanks! :D

Can I just say, that although the descents make the better movie, the ascents are more fun and more of an achievement.
Going downhill is all about freewheeling and enjoying the free ride, but climbing is all about cycling and turning the cranks.
Boring to watch on screen though! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

Thanks I enjoyed that, could you tell us a little more about the equipment you used with your GoPro? I think I may have to buy one. Things have come on a lot since I used to make skydiving videos, you can now edit as well on a Phone as the equipment I used.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

La Palma is the steepest island of the World

What does that mean? Sounds like something a tourist board invented.

To take an example, Chagulak in the Aleutians is only 1142m high, but it is only 3km across, which I think makes it a lot steeper than La Palma, because that must be about 20km across in the area where the tall mountain is. I'm not going to give silly examples like sea stacks, but here are some other examples of more serious islands which I'm guessing might be steeper, depending quite how you measure it. Of course in general there aren't going to be roads to the top.

Maui in Hawaii is 3055m high and the island is about the same size as La Palma
Fogo in the Cape Verde islands is 2829m, and is only about 60% the size of La Palma.
Tristan da Cunha is only 2062m, but it only about 1/6 the size of La Palma.
Smith Island in the South Shetlands is 2105m, and a bit larger than TdC, but it is a long thin island with peninsulars - it really sticks up like a wall from the sea.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Rockall?
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (6.23 KiB) Viewed 596 times
Mick F. Cornwall
dodger

Post by dodger »

What a super video. My idea of fun cycling; a bit like downhill skiing.
Let a machine do the work getting you to the top then cruise down again - several times.
Yes, you feel you deserve the down after labouring on the up, but why not take the chance to go down more than once?
Great stuff.