Edinburgh airport to Edinburgh railway station

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
matt2matt2002

Edinburgh airport to Edinburgh railway station

Post by matt2matt2002 »

I'm flying in to Edinburgh airport in a few days with my bike.
I have a train to catch from Waverley Street and wonder what the best choice of route is?
I will reassemble by bike at the airport and then ride to the station.
I land at 3 pm and my train leaves at 7 pm.
Time enough?

Is the tram an option?
Last year bikes were not allowed on the trams during the Festival.

Thanks folks.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
LollyKat

Re: Edinburgh airport to Edinburgh railway station

Post by LollyKat »

Cyclestreets Edinburgh offers two routes to Waverley: the quieter one is 12 1/2 miles, the faster one is 10 miles. If you are catching a train to Aberdeen you could get it at Haymarket, which would save you a mile or two.

Bikes are now allowed on trams outside peak hours but you may not make it in time if you have to spend time assembling the bike.
Cyclists can be take their bicycles on Edinburgh Trams seven days a week (except from week day peak travel hours 0730 - 0930 & 1600-1830).

Bicycles will not be permitted during the Edinburgh Festival, 7–31 August or during other pre-publicised special events where there may be a greater demand for travel.

Passengers with disabilities, or those with prams or buggies, will take priority over bicycles. Tram staff will have the discretion to decline bicycles if services are busy.

Only two bicycles can be carried per tram. Cyclists should stand at the centre section, marked on the platform by a disabled logo tile, and take guidance from staff.

Cyclists remain with their bicycles at all times.

Hope this helps