Base for touring in France

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bobzeller

Base for touring in France

Post by bobzeller »

My wife (who is not a cyclist) and I (who is) are thinking of renting a house somewhere in France for a month or more next year. Over the past few years, I have toured extensively in Normandy, Brittany and the Pas de Calais but haven't been elsewhere for some time. I would be grateful for advice as to areas we should consider, We need a small town close by and reasonably flat cycling for me due to both a new knee and increasing age. The area should be varied and interesting from a cycling point of view as I would expect to be out and about on day rides just about every day. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Bob
al_yrpal

Re: Base for touring in France

Post by al_yrpal »

Fleurance west of Toulouse. Pretty flat.France's capital of slow food. Where the French stargazers go (lack of street lighting). Nearby, Auch, Condom, Gascony wines are great. Wogan loved it.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
bobzeller

Post by bobzeller »

Thanks very much. I'll do some homework.

Cheers
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

I recently got back from a ride through Alsace. There is a lot to see in this area including plenty of pretty towns and good stretches of riding through vineyards, although there are one or two hills. Nothing too serious though I would say. For larger places you could take a trip to Strasbourg or Mulhouse or even pop into Switzerland and visit Basel.

Plenty of choice about where to stay, too. Perhaps Colmar or maybe even Obernai which is less touristy? These are small enough to be reasonably quiet but still large enough to have a selection of shops and restaurants.
bobzeller

Post by bobzeller »

Thanks. I'll give it a look.

Cheers
further

Post by further »

Hi
I can recommend the Il de re very flat loads of cycle lanes
http://www.holidays-iledere.co.uk/ile-d ... t-your-car
Chris
Therealsouthstander

Post by Therealsouthstander »

bohrsatom wrote:I recently got back from a ride through Alsace. There is a lot to see in this area including plenty of pretty towns and good stretches of riding through vineyards, although there are one or two hills. Nothing too serious though I would say. For larger places you could take a trip to Strasbourg or Mulhouse or even pop into Switzerland and visit Basel.

Plenty of choice about where to stay, too. Perhaps Colmar or maybe even Obernai which is less touristy? These are small enough to be reasonably quiet but still large enough to have a selection of shops and restaurants.

Yip I 2nd Alsace - great place to tour with side trips to Luxemburg,Switerland and Germany which are close.

Really liked Freburg, Colmar,Basle,Strasburg.. Metz and Luxemburg city are also worth a visit along with the many wonderful villages ,especially in France..
bobzeller

Post by bobzeller »

Again, thanks for the advice. I'm grateful because renting a house means having to stay in that area for the entire time, even if the choice wasn't so good. Can't just move on.

Cheers

Bob
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

bobzeller wrote:Again, thanks for the advice. I'm grateful because renting a house means having to stay in that area for the entire time..

Does it? Get a place near somewhere with decent rail connections and there's nothing to stop you taking the train and riding back.
bobzeller

Post by bobzeller »

Good idea! Many thanks

Bob