Shetland on Tri-1 folding trike

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PAB855

Shetland on Tri-1 folding trike

Post by PAB855 »

We are looking for advice from experienced cycle tourists who can appreciate our particular requirements. We are in our late 70s and regularly ride with a group on easy, smooth, friendly cambered cycle paths. We have, however some experience of riding on quieter roads and have taken part in two Pedal for Scotland wee jaunts, ( 10 miles) and the Kingussie Bikathon (23 miles) with my wife Helen on the trike which has a retrofitted electric motor, and me on my bike, without any problems. We have done both ends of the Loch Katrine road and only one of the steep hills in between. We could take the car and do B and B and do short loops or out and back for a day or two from each B and B and move on so that the cycling would be easier even although we take advantage of Helen's trike basket which is capable of carrying 25kg. Shetland is not flat, can be windy and cold even in summer, but we are not trying to break records or check our pulse rate, cadence, power output etc!
There are very helpful Shetland website with easily selected routes etc.
We do have to be careful about where we go, because steering the trike requires concentration which can be tiring and Helen has had one or two wee frights where adverse cambers and/or poor surfaces have jerked the trike off course unpredictably.
Hopefully this will generate positive encouragement from equally obsessed pensioners, although contributions from the under 65s will be appreciated.

John
nosmarbaj

Re: Shetland on Tri-1 folding trike

Post by nosmarbaj »

I'm mid-60s with a medical condition which prevents extreme exertion. I spent 2 weeks cycling in the Shetlands last month.

You are right - it is not flat. There are few really big steep hills but several long, less steep ones and a few short sharp ones. The worst ones were to the west of Brae. However it's by no means as lumpy as parts of SW England, the Lake District or the western Highlands.

Also it's unlikely to be warm, and is quite likely to be windy.

Taking a car and doing day rides from B&B's is a good idea if you're ok with the cost of getting the car to, and between, the islands. Accommodation is in short supply and expensive for what you get. We toured from place to place which necessitated some longish rides (generally over 40 miles - I think our longest day was around 90km/55mi).

There are many plusses:

Roads are generally in excellent condition - the oil money has been well used
Drivers almost all very courteous, certainly compared to SE England
Lots to see and do - scenery, wildlife, geology, history
Some good food especially if you like seafood

I'd recommend it!
When are you thinking of going?
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Shetland can be pretty good but the biggest problem is probably wind which can be really bad. It can also be much colder than you are used to and as has been said already accommodation can be a problem If you are into camping with a roof then bods are a possibility. The steepest main road hill is probably that just out of Lerwick going north tho' there are one or two on minor roads. In the centre bit between Lerwick and Scalloway there can be very thick fog sometimes so a good back light is needed. Drivers generally are reasonable. I have spent most of June on Shetland several years running and take my winter cycling gear with me and have used it several times. If going by car which is probably your best option be sure to get a cabin for the overnight trip but you will not get much change out of £500.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

I've been x3 times always staying in Bods. Cheap self catering council owned places.
Roads I found in excellent condition but as had been mentioned, winds can be a factor.
Wonderful place, great folk and scenery.
Expect all four seasons in one day though.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Thanks to all three contributors so far. I won't have any excuse for being cold, I have been well warned. It all sounds promising and will need a fair bit of planning. Nobody mentioned midgies , I can't think why! Plans at moment are to go next summer, not sure which month. Many thanks again.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

There are midges on Shetland but don't let that put you off.
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

PAB855 wrote:Thanks to all three contributors so far. I won't have any excuse for being cold, I have been well warned. It all sounds promising and will need a fair bit of planning. Nobody mentioned midgies , I can't think why! Plans at moment are to go next summer, not sure which month. Many thanks again.

Go in mid-June, it's pretty much daylight all night! It does get a bit dim after the sun sets around 10:30pm, but not properly dark - known locally as "simmer dim". At night you'd need "be seen" lights to cycle, but you wouldn't need a light to see by.

Re midges, they don't like wind so most of the time they won't be a problem! I once spent a whole summer in the Shetlands and don't think I was bitten once.