YHA - advice for a rookie

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
millimole

Re: YHA - advice for a rookie

Post by millimole »

DaveP wrote:I have tended to avoid Travelodge because some of them have a bit of a reputation for reselling your room if someone turns up cash in hand before you arrive. Infuriating if you are in a car and are referred to another hostelry 40 miles away from where you need to be first thing in the morning. Total disaster if you are on a bike at the end of a long hard day.

The trick is to ring up earlier in the day to confirm that you /will/ be arriving, and mention that you will be travelling by bicycle - never had an issue that way, and they will generally offer to make sure you get a ground floor room.
I don't bother ringing beforehand when using Travelodge by car, but even so, I've never had the 'resold room' issue. ( I wonder if it's one of these urban myths, that was true n+5 years ago, but not now?)

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad using hovercraft full of eels.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
skicat

Post by skicat »

andrew_s wrote:Travelodge works like budget airlines, with variable prices that can be competitive with B&B or YHA if there's 2 of you.

Yes, I stayed at the Edinburgh Travelodge during my JoGLE 2 years ago. As you say, you know what you're in for but I have to say it was the worst breakfast of the entire trip. I was particularly miffed that the cost was still more than the excellent B&B in Ecclefechan that I stayed in the following evening which managed to provide wonderful antique furniture, a four-poster bed and a breakfast that included home-made marmalade and jams 8) .
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

All the issues quoted here with the YHA were burning issues in the 70s and 80s when I was last a member, except now there are fewer hostels, they are more expensive, and their preference for school parties and now families as well is clearly even more problematic. Nothing changes, it only ever gets worse... :lol: .

I stayed (alone) in a delightful B&B in the Dales midweek for a few days last week for £30 a night. Super breakfast, big room, charming landlady. And I use Travelodges a lot when working - as a single female, I like their consistency, security, and bathrooms, and know I won't end up with a strange landlord/landlady. (I used to work in the theatre and Ive had a few weird experiences of theatrical digs in my time, as well as odd properties - when did you last see cotton-covered wiring and round-pin sockets, for example?)

If people on a budget want to stay put in an area and explore rather than tour, it might be worth looking at sports clubs with their own places. I stay in a caving one from time to time (they are generally less busy in the summer and midweek) and it's basic but absolutely fine for my needs, and incredibly cheap-a fiver a night pp.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

skicat wrote:
andrew_s wrote:Travelodge works like budget airlines, with variable prices that can be competitive with B&B or YHA if there's 2 of you.

Yes, I stayed at the Edinburgh Travelodge during my JoGLE 2 years ago. As you say, you know what you're in for but I have to say it was the worst breakfast of the entire trip. I was particularly miffed that the cost was still more than the excellent B&B in Ecclefechan that I stayed in the following evening which managed to provide wonderful antique furniture, a four-poster bed and a breakfast that included home-made marmalade and jams 8) .

I use travelodges when working but try to avoid their expensive breakfasts. I take bread rolls etc. with me for my breakfast and brew myself a drink with their kettle. But I'm the sort that doesn't like big meals in the morning except when I have plenty of time to eat one, like when on holiday.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

It's not uncommon for small cafes close to hotels to undercut the hotel breakfast prices.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

skicat wrote:the excellent B&B in Ecclefechan that I stayed in the following evening which managed to provide wonderful antique furniture, a four-poster bed and a breakfast that included home-made marmalade and jams 8) .

You mean you didn't get the eponymous tart? They saw you coming sunshine! :wink: :lol:

millimole wrote:The trick is to ring up earlier in the day to confirm that you /will/ be arriving, and mention that you will be travelling by bicycle - never had an issue that way, and they will generally offer to make sure you get a ground floor room.
I don't bother ringing beforehand when using Travelodge by car, but even so, I've never had the 'resold room' issue. ( I wonder if it's one of these urban myths, that was true n+5 years ago, but not now?)

Well I freely admit that my "policy" is based on reports on some telly programme or other, but the complaints certainly seemed genuine at the time, so what's a chap to think? If there's an alternative I would probably take it. If there isn't, I'll be taking a chance :)
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Book Travelodge 2 weeks in advance, camp one night, hotel the next, £27-29 per night, take your bike in the room, give it a shower if a wet day... after you lol... NO BRAINER ......
Had "Days Inn" hotels at £22 per night !!!
Thats 2 people, showers , coffee, nice beds, warm and cosy bike ....
Formula 1 hotels can be even cheaper but a lot of noise from the prostitutes early evening ... :)
YHA ... why !
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
horizon

Post by horizon »

landsurfer wrote:YHA ... why !

Because the YHA originally had a formula that made overnight stays affordable for people on low incomes: donated properties, dormitories, bring your own sheets (yes, really), volunteer repairs, doing a duty, communal facilities and volunteer wardens (in some hostels). This was simple, affordable accommodation (some of it very basic). Nowadays you'll get hot showers, internet booking, be treated as a "customer" and be sold alcohol.

The trouble is that the chain hotels have moved into the budget market while the YHA has moved up-market. So yes, you can now compare a YHA with a Travelodge. In fact, worse still, the YHA also now uses variable pricing which means weekends in YHAs are as expensive as the market allows.

The irony is that a retired person can get a great off-peak rate (say £12 per night ) in a lovely hostel while the young people stuck in school or college have to battle high prices at the weekend. Who says the YHA is for young people?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

landsurfer wrote:YHA ... why !

Because Travelodge don't have self catering kitchens. That's worth another £15 a night.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

I've just returned from a 5 day stay at the New Forest hostel in Burley. Excellent cycle storage with a free bicycle workstation that included a track pump.

We had our own 4 bed room and facilities, if a little dated, were more than adequate. And all for £12 per night. The very friendly and helpful manager informed us that the main hostel is closing from October to March for refurbishment. If the new facilities are anything like those provided for the recently installed camping pods, then they will be first class.

I can thoroughly recommend the New Forest for cycling, both on and off-road.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Norman H wrote:I've just returned from a 5 day stay at the New Forest hostel in Burley. Excellent cycle storage with a free bicycle workstation that included a track pump.

We had our own 4 bed room and facilities, if a little dated, were more than adequate. And all for £12 per night. The very friendly and helpful manager informed us that the main hostel is closing from October to March for refurbishment. If the new facilities are anything like those provided for the recently installed camping pods, then they will be first class.

I can thoroughly recommend the New Forest for cycling, both on and off-road.

thats strange as I am booked in there from October 10th for 4 nights
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I like youth hostels :)

Unfortunately, Mr. V doesn't. We only stay in them these days when they have a family room.

My favorite part of staying in youth hostels is meeting other people.

Be careful with your belongings, though. I had a couple of things go missings in hostels. Use a locker, or keep your stuff with you.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Vorpal wrote:I like youth hostels :)

Unfortunately, Mr. V doesn't. We only stay in them these days when they have a family room.

My favorite part of staying in youth hostels is meeting other people.

Be careful with your belongings, though. I had a couple of things go missings in hostels. Use a locker, or keep your stuff with you.

yes you get some very strange people ( not me though :lol: ). At sheringham there was this very small old couple, wife an indian who didnt like western medicin and wouldnt drink tap water and her husband an ex actor who wouldnt watch tv, made him puke :lol: and there was this cyclist guy whose bike must have been atleast 30+ years old rusty, hadnt been cleaned all greasy with old greasy bags and bits attached, probably holding the bike together, the guy walking around in shorts with suspenders halfway up his legs :shock:
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

mercalia wrote:

thats strange as I am booked in there from October 10th for 4 nights

I just checked the web site and it seems that the hostel is unavailable from 4th Nov 2016 to 10th March 2017.
climo

Post by climo »

Try AirBNB. They're everywhere and many offer good value.
Should say, we do AirBNB (cyclists get a discount) so vested interest I guess.