Traffic Conditions on Route Tarbert to Oban

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
island girl

Traffic Conditions on Route Tarbert to Oban

Post by island girl »

I cycled Claonaig, Tarbert, Lochgilphead , Kilmelford, Kilmore onwards to Oban on the A83 then A816 in 2013. I plan to take a group of cyclists next spring but have been advised that the road is now busy with traffic. Has anyone cycled it this summer, 2016, and could advise ?
pal

Re: Traffic Conditions on Route Tarbert to Oban

Post by pal »

I haven't cycled it this summer, but last summer (early August) the traffic was heavy enough on the A83 to make me want to divert onto the (longer and hillier!) sustrans route (NCN 78) where I could (some bits of it are too rough for a road bike, but the stretch along the canal from Lochgilphead to Crinan is fine, and the rest is on tarmac, except for a bit around Kilmartin). I didn't spend long on the A816, but the small bit I did ride (around Kilmartin) again made me happy to divert onto the sustrans route. The issue (for me) wasn't volume of traffic, but the fact that there were quite a lot of heavy vehicles, travelling fast, and not always in a mood to leave a lot of space for a cyclist. (But some people have a higher tolerance than I do for this sort of thing...)
RobertMcC

Re: Traffic Conditions on Route Tarbert to Oban

Post by RobertMcC »

I've been on this road or parts of it several times so far this summer and have not found it too bad,yes in the summer months there is a bit more traffic due to tourists and increased ferry schedule but as mentioned in previous post it depends on your level of tolerance to traffic (I would not say that mine is too high as I prefer quieter roads).

Springtime should see less traffic and I don't think the traffic volumes have increased significantly since your trip in 2013 - the road is just as lumpy though

Robert

Ps if you need anymore info let me know I'm reasonably local to that area