coming back from abroad...

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
al_yrpal

Re: coming back from abroad...

Post by al_yrpal »

Sailing across the Channel about 40 times over the years in our yacht we got boarded twice and stopped once by the HM Customs cutters that were recently shown on TV. Both boats were deployed to the Med about 18 months ago leaving the channel unpatrolled! The boarding party come all dressed in black and come over in a RIB. You get hailed by loudspeaker and ordered to stop. A bit intimidating. They look at your passports, ask if you are carrying illegals, drugs or contraband, have a cup of tea and a chat and depart. Presumably if they suspect anything they will search the boat.
Presently these two (or three) cutters have their work cut out.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

I agree about looking a bit smarter.
They can work in more subtle ways too.
I read of a drugs bust years ago, German chap who spoke no English (rare!) with a letter saying he was on a UK golfing holiday. Customs man (played golf) asked him to take a swing with one of the golf clubs in the car. It was obvious the man didn't play golf, drugs found in the false floor of the car.
I lost my passport once in France. UK immigration was done on the return ferry, so I presented a letter from the French police which basically said "this chap claims to have lost his passport". There was a long queue behind me, so I was told top come back later (which I took as a bad sign). I came back later (in my cycling gear), 1 question, "well where's your bike?" (er down there on the car deck (pointing to the floor). "What make is your bike?" (Pete Tansley). "What size is your bike?" (23 1/2") (I was thinking he hasn't got onto me yet.....). The immigration man looked me up and down, said "yes, that looks about the right size, your best passport is your British accent", handing me a disembarkation card.
Not sure what would have happened if I had been 2nd/3rd generation British Asian/Afro carribean with an accent........
US immigration officers, different kettle of fish.......
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

PT1029 wrote:US immigration officers, different kettle of fish.......

I have had a few unfortunate experiences on the US / Canada border, going both ways. Neither side seems to like anything unusual, which, it seems, includes cyclists and hitchhikers. :twisted:

But one time when Mr. V and I crossed the border between Washington state and BC in a rental car, we were separated and questioned independently. They kept asking where we were from & why we were travelling together, and whether we had any guns. I guess they thought it was strange that I had a midwestern US accent, and Mr. V had a strong rural Suffolk accent :lol: Going back the other way, they did the same, with slightly different questions.

After all was said and done, Mr. V ratherr humourously observed: Canadian customs official ask if we are carrying guns. American officials are worried about fruit!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom