Ibis budget

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
robing

Ibis budget

Post by robing »

Does anyone know if Ibis budget hotels let you lake your bike in the room? Particularly the one in lisieux. I've been staying at F1s and premiere classe with no problems but ibis seems a bit more upmarket, even the budget ones.

I'm trying to plan my check in when there's no-one on the desk and I can use the automated check in :wink:
pwa

Re: Ibis budget

Post by pwa »

Not at the one I used in Provence, but they had a very good locked cage in the underground car park, within which I locked our bikes using the locks we had with us. The key for the cage was kept at the reception. It seemed secure and worked well.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

The Ibis in Valence wouldn't let us take our bikes into the room but they did have a locked external storage room, not ideal but worked out ok.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

We have stayed in a lot of Ibis hotels whilst on tour and the policy unfortunately varies from hotel to hotel. There is often somewhere secure to keep the bikes (parking garage or a store room) but when there isn't I just explain that I'm not comfortable leaving the bikes where they suggest and how the holiday would be ruined should they get stolen. This usually leads to some head scratching and the eventual offer to take it to our room instead.

You could call the hotel directly to find out but IMO that's more likely to result in a "No". Much better to show up with your reservation and make it a problem for them to solve!
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

These are my wife's favourite chain of hotels when in France. We have never had a bike security problem in them, either they find a safe place or allow them in the rooms. Usually it is the first.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Some do, some don't and some will find space in a storeroom.
Generally you will be able to put your bike somewhere secure.
St Omer Ibis budget is very cycle friendly.
robing

Post by robing »

I timed my arrival well in the middle of the afternoon when the desk was closed and used the automated check in, so was able to sneak the bike in. They might be ****** in the morning when I wheel it out though :wink:
Definitely a notch up from the F1 and an en suite means I won't have to micturate in the sink :lol:
Last edited by Hemipode on 11 Sep 2016, 7:08am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove expletive
robgul

Post by robgul »

The whole ACCOR hotel group from F1 through IBIS in various guises to Novotel and Mercure are cycle friendly - I've never had a problem with either taking a bike in the room - or them providing secure storage (in the manager's office at an IBIS in Lyon!)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
robing

Post by robing »

Premiere classe are ok as well. In fact they gave me a ground floor room next to the fire exit so I could get my bike in easily.
robgul

Post by robgul »

. . . the trick of course if in doubt is not to ask the question and simply wheel the bike to your room!

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

robgul wrote:The whole ACCOR hotel group from F1 through IBIS in various guises to Novotel and Mercure are cycle friendly - I've never had a problem with either taking a bike in the room - or them providing secure storage (in the manager's office at an IBIS in Lyon!)

Rob

I can remember two occasions where an Ibis (not budget) weren't prepared to accommodate the bikes.
Once in St Omer where we had to leave the bikes in the courtyard car park which wasn't secure from public access and once in Cambrai where we had to leave the bikes under a tree in the hotel grounds. It very much depends on the hotel staff - generally they are helpful - but it can't be taken as a given.
Generally a non chain hotel gives greater certainty in this regard ( I include Logis in that ).
robing

Post by robing »

robgul wrote:. . . thea trick of course if in doubt is not to ask the question and simply wheel the bike to your room!

Rob

Absolutely! And if they have an automated check in as most of the budget ones do, time your arrival when the check in desk is closed - no-one about, simples. The ibis budget didn't bat an eyelid when I wheeled my bike out this morning after sneaking it in yesterday!
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

robgul wrote:The whole ACCOR hotel group from F1 through IBIS in various guises to Novotel and Mercure are cycle friendly - I've never had a problem with either taking a bike in the room - or them providing secure storage (in the manager's office at an IBIS in Lyon!).

Agreed and once or twice we have been really surprised with the facilities for cyclists. For example their hotel in Coimbra, Portugal has cycle racks in their underground car park, and we have never had to pay to park our bikes.

The only real problem I've had was in Koblenz in Germany where they directed us to the underground car park which was fully open to the public with nowhere to lock the bikes and no CCTV. We were instructed to lock them them anywhere as long as it wasn't in a parking space which essentially meant using one of the concrete pillars. It didn't feel safe so we returned to the reception hoping to find a better location, but were told there no available space anywhere in the (large) hotel. No store rooms, no empty office, nothing. I got the impression the hotel manager wasn't keen about our decision to use his hotel and so he didn't want to be helpful. Eventually it was suggested that we could take them to our room - this was fine but it's hard to live around two bikes in a tiny room.

But other than this have always had a good experience with the chain, and we try to them where possible when staying in a city centre whilst on tour.
helenheart

Post by helenheart »

Although I do not have a response per se, I want to tell you of my experience in USA. I cycled for quite a few miles on a trip, and was initially amazed about the casual response re: bikes in the rooms. Eventually ( there are many hours of reflection whilst cycling 1600 miles) I realised that the impact of a 15 lb bike and 15 sq ft ( questionable ) wheel print, is so so so less than the human foot print. Sadly.....telling the average negatively opinionated front desk clerk can be futile.
Helen xo

ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

It may be that the hotel staff are concerned that having a bike or even two could end up with oil stains on the furnishings.
We once stayed in a Spanish B&B in Santurzi - on asking where we could put the bikes they said we could keep them in the room.
The room was immaculately furnished and I felt serious concern about our filthy ( after a two week tour) bikes being in proximity.