Maps.Me

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Redvee

Maps.Me

Post by Redvee »

I can't find the thread using the search option as there are over 13,000 results but I used this greatly when in Barcelona last week and saved an absolute fortune on mobile data costs, the extra charges for the 5 nights/6 days I was in Spain was £5.92. The only thing to be aware of is make sure the maps you want to use are up to date before you go as all the mapping is stored on your device and uses GPS only to navigate.
Paulatic

Re: Maps.Me

Post by Paulatic »

"Maps me"

Gives 31 results
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

32 now!
robing

Post by robing »

Uses up a lot of memory, especially as you have to download multiple areas for a tour. Is there a way of using the sd card to store the map data? I couldn't find one.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

robing wrote:Uses up a lot of memory, especially as you have to download multiple areas for a tour. Is there a way of using the sd card to store the map data? I couldn't find one.

Select an app that uses vector mapping - much much smaller and pretty-well unlimited zoom (without massive storage requirements). I don't know what types of mapping maps.me uses but there are other packages that do use vector mapping. On my own phone I've downloaded the entire UK (vector mapping) and the download is around 400MB - including contours (iPhone package but there are equivalents for Android).

Ian
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

maps.me is definitely vector mapping. It's a smart app but I personally much prefer the cartography of MapOut.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

robing wrote:Uses up a lot of memory, especially as you have to download multiple areas for a tour. Is there a way of using the sd card to store the map data? I couldn't find one.

Initially the app will download and store on your handset but it is easy to move the app to the microSD card and the subsequent map updates will also then be on the card.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:maps.me is definitely vector mapping. It's a smart app but I personally much prefer the cartography of MapOut.

And I prefer Cycle.Travel [emoji6]

I plotted a finicky little camping tour into the Mendips this weekend and 'it' got it bang on. Such an awesome resource [emoji106]
robing

Post by robing »

Redvee wrote:

Initially the app will download and store on your handset but it is easy to move the app to the microSD card and the subsequent map updates will also then be on the card.

I tried that, although it is easy to move the app to the SD card, the maps were in 'misc' files on the phone memory.
Samurray

Post by Samurray »

+1 for Maps.me
Used it exclusively to get me around Turkey, Georgia, India and SE Asia. Surprisingly accurate. I tend to use it as just a map rather than employing the navigation feature. My only gripe is that I preferred the app when it was simpler. They keep trying to 'improve' it with each update by adding more features and I find the Search facility incredibly slow now. But if you're just after decent downloadable mapping it's difficult to beat.