Isle of Mull Rally

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ambodach

Isle of Mull Rally

Post by ambodach »

Just a heads up for anyone contemplating going anywhere near Mull on weekend starting Friday 14th Oct. The madness usually starts a couple of days earlier but unless you are into motor car racing avoid this time.You are advised to stay indoors and avoid any use of the emergency services who may not be able to reach you. This is called a rally but in fact is full on racing on single track roads.like many others who can I simply leave the island for a week.Last year I had to return early for a family funeral and had difficulty getting back as the roads were blocked by petrolheads who did not care about anyone else using the roads.
stephenjubb

Re: Isle of Mull Rally

Post by stephenjubb »

wow. wonder what the authorities think of what you describe about the roads?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

stephenjubb wrote:wow. wonder what the authorities think of what you describe about the roads?

It's run under the auspices of an Act of Parliament using "closed road" status. Website here: http://mullrally.org/

I cannot understand how emergency services would not be allowed to reach an emergency - OP, can you explain?
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

The emergency services would be able to reach an emergency - eventually after all the safety procedures are in place and all the cars are stopped. There was a case a couple of years ago when it was alleged an ambulance was prevented from proceeding. This led to fervent denials but no satisfactory answer seemed to appear. Some of the marshals are full of self importance and are probably traffic wardens in mufti. ( I have met and had confrontations with some). Since I now leave the area the problem so far as I am concerned no longer arises.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Just on the ferry back from Mull. The whole island is getting geared up for the rally. Revving engines in the early hours of the morning. B & Bs booked up.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

ambodach wrote:The emergency services would be able to reach an emergency - eventually after all the safety procedures are in place and all the cars are stopped. There was a case a couple of years ago when it was alleged an ambulance was prevented from proceeding. This led to fervent denials but no satisfactory answer seemed to appear. Some of the marshals are full of self importance and are probably traffic wardens in mufti. ( I have met and had confrontations with some). Since I now leave the area the problem so far as I am concerned no longer arises.

Rallying is dangerous. They have very well-established procedures in the case of emergencies, so it would be remarkable if that had broken down, or failed to be invoked in the case of a "civilian" emergency.

Marshalls are volunteers and all sorts do it I'm sure, but their job is to keep everyone safe, sometimes despite themselves and their earnest intent to put themselves in harm's way. Our marshalls are renowned as the best in the world, incidentally.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Completely off topic but your opinion of car racers and marshals depends on your experience and which side of the fence you are on.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I like to think that I straddle both sides, I don't think they are mutually exclusive.