Open Source Map of Japan for Garmin 800

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mnichols

Open Source Map of Japan for Garmin 800

Post by mnichols »

HI

Does anyone know where I can get an opensource map of Japan for the Garmin 800?

I've downloaded the one recommended by DC Rainmaker (http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/down ... 00810.html)

Which is at (http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/), but whilst this is very detailed it doesn't seem to have road and street names - possibly a problem with translation as all the roads and streets seem to be on there. Instead, it all the roads just say 'paved road' or 'street'
Rich_Clements

Re: Open Source Map of Japan for Garmin 800

Post by Rich_Clements »

you have gone where I was going to suggest :? sorry not much help but I would be interested if you happen across a fix.
Rich
cotswolds

Post by cotswolds »

Does the Garmin 800 have any language settings? My elderly Etrex doesn't, but you have something newer, so it might.

For comparison, I looked at OSMAND on my phone, which has a 'map preferred language' option which can be set to Local, English, or (eg) Japanese. So maybe the map is OK but you need to find the right setting in the Garmin (or maybe it doesn't have a suitable font).
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

The garmin does have a language option and that is set to English. I suspect that it is either an alphabet issue or they don't have Street names?

I've downloaded the osmand map on my phone and that seems to work ok, but not sure if I'm getting Street names
cotswolds

Post by cotswolds »

If you look at the online version [url]openstreetmap.org[/url] a few streets have road names. Same on google maps. You could try finding a named street online and see if you're getting the name on your garmin or in osmand.

Just found this http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/04/most-japanese-streets-dont-have-names/ which explains a lot.

I remember colleague telling me how wanted to go to a restaurant somewhere in the suburbs of Tokyo. He had the details written on a piece of paper which he gave to the taxi driver, but it took about an hour to find. He was told that was the norm in Japan, their addressing system isn't very good.

Not sure what you need street names for, but good luck...
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Do they have street names as we know them, in Japan? I know that some main roads are named, but not sure all are. Google maps only show a few names, but plenty also labels at intersections, particularly traffic lights.

You could try posting here https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/ ... asia/japan someone may know.

(Currently in Otaru, Hokkaido)
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Similar things happen closer to home.

Few rural roads in Ireland have names. And I've been in small towns where once you turn off the main street (which will probably be called Shop St or Store St or Main St) there are plenty smaller unnamed streets. But I've not heard anyone say this makes finding your way especially difficult. I once went to visit someone, and his address only narrowed it down to about 100 houses. To do his job, the postman literally had to know that Mrs Higgins lives here and Mr Finnegan lives there.

I once got horribly lost in Porto in Portugal, because out in the suburbs there were very few street names to be seen, neither on main roads nor side-turnings. When I finally located myself, I was about 5km away from where I hoped I might be. It doesn't help that it is one of those countries where they changed many of the street names after the downfall of some regime, but people still use the old names.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

simonhill wrote:
(Currently in Otaru, Hokkaido)

How are you navigating to guest houses or other places that you need to?
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I've also heard that houses are numbered in the order that they are built and not in the order that they are in the road. I'm mostly staying in small guest houses (ryokans) I'm not sure how I'm going to find them, especially in rural areas
moultoneer

Post by moultoneer »

There usually aren't street names in Japan. Addresses usually include 2 or 3 numbers. The last one is usually the building or house number, the previous one is the number of the block containing the house, and if there is a third number it is the sub-area of the district.

In cities stations have local maps with the numbers on, or you can ask at the police kiosks. In a rural area any local person will willingly help you.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

moultoneer wrote:
In cities stations have local maps with the numbers on, or you can ask at the police kiosks. In a rural area any local person will willingly help you.

Thanks, do you think they will speak English in the rural areas?
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Here is something posted on the LP site, I'll make my post separately.

In Japan - either use Google, or turn up at the local post office and ask them.

In rural areas, buildings are usually numbered by the order that they're listed in the local land registry, with additional numbers sometimes thrown in to account for subdivisions which have taken place since the land was initially registered. The exact procedure for the numbers varies from town to town though. It's a pretty absurd system. You would never, ever, ever be able to find my address without resorting to one of the two methods I mention above. I have absolutely no idea what my own neighbors' addresses are.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

You may find people who speak English in rural areas, but it will be difficult. Many people in the country are elderly and it seems that nobody speaks English. Obviously some do to varying degree, but few seem willing to use it. In fact I have had people shy away from rather than try and help if I ask them in English. If it's written in Japanese you will have more success.

As I'm sure you know, the Japanese like to keep themselves to themselves and this can come across as rude or unfriendly. I regularly smile and wave at people as I'm cycling, but almost invariably get no response.

Tourist offices are very useful as are some of the 7-11 type convenience stores, ie people used to speaking to foriegners, or at least dealing with strangers.

I don't stay in many Ryokans, I prefer business hotels. I know they are traditional Japanese, but after a day on the bike, I prefer a proper hotel room with bed and bathroom. The local places are all on the floor and involve lots of getting up and down. Also, they are often no cheaper.

I rarely book more than a day in advance, to get to a place:

I either just turn up and look for somewhere. This only really works in larger towns, usually near to the railway station.

I sometimes use booking.com and they provide a Google map for the hotel. I usually check this with earth or Street view to show me what the place looks like and confirm the position. Unfortunately they sometimes get the location wrong.

Local tourist offices are great for searching out and booking places, they will then show you the location on a map.. For Ryokan type places, they can explain if you don't want food. (N B Some guest houses will refuse to accept you at short notice as they don't have time to prepare food. The tourist offices can explain that no food isn't a problem and means you get to stay.)

As it happens, I am currently in a small Ryokan with its own onsen. Booked by local tourist office in a small town. It's good to do a few of these, just not all the time.

Disastrous times with plummeting pound!

Where did you find the places that you booked?
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Thanks Simon. I've booked via booking.com. I might swap a few Ryokans for Business hotels