UK Cycling Tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ukdodger

Re: UK Cycling Tour

Post by ukdodger »

simonhill wrote:When people ask such questions, I usually say what do you want to see and what interests you?

A bit of research to find places that appeal can often lead to a route naturally following on. The UK is a fantastically diverse country in terms of scenery, topography and culture but not all of it may appeal to you. Stonehenge or Stratford upon Avon, Constable Country or Wordsworth's Lake District. We can recommend until the cows come home, but only you know what you like.

It would also help if you said what sort of accommodation and what budget. This could be another deciding factor. Camping, hostels, b&bs, or hotels. Not forgetting warm showers.

I'm not trying to be awkward, just trying to help you pin things down a bit.

...............and finally, no one has answered about hiring a decent bike. I imagine there are places, but I have no idea where, or how much. My normal recommendation is to bring your own.

One of the reasons I suggested he use Google street view to check out a route. I find it invaluable. What is sometimes called a cycle path turns out to be a mountain bike cycle path.
horizon

Post by horizon »

simonhill wrote:
I

...............and finally, no one has answered about hiring a decent bike. I imagine there are places, but I have no idea where, or how much. My normal recommendation is to bring your own.

Which is maybe why we haven't answered. :wink:

My recommendation for travellers from US/Canada is to spec a Surly, try one out, go to local dealer etc, buy the panniers in the US and then arrange to buy one in the UK. The exact bike should be waiting for you at the dealer. And then work out how you might sell it again (put the advert out at the start of trip?). But bringing your own is far from impossible.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
RWC

Post by RWC »

Good day,

This is all very helpful and much appreciated. For your curiosity, I am from a place called Winnipeg, smack dab in the middle of Canada on the eastern edge of the vast prairies. It is very ugly, flat and cold, but a good place to live if you enjoy wide open spaces, bugs in the summer, hockey in the winter and always terrible roads. I am using my 40th birthday as an excuse to do this trip and so far the boss at home (wife) has agreed. I consider myself to be quite fit and I hope to be as fit in a couple of years when I embark on this trip. I'm a hardy guy and weather (and hills) doesn't stop me. Here in Canada my idea of a vacation is two weeks in the bush with the bugs, bears, fishing gear and a canoe.

I have been doing some Google research and the Lon Las Cymru trail is the route I am leaning towards at this point in time. I'll be doing this trip on a budget and so I plan camping for the duration of the trip. As for distances travelled per day, not sure yet, but I consider myself a hard charger and quite frankly besides sitting in a pub I like to move. I like the Idea of doing the Lon Las Cymru North to South, then Bristol to Lyme Regis. Any comments?

Again many thanks,

RWC.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Lon Las Cymru is a terrifically enjoyable route.

It contains several off-road sections and shared-use paths, particularly between Brecon and Cardiff (the Taff Trail). These are probably not best suited for "hard charging"! So if you want to get your head down and maintain a reasonably high speed, you may want to make a few modifications to the official route. On the other hand, if you don't mind a bimble at 12mph or less then you'll very much enjoy them. Generally this is true of most of the traffic-free sections of the National Cycle Network - some utterly lovely paths but by and large not designed for fast cycling.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
ubert767

Post by ubert767 »

Hello RWC,
I commend your choice if you do choose the Lon Las / Dorset route for your tour.
A major consideration for me when deciding on a tour is the logistical problem of getting to and from the ride with my bike . You may be aware that using the British rail system when accompanied with a bike isn't simple (if that is your intension) so that needs some research, wherever you decide to go.
One observation regarding your proposed finish in Lyme Regis, although it being a lovely English seaside town on the World Heritage Jurassic Coast , it isn't on our rail system so you may decide to finish further east in Weymouth which is on the rail network, you can then get back to the London airports if needed.
Rob
RWC

Post by RWC »

Thank you Rob,

Regarding the transportation I will consider Weymouth as the last stop.

RWC.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Sounds like you have got your route sorted, Wel done.

Now the to turn to a bike. Googling from there will reveal anything we can find re hiring. If you decide to bring a bike with you, the best bet, you will need to research airlines. American (as in N American) airlines are fabled for being bike unfriendly. You may find one that takes your bike for free, but if not, the cost may still be less than hiring.

Also work out your overall weight, as camping gear can be heavy.

Virgin Airlines carry bikes for free as do British Airways, but check rules carefully. Don't just book the cheapest and hope.

If possible, try to extend your trip a bit. Two weeks rapidly becomes ten days with all the travelling.

Finally have a good look at the weather. May is probably the prettiest month, with all things green and verdant. Nonetheless it can be wet and chilly, but maybe not problem for you! June may be a bit warmer, but don't bank on it, British weather is very unpredictable. Otherwise September is usually good and schools are back, but shorter days.

Make the planning part of the adventure and enjoy!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Do South Downs, then head west (See Stonehenge and Avebury? The white horses?), then over to Wales?

If you want to go north, Peak District, North Yorkshire Moors, Hadrians Wall Cycleway, Way of the Roses. If that isn't enough, head up into Scotland. The Great Glen has some impressive scenery, as do routes into the Cairngorms or the Highlands.

Scotland and the Isles is another alternative. You can take ferries between the Islands.

You can also extend your capabilities by taking your bike on the train if you wanted to; do a few days in the south of England, then take a train to Wales and do a few days there, then take a train to the Midlands, etc.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
whoof

Post by whoof »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:Lon Las Cymru is a terrifically enjoyable route.

It contains several off-road sections and shared-use paths, particularly between Brecon and Cardiff (the Taff Trail). These are probably not best suited for "hard charging"! So if you want to get your head down and maintain a reasonably high speed, you may want to make a few modifications to the official route. On the other hand, if you don't mind a bimble at 12mph or less then you'll very much enjoy them. Generally this is true of most of the traffic-free sections of the National Cycle Network - some utterly lovely paths but by and large not designed for fast cycling.

The Lon Las Cymru has two southern start/end points; Cardiff and Chepstow. If you are heading for Bristol and then Dorset you would go to Chepstow and therefore avoid all the rough sections between Brecon and Cardiff. There are other smaller sections of unpaved or poor road surface but these have alternatives. If you search on here for Lon Las Cymru there is quite a lot of advice regarding road surface and some sections being closed. I rode Chepstow to Holyhead a couple of years ago on a 'road' bike with 25 mm tyres and had no problems.
mjr

Post by mjr »

On hiring, I don't know if for one bike for a couple of weeks, doing a private hire from spinlister.com or similar might offer more choices, but it may need pick-up/drop-off from a less convenient place.

If you're flying to/from one of the London airports, http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/bicycle-rental-london/ is an overview of some hirers.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
tomsumner49

Post by tomsumner49 »

If you do want to head east from Lyme Regis (as suggested above) then you could utilise parts of this
http://en.tourdemanche.com/

Tom
GPC

Post by GPC »

Perhaps join a CTC holidays and tours trip, run by Cycling UK. Lots of options, you'll meet like minded cyclists and hopefully enjoy yourself.

http://www.ctctours.co.uk/tours/list1.php?varcat=UK
irc

Post by irc »

simonhill wrote:...............and finally, no one has answered about hiring a decent bike. I imagine there are places, but I have no idea where, or how much. My normal recommendation is to bring your own.

Seconded! bringing a bike that fits well and is comfortable is the way to go. Beware of airline charges. USA airlines notorious for high charges flor carrying bikes. I've used British Airways, Aer Lingus, and Air Transat for transatlantic flights. All have reasonable charges. For an economy ticket it's around $50 or $60 each way for a bike box.

Or with BA free if the bike box is the checked bag covered by your ticket. I always have my bike in a box and my panniers and tent in a suitcase so I need to pay for a 2nd bag. Some tickets allow 2 free bags.

If you are flying into Glasgow I could store your bike box or large cardboard box while you are here. I'm about 25mins from the airport. But unless you switch from Wales to Scotland for your tour It's not the most convenient airport.
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

Flying with your own bike is no problem, thousands of bikes are flown every year all over the place. and you get to ride your own bike.
look at Dungeness to Durness. It's from the bottom right of the country to the top right, which is in scotland. you'll see the entire country, warts and all. it'll need planning but you avoid london by a small pedestrian ferry - gravesend-tilbury. This route is far better than lands end to john o groats which starts badly, tails off a bit in the middle, and as for the end - well, the less said about that, the better.
finally, pop back here and ask if you have any problems.
it's worth mentioning to all and sundry, at every possible chance, that you are Canadian. Which means you're not american. just about every family in the uk has relatives in canada.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

What about this for a few days, should be good for a few bevvies/drams at the end of each day:

http://www.northcoast500.com/

All the best, Simon