UK Cycling Tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
RWC

UK Cycling Tour

Post by RWC »

Greetings,

I live in Canada and I am planning a 2 week touring trip somewhere in the UK sometime in the next couple of years. most likely late summer 2018. I haven't a clue where abouts I want to go and so I am looking for some help in deciding upon a route. I am looking for a picturesque, rustic trip with more countryside than city streets. I want a route that is challenging, scenic and where I might be able to take in some culture (a pint a night is a goal of mine as well). I am looking for the lesser known roads with the least amount of traffic as possible. Also, I'll be considering renting a bike and accessories as travelling with Bike and equipment may be a challenge.

Thank you in advance for your considerations,

RWC.
ukdodger

Re: UK Cycling Tour

Post by ukdodger »

RWC wrote:Greetings,

I live in Canada and I am planning a 2 week touring trip somewhere in the UK sometime in the next couple of years. most likely late summer 2018. I haven't a clue where abouts I want to go and so I am looking for some help in deciding upon a route. I am looking for a picturesque, rustic trip with more countryside than city streets. I want a route that is challenging, scenic and where I might be able to take in some culture (a pint a night is a goal of mine as well). I am looking for the lesser known roads with the least amount of traffic as possible. Also, I'll be considering renting a bike and accessories as travelling with Bike and equipment may be a challenge.

Thank you in advance for your considerations,

RWC.

There are plenty. Your best bet is to look them up on Google then use Google Earth/street view to investigate them further. If it were me I'd avoid Wales. It's full of big big hills,
meic

Post by meic »

But RWC hasnt actually stated that he/she is afraid of hills. :lol:
I am looking for the lesser known roads with the least amount of traffic as possible.

Now that is where West Wales scores very highly. I have made it home, on a Sunday evening, from where my parents used to live twenty miles away on a few occasions without meeting a single car. :D The norm would be less than a half a dozen.
Though it would be correct to say that we do have a few hills here. We also have a range of beers from microbreweries across the area and the few pubs that you find are mostly traditional independent pubs.
Yma o Hyd
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

meic wrote:But RWC hasnt actually stated that he/she is afraid of hills. :lol:
I am looking for the lesser known roads with the least amount of traffic as possible.

Now that is where West Wales scores very highly. I have made it home, on a Sunday evening, from where my parents used to live twenty miles away on a few occasions without meeting a single car. :D The norm would be less than a half a dozen.
Though it would be correct to say that we do have a few hills here. We also have a range of beers from microbreweries across the area and the few pubs that you find are mostly traditional independent pubs.

Back to back mountains you mean..
meic

Post by meic »

Much smaller than Canadian mountains. :lol:
Yma o Hyd
pwa

Post by pwa »

As a starting point for your planning, have a look at established long distance trails, then perhaps try to connect them up to make a circuit. There are about 4 Coast to Coast trails in the North of England, including the Way of the Roses and the official Coast to Coast. There is Lon Las Cymru, taking you down through Wales. These are all road routes with off-road sections as alternatives, and they stick as much as possible to quiet lanes.
Last edited by pwa on 5 Oct 2016, 9:01am, edited 2 times in total.
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

What sort of daily distance do you want to cover? 2 weeks will enable you to visit more than one area of the UK which as you'll know is less than 1/40 the size of Canada.

Also, consider avoiding school summer holidays (which end late August), which will result in less rural traffic and more plentiful accommodation/camping.

Most of the coastline outside London is attractive and often challenging (typically many short steep hills rather than anything major). Find routes to avoid the cities and major roads, but smaller coastal towns and villages are often attractive with good beer opportunities.

Other random ideas in addition to those upthread: Around the border between Scotland and England is good. Rural Yorkshire. Dorset/Devon/Cornwall. Norfolk.

As a Scot, I'd recommend the Scottish Highlands and/or the Northern or Western Isles, but your pint-a-night goal is difficult, at least if you want decent beer (there is some, but it's hard to find :( )
whoof

Post by whoof »

picturesque, rustic trip with more countryside than city streets. challenging, scenic culture (a pint a night is a goal of mine as well lesser known roads with the least amount of traffic as possible.
RWC.

I would say South West England and most Wales fits the above, possibly the two linked together. Fortunately large parts of the UK have lots of quite lanes going through small villages so you could be spoilt for choice.
You might try picking places you definitely what to see. Say the Eden project or Tate Gallery in Cornwall and then try this site to get a route linking them.

http://cycle.travel/map
horizon

Post by horizon »

a 2 week touring trip somewhere in the UK

I haven't a clue where abouts I want to go and so I am looking for some help in deciding upon a route.

I am looking for a picturesque, rustic trip with more countryside than city streets.

I want a route that is challenging, scenic and where I might be able to take in some culture

(a pint a night is a goal of mine as well).

This route actually ticks all your boxes apart from maybe challenging:

http://www.thenationalbyway.org/
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Another option is to do the E2E. Lands end to John-O-Groats. It can be done in two weeks but at a bit more than leisurely pace. If you can stretch it to three weeks do the E2E with the CTC. They do it three time a year and you'll meet people too. Some of them are even rustic.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I recently did the Lon Las Cymru which would be a good start to base something like this on. You could extend it at the bottom to Penzance following the West Country Way from Bristol and at the top by following NCN5 across the top of Wales to Liverpool and maybe pick up the Trans Pennine Trail there. I've not cycled the top extension but the West Country Way is fantastic.
horizon

Post by horizon »

The West Midlands section of the Byway is even described as very challenging. It's a nice slice of England:

http://www.thenationalbyway.org/product/west-midlands/
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
ubert767

Post by ubert767 »

I too recommend the Lon Las Cymru, an excellent ride with friendly locals. We did it from north to south this summer and continued onward over the Severn Bridge to sample the delights of Bath, the Kennet and Avon canal and Dorset.
honesty

Post by honesty »

ubert767 wrote:I too recommend the Lon Las Cymru, an excellent ride with friendly locals. We did it from north to south this summer and continued onward over the Severn Bridge to sample the delights of Bath, the Kennet and Avon canal and Dorset.

hadn't thought of that. You could follow this all the way into/out of London if you wanted as well.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

When people ask such questions, I usually say what do you want to see and what interests you?

A bit of research to find places that appeal can often lead to a route naturally following on. The UK is a fantastically diverse country in terms of scenery, topography and culture but not all of it may appeal to you. Stonehenge or Stratford upon Avon, Constable Country or Wordsworth's Lake District. We can recommend until the cows come home, but only you know what you like.

It would also help if you said what sort of accommodation and what budget. This could be another deciding factor. Camping, hostels, b&bs, or hotels. Not forgetting warm showers.

I'm not trying to be awkward, just trying to help you pin things down a bit.

...............and finally, no one has answered about hiring a decent bike. I imagine there are places, but I have no idea where, or how much. My normal recommendation is to bring your own.