Woody's Top YHA closed

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pete75

Re: Woody's Top YHA closed

Post by pete75 »

TrevA wrote:
axel_knutt wrote:
TrevA wrote:Lincoln, Thurlby, Kings Lynn, Ilam Hall, Charlbury, Cleeve Hill - all gone now.

Ilam's still open.

Is it? I had a quick look n the YHA map and couldn't see it, but perhaps it doesn't count as an East Mids hostel - I think it's just over the border into Staffs.

ive not stayed in hostel for years. As everyone says, Travelodges are often cheaper, there are more of them and the are certainly easier to book.

I as going to do a YHA tour of Norfolk this year but there a quite a few gaps there too.

It's in what they call Heart of England not East Mids.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

axel_knutt wrote:That's my only remaining route north gone now, I used to do Cambridge-Thurlby-Sherwood, or Cambridge-Thurlby-National Forest. My previous routes are long gone: Ivinghoe-Bradwell-Badby-Copt Oak-Shining Cliff, or Cambridge-Kings Lynn-Lincoln.

The same thing has happened to the routes from London to the South-West. Overton and Cranbourne went, then Winchester, Salisbury, Southampton and Hindhead. The only remaining YH-based route from London to Hampshire and beyond is via the 'YHA Affiliate' camping barn at Puttenham* then the 63 miles to Burley, which is challenging for many riders, or a long way round via Streatley (72 miles on to Burley). Getting to Somerset is only possible via Streatley and then Cholderton to Street.

* does offer £3.00/head discount for not arriving by private motor vehicle. :D
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

jgurney wrote:The same thing has happened to the routes from London to the South-West. Overton and Cranbourne went, then Winchester, Salisbury, Southampton and Hindhead. The only remaining YH-based route from London to Hampshire and beyond is via the 'YHA Affiliate' camping barn at Puttenham* then the 63 miles to Burley, which is challenging for many riders, or a long way round via Streatley (72 miles on to Burley). Getting to Somerset is only possible via Streatley and then Cholderton to Street.

There's an independent hostel at East Meon, but I haven't tried it, so I don't know what it's like.
The only option to the west from here is Lee Valley-Jordans-Oxford-Cirencester-Bath, then there are options into either the west country or south Wales. Clyffe Pypard was usefully located, but it doesn't surprise me that's gone, the woman running it was a bit like Basil Fawlty. I tried to use Cholderton a couple of times, but I couldn't get them to answer the phone.

* does offer £3.00/head discount for not arriving by private motor vehicle. :D

The best I've done is congratulations. At Port Eynon the girl wardening went to fetch her friend when I told her I'd cycled from Essex, and the warden at Newcastle said "Oh, well done!" when I told him I'd be arriving by bike.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Blimey - hadn't realised Stow-on-the-Wold had closed.

We miss our Youth Hostel here in Charlbury. There was some degree of controversy as it was closed by the owners about 15 years, I think, after the townspeople had chipped in to keep it open.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:Blimey - hadn't realised Stow-on-the-Wold had closed.

We miss our Youth Hostel here in Charlbury. There was some degree of controversy as it was closed by the owners about 15 years, I think, after the townspeople had chipped in to keep it open.

Stow too? I've stayed at Stow several times over the years. It was good as it was right in the town centre and close to several pubs!
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

TrevA wrote:
axel_knutt wrote:
TrevA wrote:Lincoln, Thurlby, Kings Lynn, Ilam Hall, Charlbury, Cleeve Hill - all gone now.

Ilam's still open.

Is it? I had a quick look n the YHA map and couldn't see it, but perhaps it doesn't count as an East Mids hostel - I think it's just over the border into Staffs.

ive not stayed in hostel for years. As everyone says, Travelodges are often cheaper, there are more of them and the are certainly easier to book.

I as going to do a YHA tour of Norfolk this year but there a quite a few gaps there too.

well you can only get as far as Sheringham now with only 3 hostels on the North coast line, that Gt Yarmouth has gone & forget about doing the coast like of East Anglia & Essex down to London.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:Blimey - hadn't realised Stow-on-the-Wold had closed.

It's been replaced by the new one at Cirencester.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
1982john

Post by 1982john »

It's a shame these are closing, why do people think it's happening?

My view is younger folk (under 35) just dont even consider them viable places to stay. All my friends (outside of tourers) and work colleagues look at me dumbstruck whenever I mention im staying a in hostel in an actual room with people I dont know. Much of this can be attributed to the scaremongering whipped up in the media but there is also some snobbishness to it.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

1982john wrote:It's a shame these are closing, why do people think it's happening?

My view is younger folk (under 35) just dont even consider them viable places to stay. All my friends (outside of tourers) and work colleagues look at me dumbstruck whenever I mention im staying a in hostel in an actual room with people I dont know. Much of this can be attributed to the scaremongering whipped up in the media but there is also some snobbishness to it.

school and outward bound groups. Last week end I was at Burley New Forest and a group from the Princes Trust were using it as a base. Other than those the YHA was almost empty apart from me and a few other old people
millimole

Post by millimole »

1982john wrote:It's a shame these are closing, why do people think it's happening?

It's a very different society is the short answer.
The long answer is the subject of several threads on here and elsewhere. People are less accepting of communal facilities, and are much less accepting of 'basic' facilities; there is the 'fear' of paedophiles/ theft/ sexual predators/ axe-murderers - you choose; YHA have chosen a business model that prioritises city hostels for travellers, and school parties in rural locations.
As much as my nostalgic side wants to go back to the hostels and Hostelling of my yoof (the 70s) it ain't gonna happen!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad using hovercraft full of eels.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Lots of reasons, including:

- I suspect the relative costs of YH overnights and train fares have changed. If memory serves, when I was a teenager, to cycle from London to western Dorset via Overton and Cranbourne YH's was cheaper (in hostel fees) than going by rail. I probably wasn't the only one who rode for a couple of days through known territory first to get to the area I was really interested in, when today we tend to get the train out there and then start riding.
That may account for a number of YH's which were not in places of particular interest but made good stops on route from cities to common cycle touring regions.

- I think the specific demographic group that made the YHA has changed a great deal. It grew out of the working-class hiking movement which developed primarily in the industrial cities either side of the Pennines, much encouraged by both the Methodist church which saw it as healthy exercise and as keeping men out of pubs, and by left-wing intellectuals who saw it as working-class collective self-improvement. The early YHA had a good supply of members with craft skills volunteering within it, and people used to membership clubs and collective efforts run on a shoestring and therefore willing to accept the club premises (the hostels) being basic to keep the members costs down.
I think one the YHA's big problems is that many of it's new users see themselves as customers and feel insulted at receiving basic facilities, rather than as members who don't want to be paying more than necessary.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Sorry to hear this, I tried to stay a few years ago just to make sure I'd been but every weekend was booked out.
I've done a bit of hostelling this year, but in Germany, where there are over 500. One possibly crucial difference is that I could book to stay when there were school groups also staying, something that I believe you can't do in England. Certainly it's been a reason for me not being able to stay in hostels a number of times. At 20-30 euros it wasn't much more than camping, and was overall a pretty positive experience.
I used to enjoy the whole chores-and-all-sitting-at-one-big-table thing at English hostels, getting to know people. The memory of squeaky bunks and sheet sleeping bags wrapping around legs and snorers has faded!
Yes, it's a different world. Fortunately there are other ways we can meet people such as Vrienden Op de Fiets in the Netherlands, Camp in my Garden, Warm Showers, etc., but we should still miss those lovely characterful old youth hostels and the adventures that we had...
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
fast but dim

Post by fast but dim »

I stay in hostels occasionally, maybe every couple months, and barring youth groups at 44 I'm often the youngest there.

I've given up on using dorms, and usually book a room with a mate of two. There's certainly no camaraderie anymore if you're a solo traveller ( I always have a drop in breakfast if I am cycle camping near a hostel)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well this is why hostels are closing? Just got this email from them about making a donation to Tanners Hatch to ( unnecessary) refurb it

"Earlier this year, the refurbishment at YHA Tintagel did wonders for the place and we’re planning to improve YHA Tanners Hatch in the same sympathetic way. Our plan is to renovate the hostel’s three bedrooms, improve the self-catering kitchen, redecorate the lounge and upgrade the external toilet/shower block. We will also install two safari tents to make the site more family-friendly, meaning a new generation of hostellers can enjoy this rural idyll as so many have done before them. Please consider helping us with a donation. You can find out more about the project here."

well I was there a few weeks ago and I can only think I must be a slob as it looked fine to me, NOTHING needed doing. The safari tents is what they really want to do I think, so make less space for other campers or push them out of the flatter spots, seen this happen at other YHA hostels eg Burley. The wont be getting any donations from me.
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

Used it 8 years ago (among other places) when looking round the country for a rural home. Still in contact with the then manager.
Last edited by Boyd on 10 Jan 2017, 11:33pm, edited 1 time in total.